Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in love with co sleeping and could not bear to put my 6 month old in a crib. BUT he wants to nurse alllllll night long. I feel like I amn a human binky. I thought at first it was a growth spurt but we are going on week three of him nursing seemingly non stop from about 11 pm till morning. Everytime I trey to latch him off and roll over he wakes and cries till I stick the nip back in his mouth. I even tried to sneak him a binky out of desperatiuon but that just pist him off. Alot of people are telling me to try cereal before bed but I dont want to since he is already eating solids 2 times a day. I want to keep my milk as his main nourishment as well as keep my supply up, ya know? But is this my only option? And would it really make a difference. I have read it doesnt really. Any other ideas? His last feeding is usually around 7 and he sleeps till 11 or so. I am sooooo freakin exhausted.....
Tonia

·
Registered
779 Posts
My DS just turned 6 mths and we are dealing with the same problem going on for 4 monthes and I have to try REAL hard to not turn mean and bitter from lack of sleep despite my best efforts to try and maintain my happy go lucky attitude. I have been posting several threads on here for the same problem and I have gotten more moral support than anything but it is the only thing that is working. I know how frustrating it is to hear how this to shall pass( which somehow it will, just not soon enough) and they only stay little for so long, which always makes me sad. I wish there was a magic wand for mamas like us and if I hear one more outsider tell me " let him CIO" I am going to scream! I hope you can find an answer. The best advice I can give you is if your husband is cool, it might take some coaxing, when he has nursed and it is obvious that you are being a binky, have your husband wear him in a sling ( he WILL protest this and he WILL cry) or rock him or do whatever AWAY from you. It will break your heart to hear him crying FOR you but dad is a parent just as much as you( which was hard for me to accept) who can soothe and be trusted. You are not letting him CIO because dad is soothing him, he just has to learn that mom isn't the be all end all of soothing. It is hard for us to do this consistly, which is REAL important, because my husband flys nights alot. I hope this works. It will not be a fast fix but with enough time, it should help. What kind of pacifire do you have. My DS only takes one kind that is so hard to find, The SILICONE soft center gerber. Good luck and let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
DS is 6mo too. Sometimes it feels like he wants to be latched on all night long. Some nights he just latches on once or twice.

Does your DC ALWAYS want to be latched, or is it certain times like a growth spurt or teething or developmental milestone? That's when mine wants to stay latched.

Sometimes if we've had a rough day of teething or crawl practice too.

How are your days? Do you get enough quiet time together during the day? Do you nap with DC?

Wondering if your day has an impact on your night.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank yo for respomding. As far as wether our days impact...he has been super sensitive since birth and I think he soaks up the pure one on one contact at night since he has two older brothrs who also vie for my attention. It just cn be tough when my 2 yr old also does not sleep through a night without seeking me out at least once or twice. It is a good point about relying on DH more when it comes to soothing techniques. Maybe that would work. I just tend to take control and make the children just mine when they are infants, ya know? It IS hard to hear him cry for me and not take him. But this sleep deprivation is killing me. As far as the bink, we do not use it often, but he has no prob taking it EXCEPT at night.
Hoping he will find his routine soon. I spoke t a mom of a 3 month old today who sleeps nearly al night and it killed me to think of it! I certainly do not expect that. But maybe getting to sleep on my stomache for a little bit...it just sounds like heaven. LOL
Tonia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.