Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm considering using vinegar in my wash but how much do you put in? and at what part of the wash cycle?<br>
Thanks!<br>
Amy

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've read a few sources that say to use a Downy ball hall full of white vinegar. This seems like the easiest way to me, but since we seem to have hard water, I am not sure I am going to try the vinegar method.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by roseselene</i><br><b>Hi! I'm considering using vinegar in my wash but how much do you put in? and at what part of the wash cycle?<br>
Thanks!<br>
Amy</b></td>
</tr></table></div>

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, i'm kind of new to this, but why wouldn't you use vinegar if you have hard water?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using vinegar with hard water. In fact, it may help remove detergent and mineral residue and leave your diapers softer!<br>
Some people have certain minerals in their water or sulphur (sp?) or something that makes a big stink issue when they use vinegar. I have not experienced this problem myself. I think some people have a problem simply because they are using it in the final rinse and then have stinky vinegar on their diapers.<br>
I always recommend using vinegar in the rinse right after the wash with detergent because it helps remove detergent and restore the proper ph. Then I recommend doing a second rinse with nothing. You don't want vinegar residue in your diapers, it doesn't smell very good and could even be irritating to the skin.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've read that with hard water, the diapers tend to hold on to the vinegar. It probably depends a lot on how hard your water is, and exactly which minerals make it hard. I have a feeling my first few weeks of diaper washing are going to be filled with experimentation... We moved here very recently so I don't know all about how our water works under various circumstances, but I do know it is leaving a lot of deposits in my iron unlike any water I have ever used, but I keep forgetting to buy distilled water to use instead or tap or drinking water.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by roseselene</i><br><b>Ok, i'm kind of new to this, but why wouldn't you use vinegar if you have hard water?</b></td>
</tr></table></div>

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I use a downey capful and I put it in our rinse container thingie (the part of the machine--sorry, aphasic today) and add water to dilute just like fabric softener. It hits during that first rinse cycle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts