Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for reassurance. My DS (almost 3) just went pee and said it hurt so I took a look at his foreskin and from the outside it looks fine. He is at least partially retratable (he figured that out a few weeks ago) so I gently pulled back a little and I can see that part of the foreskin on the inside is read and clearly tender. We gave him some motrin for pain and inflammation and we'll keep an eye on it as the day goes on.

Any thoughts? Maybe he pulled it back a little farther then it wanted to go and it's irritated? Anything I can do to help him out? Anything to avoid so I don't accidentally make it worse?

Thanks!
Jennifer

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pod4One View Post
Just a quick question for reassurance. My DS (almost 3) just went pee and said it hurt so I took a look at his foreskin and from the outside it looks fine. He is at least partially retratable (he figured that out a few weeks ago) so I gently pulled back a little and I can see that part of the foreskin on the inside is read and clearly tender. We gave him some motrin for pain and inflammation and we'll keep an eye on it as the day goes on.

Any thoughts? Maybe he pulled it back a little farther then it wanted to go and it's irritated? Anything I can do to help him out? Anything to avoid so I don't accidentally make it worse?

Thanks!
Jennifer
A small number of boys feel some soreness when separation begins to occur. It is transient and should pass in a day or two. We have a thread about this which I'll bump for you.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
The glans is normally quite red, so that in itself is not necessarily an indicator of infection, problem, or even of "tenderness". He can pee in a cup of warm water or in bath water, to dilute the urine so it doesn't sting. Some boys do have a transitory sensitivity or inflammatory response (redness or swelling) as the foreskin progressively separates and new areas are exposed underneath. This should go away in a day or two.

Gillian

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not his glans that is red and inflamed, that looks fine. It's a small part of the foreskin on the inside near the glans. He pees says it hurts and cringes if I try to take a look. I keep telling him I'm sorry and that he'll be OK but I don't want him to retain his urine because of the pain.

How long should I keep an eye on it before making a pedi appt? I'll look for that thread too.

Jennifer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.