Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has it around her left eye. We used an otc hydrocortisone cream for 4 days last week, which cleared it up, but it's back now that we've stopped. Unfortunately, when this first showed up, it was around the same time that we made a lot of changes--we moved to a place with carpet (which I've since gotten cleaned), we introduced solids, though only a few times (squash, carrots, peaches and pears), I drank some cow's milk for a few weeks, but stopped and started with soy again this week.<br><br>
So, I'm wondering if she has a food allergy. BUT, I drank cow's milk while pg, then toward the end I switched to soy milk and have been drinking it for months, so I guess I'm unclear about the possibility of them causing problems now after so much time has passed. I am going to try a food elimination diet--no soy, no dairy, no wheat. I'll take acidophilus, and stop giving her any solids.<br><br>
Can you think of anything else I should eliminate or add to my diet? Have you had any experience with this? BTW, my dd is almost 7 mths old, she's had this rash for 4 weeks. We started hydrocortisone last week and it cleared up after several days. Today, this morning when she woke, I noticed that it had flared up again.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
My ds with exzema has been allergic to dairy, wheat, white rice, soy, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, honey any kind of additives/preservatives, colours or flavours and most meat. The only things he could really eat were whole foods -- all veggies (except onion), all fruit & some whole grains.<br><br>
I specifically chose not to use a cortisone cream. Although it gives the "appearance" of clearing it up, it doesn't. From what I've read, exzema is a way for the body to release toxins. When the cortisone is applied, it actually forces the toxins back into the body. The rash does go away but then the toxins go back in and can affect other parts of the body.<br><br>
It is difficult having something going on with our children. I have been working to help find the root of my son's exzema & get his body into balance & working properly.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LJ, thank you for your reply. Are you/were you breastfeeding? And did you have any success eliminating those allergens from your own diet?<br><br>
Do you put anything on your son's eczema to soothe or protect it? My dd's doesn't seem to bother her, but I wonder if some kind of ointment would be useful. But then, it might inhibit release of toxins?? This is an idea I had not read about. I'm still researching the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Yes he was breastfeeding & still is. When it started he was 3 months old. I had to completely eliminate those foods from my diet and then I would notice changes.<br><br>
I have spent probably $500 on different creams, ointments, oils, etc. to try to help him. I have not found one that is really effective for my son. Everyone we talk to, every store we go it, someone seems to have "the best thing for exzema" but none of them have been good for my ds. The best I've used lately is a pure Vitamin A and E oil. It provides a little comfort.<br><br>
When his itching has been really bad, I've found that wetting a cammomile tea bag or a licorice tea bag & rubbing it on provides some comfort. The only time he seems to itch is through the night.....so it's not always practical to make tea bags.<br><br>
I know how you feel about doing all the "right" things and still having allergies. I tend to believe that a lot of the problems probably originated in my body as I was vaccinated, ate lots of processed foods growing up & as a young adult, ate lots of fast food and other things.<br><br>
Right now I'm trying a new program with him. I'm giving him the following daily:<br>
flaxseed oil - as a source of essential fatty acid<br>
acidophilous - to encourage & reculture good bacteria<br>
digestive enzymes - to help encourage easier breakdown of foods<br>
a homeopathic parasite & fungal remedy - to get rid of any<br>
a multi-vitamin & vitamin<br><br>
I am encouraged & really hoping to see some results.<br>
We have also had success with NAET (a treatment that gets rid of allergies) but our practitioner is about an hour away & we don't get there very often. So I'm hoping these supplements will help.<br><br>
I hope you find some answers for your dd too.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have successfully ridded myself of eczema so there is hope that it can be done. Here's a few items of info:<br><br><br>
If you have had eczema for a long time it may take quite a while to clear it up.<br><br>
Food allergies is the most common. Wheat and dairy are the two biggies for me. Soy is also very difficult to digest (unless fermented like miso) so that may be your issue. Sugar is also very bad as is stresses your addrenals which are working so hard anyway in an allergic environment.<br><br>
Yes cortisone only covers up the problem and is not good for you. But sometimes you have to relieve that itch or you will go crazy. And at times, not having that itch can help you mentally or emotionally heal.<br><br>
I make a very simple salve that relieves eczema temporarily but is not of course the cure. Soak St. Johnswort flowers in olive or grapeseed oil for six weeks in sun (wild is best). Strain and warm with beeswax (1 part wax to 4 parts oil). You can add a couple drops of vitamin E oil and a few drops of essential oils for added healing effects (I use Essential Oil of Lavender and Peppermint).<br>
This may sound like a lot. You can probably buy something similar in natural foods store.<br><br>
If you have any lanisoh (or lanolin) left over from breastfeeding, that can relieve itching although it's quite sticky.<br><br>
I found that stress was the number 2 reason for my skin problems (bad food the 1st). So anyway you can find to relieve stress will help. Of course sometimes it's so hard to take the time to take care of yourself when your caring for others.<br><br>
Good luck, Mary TG

·
Registered
838 Posts
we use oatmeal to soothe dds excema. hers was on the belly, so we could just plop her in a tub, fill a sock with oatmeal and put it in there with her, kinda like a giant oatmeal tea. if you squeeze the wet sock this gooey stuff comes out that is very soothing when applied directly to sore spot.

·
Registered
726 Posts
...is an IgE response problem.<br><br>
"Leaky gut" is the syndrome and my "Hope, Faith, and Activism thread on the VAX forum has some great links and info:<br><br><a href="http://mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82341&highlight=hope+faith+and+activism" target="_blank">http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...h+and+activism</a><br><br><br>
The Power of the Probiotics,<br><br><br>
Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts