Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_149824.html

Quote:
DEARBORN, Mich. - By shunning government loans, Ford Motor Co.'s top executives say they hope to buff up the automaker's image and set it apart from its cash-starved Detroit competitors, General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Interesting.

I found this odd.

Quote:
GM and Chrysler are in desperate need of government money and may not last until the end of the year without it.
There's less than a month left in the year. They are that bad off? It sounds like they should have started making changes and plans to divert this a loooooooooooooooooong time ago already. Makes you wonder if they just assumed the government would 'help' them out all along.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
I read somewhere that Ford said they didn't need the money but would like to know it's there as a safety measure.

Gee.. where can I go get a few billion for a "safety measure?" Heck I would settle for ONE billion.
Even a million.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I read somewhere that Ford said they didn't need the money but would like to know it's there as a safety measure.

Gee.. where can I go get a few billion for a "safety measure?" Heck I would settle for ONE billion.
Even a million.

I'd settle for $50 bucks!

:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Ford said they didn't need the money unless the economy stayed bad. So, they need the money. They are just trying to improve their image.

GM and Chrysler could have said the exact same thing, we wouldn't need money if the economy wasn't bad.

I'm 100% certain Ford will be needing bailout money in a few months.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Seriously, would it be so bad to have a few auto makers crash a burn? Its not like there's going to be a shortage of cars and maybe it would spur better public transportation options.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Seriously, would it be so bad to have a few auto makers crash a burn? Its not like there's going to be a shortage of cars and maybe it would spur better public transportation options.
if it wasn't for all the families of those depending on the big 3 to make it, I would agree with you. It just isn't the big 3 that would fold though. You have the dominoe effect, suppliers and distributors below them, suppliers and distributors below them. You have the restaurants and industry around them that relies on them to survive. The unemployment rate is ridiculous now, if even one of the big 3 folded, the dominoe effect would be felt and the numbers of people affected would be massive.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I live in Michigan, and I can't tell you how devastating it would be. Things are already just AWFUL here. I know so many people who have lost their jobs.
Trust me, I am annoyed with these automakers big time. They have made so many idiotic decisions and I'm sorry, but the cars are not that great, and they seem to never learn. Yet the bailout is needed so that thousands and thousands of families are not devastated.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuttinhny View Post
if it wasn't for all the families of those depending on the big 3 to make it, I would agree with you. It just isn't the big 3 that would fold though. You have the dominoe effect, suppliers and distributors below them, suppliers and distributors below them. You have the restaurants and industry around them that relies on them to survive. The unemployment rate is ridiculous now, if even one of the big 3 folded, the dominoe effect would be felt and the numbers of people affected would be massive.

Exactly. The domino effect is already being felt.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Can someone help me out here? I don't get it. Propping them up doesn't seem to make any sense to me if 1. they don't have customers who have the money to buy anything from them 2. they aren't selling anything that those who have the money want to buy.

When the time is right for us to buy a car, we have zero intentions on buying one from any of those makers. It's not that we don't have a certain amount of loyalty to buying American and supporting union workers, it's because they don't make any cars that are even remotely close to what we want/need in a car. Honestly, the only reason we have two Chevy vehicles right now is because they (the big three) are the only ones who make larger engines and we need those. If the Tundra came in those sizes, we'd have two of those because, IOO, the quality is much better. It's too bad their cars aren't in any niche markets.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Can someone help me out here? I don't get it. Propping them up doesn't seem to make any sense to me if 1. they don't have customers who have the money to buy anything from them 2. they aren't selling anything that those who have the money want to buy.

When the time is right for us to buy a car, we have zero intentions on buying one from any of those makers. It's not that we don't have a certain amount of loyalty to buying American and supporting union workers, it's because they don't make any cars that are even remotely close to what we want/need in a car. Honestly, the only reason we have two Chevy vehicles right now is because they (the big three) are the only ones who make larger engines and we need those. If the Tundra came in those sizes, we'd have two of those because, IOO, the quality is much better. It's too bad their cars aren't in any niche markets.

I think the intent is to bail them out and for the car makers to get their act together and make better, more fuel-efficient products.

See, I *would* buy from them *IF* they were to do that. They need new top management leaders (IMO) that have a more progressive way of thinking. It's been suggested to fire the current CEOs (I agree with that). While they're at it, they need to stop the insanity of the CEO paychecks. I'm sorry, but the level of their pay makes me want to barf. They do not need that much money - CEO or not.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
I think the intent is to bail them out and for the car makers to get their act together and make better, more fuel-efficient products.

See, I *would* buy from them *IF* they were to do that. They need new top management leaders (IMO) that have a more progressive way of thinking. It's been suggested to fire the current CEOs (I agree with that). While they're at it, they need to stop the insanity of the CEO paychecks. I'm sorry, but the level of their pay makes me want to barf. They do not need that much money - CEO or not.
Okay, but isn't that too little too late then? They can't just redesign and retool everything in a matter of months. That stuff takes years to do for just one new vehicle. There's no way they can pull up out this one in any reasonable time frame that would help anyone, can they? All greed issues aside (and I doubt that will be resolved), I don't see how it is possible.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Quote:

Okay, but isn't that too little too late then? They can't just redesign and retool everything in a matter of months. That stuff takes years to do for just one new vehicle. There's no way they can pull up out this one in any reasonable time frame that would help anyone, can they? All greed issues aside (and I doubt that will be resolved), I don't see how it is possible.

Oh, you're right, it's obviously not possible. I don't think that they are saying that this will happen overnight. It doesn't negate the need for bailout so that so many jobs aren't lost however. The bailout is to temporarily keep those jobs so that in the future the company will improve.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
Oh, you're right, it's obviously not possible. I don't think that they are saying that this will happen overnight. It doesn't negate the need for bailout so that so many jobs aren't lost however. The bailout is to temporarily keep those jobs so that in the future the company will improve.
Is there any data anywhere that shows how many people would remain employed until full scale production is in swing? I can only assume that until the details, any Lord there are many, are worked out that only a percentage of people would still keep their jobs. Would it be enough jobs to prevent an irreversible and catastrophic collapse? I suppose these are all questions being asked in DC now with fuzzy answers.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Is there any data anywhere that shows how many people would remain employed until full scale production is in swing? I can only assume that until the details, any Lord there are many, are worked out that only a percentage of people would still keep their jobs. Would it be enough jobs to prevent an irreversible and catastrophic collapse? I suppose these are all questions being asked in DC now with fuzzy answers.
I hope DC puts it in a contract this time rather than just expecting them to do with it what was expected. Otherwise the executives might eat it all in bonuses and still lay everyone off.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I hope DC puts it in a contract this time rather than just expecting them to do with it what was expected. Otherwise the executives might eat it all in bonuses and still lay everyone off.
How many people really truly, deep in their gut, feel that they won't do that? I believe 100% that they will send everyone down the river and have no remorse for it.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Apparently the Ford CEO has agreed to forego his 10M salary if Ford does take bailout money.

My understanding is that Ford can get through the next year on cash reserves and apparently has some vehicles in the hopper that will meet demand. Of course, I may just be parroting Ford media consultants.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.