Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about once a week, there's a post about foreskin in cosmetics, usually asking how to find out if the makeup one of us uses has foreskins/has been tested in foreskins. It's SO HARD to find info on this! I've made it my spare time project to spend time in google, going through stuff to find out everything I can about this practice, including what the names of the products might be (it won't be listed as "foreskin" on the back of the bottle, but what WILL it be listed under?). As I find links, I will post them here if anyone is interested.

I also think this is really important for any parents that may be on the fence...I think this is the information really shows why circumcision isn't being stamped out in the US.

Here's one, about the company Avanced Tissue Sciences.
Foreskin derived product is referred to as "Fibroblast Conditioned Media".
http://www.nyscc.org/news/archive/tech0902.htm

Quote:
* The Development of Fibroblast Conditioned Media

Skin like a baby's. It's what we all want. But just what makes a baby's skin so soft, plump and smooth? And what changes as we grow older?

A newborn baby's skin produces an abundance of compounds important to healthy young skin, including growth factors antioxidants, soluble collagens, and matrix proteins that confer structure to skin.
This natural mixture of newborn skin compounds is produced by Advanced Tissue Sciences, Inc. from a pioneering process in the emerging field of tissue engineering that utilizes fibroblast cells from neonatal foreskins to produce human tissue replacements for the treatment of serious burns, wounds and other therapeutic indications. Fibroblasts are the cells responsible for growth and repair of the dermal layer of skin.

To date, the company has invested over $300 million
to develop its patented process for growing young, healthy skin to treat victims of serious burns and wounds, from which fibroblast conditioned media is derived. Product functionality is supported by clinical studies that demonstrate a reduction in the appearance and depth of fine lines and wrinkles with improved skin texture and elasticity - all in as little as 45 days. With over 40 patents for its proprietary, three dimensional tissue engineering process and the first patent issued for the use of fibroblast conditioned media in cosmeceutical applications, Advanced Tissue Sciences is uniquely qualified to supply this revolutionary, differentiated ingredient.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.revitacell.com/content.asp?ContentID=13
Revitacell Skincare

Quote:
In the manufacturing of human-based therapeutic skin tissue products used in a variety of medical treatments, the growing cell colonies bath continuously with a proprietary nutrient solution called Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media. As the cells grow and multiply, they, in turn, secrete the natural components of human skin, including human growth factors and collagen, into the nutrient solution. When applied to human skin, this naturally-enhanced nutrient solution essentially replicates Nature's own method of skin rejuvenation by providing topical replenishment of those elements that help regenerate healthy new skin cells. The key ingredient (69%) or the Revitacel Replenishing Complex is Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media which contains 5 human growth factors.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, not yet! November/December is rather hectic with work, so my online time is better spent working (not to mention the sweater I need to finish this week, :
)

Also, my laptop is in the shop...I am on a loaner from work. All my info is saved on that laptop, so I don't want to pay for more articles until I have my computer back.
Incidentally, I showed these to my DH and he was furious - he's not so much an "intactivist" but this edged him closer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts