Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow, I am cooking a good portion of the Meal. I have the turkey, cranberry relish, and dressing. I also have MAJOR nausea! Any suggestions as to how I can make this easier on myself? Everything is super easy to do so I have that going for me! I make the turkey in an oven bag (if you haven't used them before, buy one today...little work and best tasting turkey ever), just food process the relish, and pretty easy dressing. I am trying to do a lot of it today, but we will see how that goes.

I did take half of a nausea pill a little while ago. I am trying to take as little medication as possible, but this baby is not making this easy!

Oh...and does anyone know how much a bag of fresh cranberries holds? My hubby brought home a small carton last night, but I need how much is in a bag.

·
Registered
942 Posts
DH & I will be cooking dinner for the 3 of us. He's in charge of turkey (rotissery on the grill) and mashed potatoes. DD and I will do the fruit salad, yams & greenbean casserole. I usually do pumpkin pie, but I cheated this year and bought a pumpkin cheesecake from Costco. MMmmmm... cheesecake.....

eta - I bought a can of cranberry sauce so I wouldn't have to think about that bit. When I make fresh, I just follow the instructions on the bag.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the recipe that I always use for the cranberry relish, but I have a carton. My recipe calls for a bag. Just trying to find the difference in cups between the two.

Oh. Rotissery is my major food aversion from last pregnancy. Luckily, we have a bunch of people coming (who all know) so I don't really have that much work to do.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi Mel - the bag of cranberries I have here on hand (and I believe it's a standard sized bag) is 12 oz.

Good luck! I offered to do the whole feast for our crowd of 17. I LOVE cooking thanksgiving dinner. I'm 5w3d today and just now starting to feel a little green around the gills. Mostly it hits me in the late afternoon/evening though, so I'm just hoping I can get through tomorrow (we're feasting at noon) before any MS hits me full on!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm so ill and since we are alone this thanksgiving... its all on me to cook. I tried to do a lot of the cooking today in the am, when I am nauseous but not as exhausted and less likely to gag. Also we are vegetarian so no turkey!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm going to make up the pies tonight. Probably cut veggies today as well so when I have to cook tomorrow morning I can have something to nibble on to keep the sickies at bay. Tday is a pretty relaxed affair for our family and my gram, dad and stbSIL & bro are going to come early to pitch in and help prepare. If I end up feeling yuck, they can finish off the cooking. I look at it this way, at least all the stuff is on hand, the kitchen to make it and if everyone gets to do more than they bargained for Oh Well, they can go home and eat soup if they don't like it

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm cooking for me and hubby. I haven't had the energy to cook anything for the past couple weeks, so this should be interesting!! All the sides are pretty simple, so I'm not too worried about that. Just thinking about mashed potatoes makes me feel pukey though, so I may have to leave that one for hubby to handle. I'm not looking forward to the turkey. Chicken has been making me nauseous lately, so I'm assuming the turkey will too. I probably won't even end up eating it. Good luck tomorrow ladies!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the biscuits and cornbread made (and crumbled) for the dressing! Yea! Now, have to go back to the store to buy 2 more cans of cream corn, but we are good other than that. If I can get all the dishes in the sink washed (ok...empty the dishwasher and reload it), then I can have a clean work bowl for the food processor. Really don't remember when I used it last and why it is still dirty! This sick fest weekend has really done a number on my memory. I am so proud of myself for getting just a little bit done. I have only had 1/2 of a nausea med today so I am feeling good about that too. Woo-hoo! Oh, and cherries are back in season. Yea! I craved them SO much with my son. This pregnancy is just a month (and 3 years) behind my first so it will be funny to see if I eat the same things. I had to pick up some blackberries while I was at it. This summer ds and I ate a big carton of blackberries a week for the same price of the tiny carton I bought today.

Good luck ladies! I have faith that we can all dig deep, fight the sickies and green gills, and get the job done!

I also picked up some pretty flowers, too. It really made me feel like I was doing better (even though my house is still a wreck). At least hubby and ds can help me clean tomorrow.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm cleaning pumpkins for pies and I'll be making the sweet potatoes (topped with caramelized apples, yum!) and cranberry sauce to bring up to grandma's house tomorrow, so I have some stuff to do but not too much.

I am working tonight but I work from home so I can get a lot done while I wait for the phone to ring!

good luck to the rest of you who are taking on the whole shebang!

-P

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you have it under control gr8tful! Yea! My cranberry relish is marinating, the turkey is thawed, and all the ingredients are ready to be mixed and cooked for the dressing. Now that my hubby has the turkey to do...I tell you...just a little olive oil, flour, and the bag...he wants to do something special to it. Why must the boys mess with a good thing???? Apparently he is creating a magic turkey rub for the turkey. Does the turkey really want this? Does my delicate stomach want this? That is the part that worries me because just a nice, moist turkey has been sounding good today.

Oh, I actually ate 3 meals today. Horray! Ok, so they were little, bity meals, but that is progress!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I am cooking for everybody today.. well sorta. We don't have turkey because my papa is allergic and dh doesn't eat it so we usually do ham which my wonderful grandma is baking before she comes and I will be fixing the rest. Mainly mashed potatoes and veggies. I have other family members bringing other stuff and I am so glad we did it this way this year because honestly with my lack of energy I don't think I could have done it.
I am debating on making some fresh pumpkin bread.. even took the mashed pumpkin out of the freezer but don't know if I really want to create a huge mess in the kitchen before everybody comes over. I spent all week long trying to get and keep my house looking presentable... oi! It's passable for company now but nowhere near as clean as I would like it. I hope no one judges the bit of clutter and dust we have hanging around. I really tried my best and like my cousin said if people are gonna judge me like that then they shouldn't be here anyway. Still enough to make me stress though. Good luck to all of you and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.