Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my naturopath's suggestion, I would like to try to go wheat and dairy free to see if it clears up my son's eczema. But what the HECK can I feed a 4 year old and 2 year old?

I have to pack a nut-free lunch for him every day. His favorite snack is cheese strings, though he does love fruits and vegetables. His absolute favorite food is pasta, he would eat it every day (with a slice of pizza thrown in here or there). He will eat pretty much anything as long as it tastes good, (he does have fairly refined taste buds) so I don't really want to waste money on things like soy cheese or anything else he'll think is gross.

I also want to minimize processed foods.

I can probably figure out some dinner ideas - meat and vegetables, potatoes occasionally, fruit for dessert. Maybe I can make some teriyaki or honey garlic chicken skewers, barbequed beef, etc.

I am really struggling for lunch ideas though. His typical lunches include tuna sandwiches (his fave), pizza buns, leftover pasta, tortilla wraps, etc - most always they contain wheat or cheese as the prime ingredient.

Help! Any ideas for fussy 4 year olds?

TIA
Kathy

· Registered
301 Posts
We're not as gluten free as I'd like but generally do fairly well avoiding dairy. I struggled a lot at first, as I too love almost any meal that is cheese based. I've found that making small changes works - we have tuna sandwhiches on rice cakes, for example. Some brands of rice pasta are actually quite good, and I understand that corn based tortillas exist, I've just never seen them way up here

Good luck!

· Registered
1,654 Posts
My toddler does eat some dairy. She likes scoops of nut butter as a snack. Trail mix. I'm not adverse to make a scrambled egg or two. Fruits- fresh and dried. Diced bits of carrot. We rely pretty heavily on nuts to keep dairy and wheat to a minimum.

· Registered
15,055 Posts
If you are willing to make it yourself or buy specialty products you can get get wheat free breads, pasta, and cereal still. We are gluten free for dd and 80% for the rest of us. There are some tasty products out there and homemade is even better (and cheaper).

A list of the wheat-free and dairy-free products that my kids like:

Rice based cereals
fresh fruit for breakfast
soy yogurt
homemade bread with applebutter, jam, or honey

fruit leather
rice or nut flour crackers
corn tortillas with refried beans with cheese (you can use soy cheese)
any meat
risotto
roasted veggies
fresh veggies dipped in hummus or nut butter
veggie soup
lentils
beans and rice
homemade non wheat tortillas for fajitas, burritos, or tacos
most crockpot meals
my kids especially love spaghetti, rice or quinoa noodles will work

for dessert coconut bliss is incredible!

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
If you need a sandwich-ish item for his lunch, then I'd reach for corn tortillas first. They need to be heated up before assembly or else they'll crack, but can then be chilled with no problem. I just slap them on the burner for a few seconds until they're hot and they start to puff up a little bit, flip them (with my fingers) and give them a few more seconds. Assemble the "sandwich" and pop it in the fridge for a couple minutes to cool back down.

However, if he can do leftovers in his lunch, then I'd go with that, it's much easier... rice balls, meatballs, shredded chicken, anything that can be eaten with his fingers would work. You can also do dips like hummus or bean dip with veggies.

· Premium Member
10,581 Posts
In addition to corn based tortillas, there are some great recipes for rice based tortillas as well as a few rice based tortillas which are available on the market (Trader Joe's sells one). There are a lot of great ideas in the Allergies forum's sticky, also.
If I had eggs, I'd totally do eggs for my ds's but ds1 is intolerant to them as well.
Tinkyada is an excellent rice pasta, imo. There are other brands of non-wheat pasta, such as Mrs. Leeper's. Some are corn based, some are corn and quinoa, some are rice based.
If you're going gluten free rather than just wheat free, that limits your options much more than you may realize. I haven't found a teriyaki yet which is gluten free, due to the soy sauce. San J's makes a good wheat-free tamari, which replaces soy sauce in everything for which I need it.
Really though, for great gluten-free, casein-free ideas, come on over to the Allergies forum. This is one of the biggest (most common) questions fielded there.

You may also want to check out a couple of blogs. Kathy from the Allergies forum has an excellent blog which is searchable by allergen- Kathy's blog. Menomena's blog is another one which you may be interested in perusing. They both contain wonderful recipes. Also, changingseasons has a great list for names of hidden ingredients on her blog (which I haven't been to lately and should check out to see what else she's done).
HTH.

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Were milk and gluten taken out of a hat? Or was it based on that they're the top 2? For eczema, corn and eggs are big hitters as well (just something to think about). And if it gets worse, then it may be soy, if you're substituting a lot of that. My kids are 3 and 8, and I find plenty for them to eat.

For breakfast:
millet pancakes
buckwheat pancakes
sorghum scones
Koala Crisp cereal (yum!)
Rice Chex
we use rice milk with the cereals
Cream of rice cereal with maple syrup or brown sugar (add some raisins)
smoothies -- coconut milk and/or coconut milk yogurt, fruit, ice, carrot juice

For lunch:
jelly sandwiches on corn tortillas
sandwich roll-ups with corn tortillas and deli meat (we use Thumann's brand for turkey and roast beef)
rice cakes with nut butter and jelly
cut up veggies (celery, carrots)
fruit

Dinner:
Chicken marsala
Stir fry beef or chicken over rice
Bean and chicken burritos with corn tortillas
hamburgers (no bun)
baked or poached or fried salmon
curried chickpeas
orange/pineapple chicken curry
pork goulash
pork roast with saurkraut
Baked beans

I'm hungry now. I'd better go eat some breakfast.

· Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

I'm hungry now. I'd better go eat some breakfast.
You made me hungry too!

And I'd 2nd the invitation to visit the Allergies forum, we're gfcf and getting meal ideas and just finding other people who have dietary restrictions helped with the transition. There's more hidden wheat/gluten than you'd expect, I got good ideas there.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Is it gluten you're avoiding, or just wheat? My younger sister suffered from severe eczema as long as she was eating wheat, but does just fine with spelt--which would give you alot of options like spelt pasta, pretzels, pizza crust, and bread. Spelt isn't gluten free, and it's very similar to wheat in other respects, but seems to be easier for alot of people to process.

· Registered
169 Posts
Just an addition to the great advice you've already gotten above. You might want to look into Bentos. This blog: http://lunchinabox.net/ has a ton of resources and she regularly posts what she's made for her young son. Japanese food tends to be dairy and easily gluten free so it might be a good option for you.

· Registered
2,251 Posts
Do you need to cut out both at once? Why not start with dairy and see what happens. Then move on to wheat. But if the eczema clears up after cutting out dairy then you would not have to worry about wheat. My 6 yr old has been dairy free for 2 years now. I find it is pretty doable. My MIL cannot eat gluten which is a much bigger challenge.

· Registered
7,970 Posts
Check out some asian cookbooks from the library--plenty of dairy & wheat free ideas in that sort of cuisine!

· Premium Member
10,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CCChanel View Post
But you can't use soy sauce! Or teriyaki... both contain wheat...

San-J makes a wheat free tamari sauce. Tastes just like soy sauce to me. (I think it *is* a soy sauce, not sure why the different name.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.