Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still seeing the mws at my OB/MW practice (i delivered witht hem for my first two births), but I'm planning on a UC. Obviously, I haven't mentioned that detail... I want to leave the birth center as an option, just in case, and I don't feel comfortable UPing at this point. Has anyone else had a similar situation? How have you handled it? I'm not really sure how to explain, after the fact, why i just didn't call or go to the hospital, even after delivery. But I want to go there for postpartum care bc i need frequent paps...

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Most people use the "OOPs, baby came too fast" excuse. You could just say you felt fine afterward and didn't feel like coming in. And of course you had an emergency birth kit on hand, JIC.

· Premium Member
15,163 Posts
I get regular prenatal care. I create two "birth plans", one for our UC/HB and one for a JIC hospital birth.

When I "Oops!" a birth, I just make an appointment with the pedi, and then next day I call the OB and tell them that I have already had my baby, did not make it to the hospital, baby is doing perfect (as am I), I have already taken the baby to the pedi and since there were not problems I would not be coming in until my 6wk pp check up. I then make the appointment and leave it at that. I have never really had a problem before.

· Premium Member
813 Posts
I am doing the same, although I hace had a different OB with each baby. However, I'll just say that I knew from experience that everything was fine, which is why I never bothered calling or going in after delivery; and that's assuming they even notice I never show up again!

· Registered
3,891 Posts
I tried that with my last pregnancy, but it just didn't feel right. I quit my midwife at about the 20 week mark, and went unassisted for the rest. I'm curious as to why those who are planning UC's are still getting prenatal care at OB's that are medical minded. I peed on a stick now and again, and took my bp at least once a month(then gave birth at 37w). Otherwise, I just ate well and listened to my body.

I feel like going to an OB will just be a detriment to my own unhindered labor. Of course we all make the choices we are comfortable with and I am not judging anybody for their choice. I am more curious than anything else.

· Premium Member
15,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustLia23 View Post
I tried that with my last pregnancy, but it just didn't feel right. I quit my midwife at about the 20 week mark, and went unassisted for the rest. I'm curious as to why those who are planning UC's are still getting prenatal care at OB's that are medical minded.
Well, my reasoning is that I am choosing to have an unassisted birth. But, I am not willing to sacrifice our safety for an experience. (Not that anyone here is doing that, but I have heard it SO often IRL.) Inorder for me to be prepared, I need to know what is going on with my body. So, I get prenatal care that includes an u/s, bloodwork, and general overall checks. I may or may not choose to continue that "routine" care all the way. Sometimes I have not had care past half way and others only a single visit (after I got all my info that I needed to ensure the best possible outcome for me and my baby).

And now, I have several conditions that I am dealing with that could potentially be life threatening. Thus, I will continue care uptil and past the birth, JIC. Because I will not endanger myself or my child for any reason. And for me to NOT get prenatal care (at this point) would do so.

In addition, for the JIC, if I have prenatal care and something goes wrong in the end, I will have someone I know to be there to assist me.

That is my reasons for not totally UPing.

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Quote:

I tried that with my last pregnancy, but it just didn't feel right. I quit my midwife at about the 20 week mark, and went unassisted for the rest. I'm curious as to why those who are planning UC's are still getting prenatal care at OB's that are medical minded. I peed on a stick now and again, and took my bp at least once a month(then gave birth at 37w). Otherwise, I just ate well and listened to my body.

I feel like going to an OB will just be a detriment to my own unhindered labor. Of course we all make the choices we are comfortable with and I am not judging anybody for their choice. I am more curious than anything else.
Well, I was going to UP this time around, but I ended up qualifying for state health insurance, so all my prenatals are covered. I would have had to buy a B/P cuff and get some urine test strips for protein, etc. and keep a log of my weight and blood pressure and whatever else. At least this way I have someone who I "know" a little bit and knows a little bit about me and my wishes, should I have to transfer to the hospital if my UC doesn't go smoothly. Also, I was worried about finding someone to do my "piece of mind" ultrasound @ 20 weeks. Honestly, I was ready for an u/s by 12 weeks, there were just so many stories of mamas in my DDC who carried babies that "just stopped growing" and died in the first trimester and they didn't find out until they got an u/s and saw there was no heartbeat. I was especially worried because I was breastfeeding my son during my pregnancy, and there is a possible link between breastfeeding during pregnancy and an increased risk of miscarriage - I just wanted to know everything was okay. My mom lost a baby @ 14 weeks when she was bf'ing me, and she was giving me a lot of grief about continuing to breastfeed. Just a lot of negativity from all around that eventually lead to me to seek outside reassurance by going to an OB. It probably doesn't help that I work in the medical field, so I have a lot of "baggage" due to everything I've been force-fed concerning the need to rely on doctors, i.e. all the awful things that supposedly will happen if you don't run to the doctor for every little cough and scratch.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
I did that last time, needed to transfer. I decided not to do it again because I believe they caused my need to transfer. They were putting SO much pressure on me to have a c-section for my twins that I ended up having high BP and eventually Pre-e. I do think I needed to be seen regularly because of the fact I had identical twins and the risks associated with them, but If I were ever to conceive fraternals I'd not go near a hospital unless absolutely needed. This time I have a MW backup. I bounce questions off her from time to time and I call her with updates to keep her in the loop but otherwise she'll be coming to check the baby once he's born and do his initial exam and paperwork as a cover my butt sort of thing. I'm afraid of a fight when I go the the Pedi without something "official" to hand them.

· Premium Member
15,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
I'm afraid of a fight when I go the the Pedi without something "official" to hand them.
I would not worry about this. I have never had anything "official" to give my pedis, and I have never had a problem at all.

· Premium Member
813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
This time I have a MW backup. I bounce questions off her from time to time and I call her with updates to keep her in the loop but otherwise she'll be coming to check the baby once he's born and do his initial exam and paperwork as a cover my butt sort of thing. I'm afraid of a fight when I go the the Pedi without something "official" to hand them.
i like this idea! i may run it by a mw i have spoken with and see what she thinks......

· Registered
1,642 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditaMamacita View Post
I'm still seeing the mws at my OB/MW practice (i delivered witht hem for my first two births), but I'm planning on a UC. Obviously, I haven't mentioned that detail... I want to leave the birth center as an option, just in case, and I don't feel comfortable UPing at this point. Has anyone else had a similar situation? How have you handled it? I'm not really sure how to explain, after the fact, why i just didn't call or go to the hospital, even after delivery. But I want to go there for postpartum care bc i need frequent paps...

For a midwife, after the fact I'd probably tell it like it was- Time came to go somewhere, or to call you to have you come over (if it's a HB MW) and it just didn't feel right, I felt I needed to be alone so I was.

For me, with my only option of OB/hospital birth, I'm not telling my dr anyway since he refuses to see me once the baby is out (weird) but I'm planning on telling my family and friends that the time came to go to the hospital and I refused to go- which will be true! If they push I can tell them I told DH he'd have to drag me out kicking and screaming (which I did tell him- yesterday, haha!) They all know how I feel about hospitals and while they might disapprove, what are they going to say? "Try to be less scared of hospitals next time"? Big deal.

Quote:

I tried that with my last pregnancy, but it just didn't feel right. I quit my midwife at about the 20 week mark, and went unassisted for the rest. I'm curious as to why those who are planning UC's are still getting prenatal care at OB's that are medical minded

This is my first UC. I'd rather have someone follow me for the pregnancy so that A. I can qualify for maternity benefits B. it'll be easier to get the birth registered (still don't know how to do that, I need to ask someone) and C. in case something comes up, I'm not dealing with questions of "why weren't you seeing someone for the pregnancy?" and I have the peace of mind (as much as anyone does!) that this pregnancy is "normal."

It's easier to see an OB every few weeks and nod and smile and ignore him then it would be to fight with stuff or have unfounded worries later on, IMO.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

I only decided about a month ago to UC this time, so I was seeing my MW (through my OB/MW practice) for obvious reasons. I haven't stopped because the I want to have the option to transfer into the care of those i absolutely TRUST in an emergency. I have had two wonderful birth center births with the midwives there, almost completely UC, even caught my own babies. When my dd was having trouble nursing, one of the MWs came out to my house, 40 minutes away, and stayed for 12 hours helping with her feeding issues. They are just wonderful. I absolutely trust them, their medical advice, etc. So I feel completely safe going there for prenatal care. They don't in any way stress me out or anything. Also, I have Pap issues and need ongoing gyno care, which i also get from them, so i do need to be in contact with the office every few months anyway. Every visit, i think to myself, "I could totally have accomplished this at home, by myself. Why do I keep coming?" But at the end of the day, i feel more confident and secure that I'm having an extremely low-risk pregnancy after going, so it's just important to me.

