Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've read a few sources that say to use a Downy ball hall full of white vinegar. This seems like the easiest way to me, but since we seem to have hard water, I am not sure I am going to try the vinegar method.

Quote:
Originally posted by roseselene
Hi! I'm considering using vinegar in my wash but how much do you put in? and at what part of the wash cycle?
Thanks!
Amy

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using vinegar with hard water. In fact, it may help remove detergent and mineral residue and leave your diapers softer!
Some people have certain minerals in their water or sulphur (sp?) or something that makes a big stink issue when they use vinegar. I have not experienced this problem myself. I think some people have a problem simply because they are using it in the final rinse and then have stinky vinegar on their diapers.
I always recommend using vinegar in the rinse right after the wash with detergent because it helps remove detergent and restore the proper ph. Then I recommend doing a second rinse with nothing. You don't want vinegar residue in your diapers, it doesn't smell very good and could even be irritating to the skin.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've read that with hard water, the diapers tend to hold on to the vinegar. It probably depends a lot on how hard your water is, and exactly which minerals make it hard. I have a feeling my first few weeks of diaper washing are going to be filled with experimentation... We moved here very recently so I don't know all about how our water works under various circumstances, but I do know it is leaving a lot of deposits in my iron unlike any water I have ever used, but I keep forgetting to buy distilled water to use instead or tap or drinking water.

Quote:
Originally posted by roseselene
Ok, i'm kind of new to this, but why wouldn't you use vinegar if you have hard water?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.