Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how did you do it? (I know on MDC there is a women w/ 6? DC's that didn't do until then, if you read this pls answer).

What about that grabby stage what made you think they didn't want any food?(I don't believe in the grab food thing, cause they grab for any and every thing).

How was the growth of your child during this time?

I want to wait until at least 12months but just feel confuse on the whole thing. I really don't think it is necessary until 12+ months but just want to get other people advice on this.

I am going home in July for family reunion and is going to be up against alot. Especially since some thought I should have started at 4m.o.

BTW he is making 8 months next week. He still nurses normal. Has slow down in weight(he moves alot, and is crawling).

TIA

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I've been thinking about this today, and I'm wondering... What is the "natural" (ie, pre-medical studies and recommendations) method of determining a baby is ready to eat? I mean, thousands of years ago, how did people determine this? Probably by the baby grabbing food, putting it in their mouth, and eating it.

I ask this because my 7.5 month old was grabbing at food (and yes, he really wanted food - he was NOT happy with just a toy or a spoon or a bowl... he really wanted to taste the food and knew that it was food) at 5.5 months, so I started letting him eat large pieces (like a whole banana). He didn't get much off for consumption. In the last 2 weeks, he's REALLY started eating for consumption more, and he gets fussy if I give him something that he can't chew and swallow. For example, today I had him chewing on an apple, but he really wanted more of my sandwich that he'd already had. He couldn't consume much off the apple and he got quite fussy about it.

So I'm just curious why you would purposely wait beyond when your child is asking for food? What is the reasoning, and is it really "natural"? I'm not condemning anyone for doing this - just curious about why you do it. I don't think it will hurt your child or cause them to grow poorly or anything. It just doesn't seem "natural" or "AP" to not allow a child to eat when they are showing signs that they really do want to. And that even goes for babies younger than 6 months... I don't think people thousands of years ago said "Oh, you're not 6 months yet, so you can't have food for another 2 weeks!" Wouldn't they have just followed their baby's cues?

Sorry to take the thread on a tangent before it gets started...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
It just doesn't seem "natural" or "AP" to not allow a child to eat when they are showing signs that they really do want to. And that even goes for babies younger than 6 months... I don't think people thousands of years ago said "Oh, you're not 6 months yet, so you can't have food for another 2 weeks!" Wouldn't they have just followed their baby's cues?

Sorry to take the thread on a tangent before it gets started...

I guess you could consider me not "AP" for not believing in the grabbing concept so strick. From 3.5months he started grabbing things. At 4 + every thing he grabbed, laptop, cords, food, plate, dog mess, paper towel.....but I wouldn't give him all he grabs for because he is just a curious baby. He is still gaining and does not nurse any different. I will just google it out to find more info.

Thanks everyone though

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think their is a big difference between your baby grabbing at things and actually wanting food. My daughter is 8 months old and we CANNOT eat in front of her unless it is something we can share or she will get very upset and scream at us. She wants food, not just the spoon, she wants what we are eating and she will not take no for an answer, lol.
Sebrina

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebrinaw View Post
I think their is a big difference between your baby grabbing at things and actually wanting food. My daughter is 8 months old and we CANNOT eat in front of her unless it is something we can share or she will get very upset and scream at us. She wants food, not just the spoon, she wants what we are eating and she will not take no for an answer, lol.
Sebrina
Yeah, that's what I was talking about with the grabbing thing. Not just grabbing everything, but specifically grabbing at FOOD and wanting it in their mouth and getting upset if they don't get it. When I had to wrestle my baby for a chicken thigh, I knew he was ready for food.

I don't think you're not AP if you don't feed food when they start grabbing random things, but it just seems to me that if the baby is grabbing for FOOD and really wanting food, being AP would be listening to that baby's cues, right? Likewise, if baby does NOT want food until after a year, being AP is listening to those cues too! There may be a reason (like allergies) that baby is not wanting food until after a year.

I just don't understand why anyone would withhold food from a baby who WANTS the food. That's my question.
And it goes for prior to 6 months on up. Isn't listening to the baby the best thing for that baby? If they're not interested in food, then absolutely don't push food on them. But if they really really really want food, why not give it to them?

And again, I'm just trying to understand. I'm not trying to berate the OP or anything like that, so please don't take offense to my questions.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I only can speak from my own experience with dd, I suppose we technically "tried" to introduce solids when dd was 6 months old b/c at the time we assumed it was the thing to do... the thing is, DD did not WANT solids, not until she was around 16-18 months did she start showing an interest in different foods (of course, she was breastfeeding round the clock all this time). At first I was alarmed, until I came to MDC and discovered that this is actually normal for breastfeeding babies---then I relaxed about the whole solids issue. Babies will take solids when they're ready.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boscopup;
Yeah, that's what I was talking about with the grabbing thing. Not just grabbing everything, but specifically grabbing at FOOD and wanting it in their mouth and getting upset if they don't get it. When I had to wrestle my baby for a chicken thigh, I knew he was ready for food.

I don't think you're not AP if you don't feed food when they start grabbing random things, but it just seems to me that if the baby is grabbing for FOOD and really wanting food, being AP would be listening to that baby's cues, right? Likewise, if baby does NOT want food until after a year, being AP is listening to those cues too! There may be a reason (like allergies) that baby is not wanting food until after a year.

I just don't understand why anyone would withhold food from a baby who WANTS the food. That's my question.
And it goes for prior to 6 months on up. Isn't listening to the baby the best thing for that baby? If they're not interested in food, then absolutely don't push food on them. But if they really really really want food, why not give it to them?

And again, I'm just trying to understand. I'm not trying to berate the OP or anything like that, so please don't take offense to my questions.

hi! my dd is 6 1/2 mos and couldn't care less`about food. she grabs a lot but when i gave her some banana she'd been staring at she squished it, looked grossed out and dropped it.
i'm she will let us know when she's ready.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebrinaw View Post
My daughter is 8 months old and we CANNOT eat in front of her unless it is something we can share or she will get very upset and scream at us. She wants food, not just the spoon, she wants what we are eating and she will not take no for an answer, lol.
Sebrina
My ds acts this way towards the laptop
never food
: and I guess that is why I am confused about the grabbing thing because he get more upset for electronic stuff and sometimes do not pay much mind to us when eating and sometimes he does, so I do not see it as a big thing.

I did let him try a melon but he laughed at me when I was giving it to him and after couple minutes took it suck it for 2secs, pitched it on the ground and went for a paper bag
:

boscopup sorry didn't mean to sound snarky (as they say here).

I am just very alone in this AP or different method of doing stuff and have not one single person to relate to with many of my choices. At least most of them respect it so far, at least in my present. And not much know I will do extended BF yet. My FSIL just said it will seem weird, gross and wrong(and she was Breastfeed for about 2years
: ) My DH's SIL comes the closest - she cosleep and will until Breastfeeding is over, but she also had no problem w/ given formula and said she might BF until baby bites, but she is really trying for a year and some other stuff, but they moved to VA.

I am doing alot of things different from my family. I am basically the weird one in the family.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.