· Registered
2,490 Posts
im planing a UBAC - i cant have a midwife attend here in AK but they are doing all my prenatals as i know and like them and i can be open and honest about what i'm doing. I WILL make an ob apt sometime near the end for just one check so that IF i end up at the hospital at least someone knows who I am. and for a UC baby just call up and 'ooops baby came too fast thanks anyway!'

· Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditaMamacita View Post
I'm still seeing the mws at my OB/MW practice (i delivered witht hem for my first two births), but I'm planning on a UC. Obviously, I haven't mentioned that detail... I want to leave the birth center as an option, just in case, and I don't feel comfortable UPing at this point. Has anyone else had a similar situation?
I am seeing midwives who practice at a hospital adjacent birth center. I do not plan to birth there but I would like to see them for follow up care and to have someone to see me in case I don't feel something is right and decide I want an attended birth. Plus paperwork type stuff is easier that way. I like seeing a midwife to ensure that I am low risk, and sometimes just to confirm things that I was pretty sure about. For instance the other day I was nervous that the baby had moved posterior. I kept rolling onto my back when sleeping and then I was having trouble finding the baby's bum. I thought I found it in the middle of the top of my uterus, but then I felt a kick about an inch away and was confused. At my next appointment my midwife checked me and I actually had been spot on. Not sure how my baby contorts to kick so close to his/her bum, but I was glad to have someone with a lot more experience at palpitating (since I have only felt myself last pregnancy and this one) double check.

My plan was to call up and say things happened quick, though the fact that I have the birth kit and pool is a little suspicious

I rather like the PP's suggestion that when the time came it just felt right to stay home...that feels more honest to me.

· Registered
3,891 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I totally get the different comfort levels, it took me a while to find my own with my last pregnancy.

I actually had a midwife come out and "support" me, even though she was NOT the midwife I had been seeing. I am fairly positive it is the same midwife that Fyrebloom is likely seeing, since she's one of the only UC friendly midwives in MA. She was amazing BTW. She did only what I asked and nothing more. She also helped me turn my direct posterior baby, mostly with positional stuff. It also ended up being helpful getting a statement from her about being there and attesting that I did indeed give birth when I said. That was an interesting aspect over in MA, trying to file a Birth cert.

I think its so sad how they try to limit womens choices. Any and all women should be able to have the birth they want, be it at home without midwifery care or whatever.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for all the responses. I totally get the different comfort levels, it took me a while to find my own with my last pregnancy.

I actually had a midwife come out and "support" me, even though she was NOT the midwife I had been seeing. I am fairly positive it is the same midwife that Fyrebloom is likely seeing, since she's one of the only UC friendly midwives in MA. She was amazing BTW. She did only what I asked and nothing more. She also helped me turn my direct posterior baby, mostly with positional stuff. It also ended up being helpful getting a statement from her about being there and attesting that I did indeed give birth when I said. That was an interesting aspect over in MA, trying to file a Birth cert.

I think its so sad how they try to limit womens choices. Any and all women should be able to have the birth they want, be it at home without midwifery care or whatever.

If it's the same MW then that rocks. She is totally awesome and has been such an incredible support for me esp where I've had a couple of things I couldn't answer myself. The birth cert is the other thing I'm hoping goes smoothly or at least moreso with her assistance. I'll be seeing the pedi a few days after but I think it's just easier to have her help with all that.

· Registered
462 Posts
Quote:

I initially went back to prenatal care because of the fiasco last time. I have UPed for 2.25 PGs, and UCed with 2 of those. The middle one, I had a hospital birth with the practice I am with now, after a UP. The last birth, I lost a twin, and had HUGE PPH issues. This time, I lost a twin again, and so even though I planned to UC closer to the hospital, I wanted the back up JIC of a PPH issue and need to transfer. I do have Methergine on hand. THey know how fast my births go once I realize I am in labor, so they would totally buy the too fast birth thing. And, they don't have a problem with an afterbirth transfer, so I know that would go ok if I had to. Kymberli

· Registered
1,205 Posts
For my 3rd, I wanted a waterbirth like I had had with my first 2. Where we're living now a midwife or assisted homebirth is not an option and the hospital wouldn't permit a birthing tub. I told the doctors at my prenatal visits that I would rather birth at home where I'd have the tub than go to the hospital. The doctor I saw most was very supportive of my decision. I'm not against medical care, I just felt that I would be more relaxed and that the birth would go more smoothly at home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.