Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your babe's sleep alone?

I know we probably all co-sleep, but can you actually put your babe down and have them sleep? Or do they wake up? I know that at this age, they go in a light sleep first, and it really takes 20 min for them to enter the deep sleep, but even if I wait, Gavin still wakes up 1/2 the time..

I had a bad chiro appt yesterday and I am having a lot of trouble laying down, especially with a sleeping baby on my chest or on my side..

My first DS wouldn't even let me put him down and it seems like this one is the same, or is it us?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
SOmetimes Yann sleeps alone, but I do spend part of the night with him sleping on me.
During the day, we go through 30 minute to an hour cycles of nurse, burp, diaper change, nurse, burp, diaper change, nurse etc then it takes a while to really be able to put him down without him waking up. Once he is really asleep he will sleep for a long time though... and then I miss him, and have to go lie down next to him and smell his sweet smell.

I hope your back feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
in the morning i can usually put her down by herself once she's in deep sleep. i have to wait a bit to make sure she's *sound asleep* though. too soon and she'll wake up. and it really only works in the morning.
fwiw i couldn't put dd1 down by herself. i joked that she had a "nipple detection system" and if she got more than 1 inch away from it she knew it and would wake up.
it can be very hard on a mama to have a babe on you 24/7

i hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
i put her in the swing today and felt awful.....but today it's too hard to carry her and interact with her big sister who today i apparently sound like the teacher from Charlie Brown......plus, every time i get the baby to sleep, she (big sister) starts screaming loudly and wakes her up...

my stepdaughter just left for 4 hours which brings a bit of peace and Dp decided that he too could leave for a few hours to go play some role playing miniature game at the hobby store leaving me here, up since 430am to deal with a super cranky high need toddler and the baby who wants to be latched on to me the entire time.....it's right, nor is it fair..my mom is in the hospital so i have been checking in here from there but am not staying long bc i have the kids with me.....anyhoo..tangent....

my first never slept on her own...someone (ME) always had to be touching her and still has to have a part ofher touching me or me touching her....

i have a feeling that this one will be the same.......lovin and hatin it at the
same time....

roflmao @ nipple detection...happy to know mine isn't the only one.....

however, that said, i can usually lay her down long enough to go to the bathroom and get a glass of water or something to drink...that's it....

mighty: hope yer back feels better soon.....

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Yes and no. Lately he's been miserable because of the thrush and the drops he's on, if things aren't just right he's a mess, so during the day he'll sleep in our arms or in the sling. In the early evening he'll typically sleep in the cosleeper for an hour or two, and during the night he'll sleep well until about 5 or 6, and then stay awake grunting and groaning until we take him into bed with us. Before thrush, he had no problem sleeping on his own so I think the medication is getting to him
:

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Dahlia sleeps really well and is a fairly easy baby. All my other three had to be in a very deep sleep to be able to set them down and 2 of the 3 still woke up promptly after being set down most of the time. It definitely seems to be a temperment thing. We have an Amby Hammock in the living room and we do set her in that when she is sleeping. She sleeps for a while a lot of the time but many times just wants to be held and nursed for hours. I am sorry your chiro appt was bad. That sucks. I hope that you can get some pain relief soon. I hate chronic pain. Eavan was super high needs and I found that swaddling him did help him stay asleep after I set him down.

Wendi

·
Registered
679 Posts
Lila sleeps alright in the swing or in the car but her favorite place is mom or dad's chest. When DS was a baby he would sleep anywhere. It amazes me how my children can be so different.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Sometimes, but not usually. Tends to sleep better in the bouncy if I set him down there than in the bassinet. I guess he just likes to be raised slightly- I never did look into those ambi bed or hammoc type beds, but I'm guessing that would be more popular than the bassinet which has seen probably thirty seconds of his sleep.
Although...strangely enough he has had long streches alone on our bed. It's a king futon right on the floor, so if the other boys aren't bouncing around the bedroom, I'll set him there, and he'll sometimes stay asleep.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
She will... but I have yet to find anywhere safe to lay her where her big brother can't get to her.... I've only set her down when I've HAD to, but that's going to change when DH goes back to work on Tuesday!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sean will usually take a nap on the couch or in the co sleeper for about an hour or so maybe once or twice a day, but he has to be in a good deep sleep before I lay him down or else he wakes right back up. My other two kids would never sleep alone, so it's nice that Sean will at times.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks mama's..

I'm glad it's not just my kids. Yesterday was a rough day, as he was in my arms all day, but he's got a little cold, so that's to be expected.. But the one thing I'm grateful is that he loves being w/ dh.. I joked w/ dh before this babe was born, and told dh, that this will be your baby.. DS1 is all about mom, and I have this feeling, Gavin won't be as clingy.

Dh takes Gavin for a few hrs each night, and Gavin sleeps great with him, probably because he doesn't smell like milk
, although he still tries to nurse from dh..

I actually broke down and took a pain pill last night (don't worry, Dr. Hale said the one I had was fine).. I slept great, I got a few hrs in a row, and slept peacefully, I haven't had that in over 6wks.

Gavin will sleep in his bouncy seat as long as he's had a good nursing.. And we are very lucky as DS1 really leaves him alone.

thanks again for the reassurance..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Lucy is a great daytime napper. She will go down in the co-sleeper at my office for 3-4 hours if I let her. I have been having to wake her because I feel like I am going to explode and need to nurse her. It never fails that when I decide to just pump instead of waking her that she wakes up 10 minutes later starving and pissed.

Now, night is a different story. She has to be in a sound....sound sleep before I can lay her down in the co-sleeper. Her favorite place to sleep is on my chest all froggied up. There are times that I have meant to put her down in the co-sleeper and just wake up with her on my chest. Oh well I figure at least we both got some sleep.

As much as I miss my sleep at night...she is the most active at night and I love our "private time."

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
our ds does not like to be alone, ever.
:

today was my first day back in class (she was born the 19th).

Dh works from home but, oy. I think they both need the boob for comfort.

·
Registered
964 Posts
We've been co-sleeping and every time I try and put her in the bassinet she doesn't seem to sleep as well. I have a hard time entering a deep sleep when she's next to me though because every little sound she makes wakes me up. DP is encouraging the bassinet sleeping for now just so I can get more rest, but I can't seem to give her up! I want her next to me all the time. I've had a total of 6-7 solid hours of sleep in the past 5 days...yikes...I'm exhausted, but feel I'll miss something if I sleep while she sleeps during the day.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What I've noticed and commented on to my DH is that if he takes DD and lies her down all swaddled she will at times sleep on for another hour or two. However, when I do the same thing, anytime of the day, she 90% of the time awakens. She smells me. I know it. The babes simply prefer to be in the arms of their mamas. Which is a no-brainer, but boy does having a free hand, or two, feel sooooooo good at times.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rebecca is a great day napper and will nap in a bassinet for an hour at a time. At night though, she is a babe in arms. She is very congested thanks to my 4 year old being in preschool, so I need to aspirate her nose before each nursing...poor thing! That is part of the in arms situation, since she needs to be propped up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.