Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was mentioning to my DH that I had read some info about restoration, and to my surprise he is very interested (probably because of all the research we did about circ and keeping DS intact). He has a few questions for those of you who have gone through it (Frank) or know someone who has:

What method do/did you use?

How long did it take?

Do you need a lot of remaining foreskin (I think he has enough left, but it's not a whole lot)?

How many hours a day do you use the resoration device (don't know what else to call it)?

Does it function similarly to natural foreskin (after retraction, will the skin go back over the glans itself?)?

Does the skin taper at the end?

Does it feel natural?

How do you like it...any regrets?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by karlin
So, I was mentioning to my DH that I had read some info about restoration, and to my surprise he is very interested (probably because of all the research we did about circ and keeping DS intact). He has a few questions for those of you who have gone through it (Frank) or know someone who has:

I use one I devised myself. It works for me but i recommend he visit this site and review all of hte available methods as well as get some support.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/foreskinrestoration3/

Quote:
How long did it take?
The average is about 3 years.

Quote:
Do you need a lot of remaining foreskin (I think he has enough left, but it's not a whole lot)?
No, I didn't even have enough to accomodate my erection. It was pulled so tight that the skin was shiney. After restoration, my length increased by about 3/4" because some of it was being held within the pubic mound. It is typical for restored men to report an increase of 1/2" to 1".

Quote:
How many hours a day do you use the resoration device (don't know what else to call it)?
I only do it during the cooler months but when I do, it's 24/7. I just heard some new information that it can be done quite effectively with just about 30 minutes a day of manual stretching.

Quote:
Does it function similarly to natural foreskin (after retraction, will the skin go back over the glans itself?)?
In many respects, it does act as natural. However in most cases, it will not automatically recover the glans. Mine will if I sit down and lean forward. It just "pops" and it is back in. However, the normal elasticity of the skin will keep the glans covered once the "Fauxskin" is in place over the glans.

Quote:
Mine does and looks very natural. However not all do. It's a very individual thing.

Quote:
Does it feel natural?
That's a tough one to answer. I have no basis to know what a natural one would feel like. My best guess is that it does. I do know that it is a very comforting feeling to me when it is covered. There is a feeling that was very strange at first, almost a tingling sensation. That feeling is still there but I have become accustomed to it and now, it is kind of disturbing when it is not there.

Quote:

Thanks so much!

Absolutely none whatsoever. There is no way I would ever go back. I had almost lost my sex life and with restoration, it has come back like gangbusters. A common misconception is that the man's orgasm will be stronger and most men have very strong orgasms so that they can't imagine it beingany better. However, restoration opens up a whole new range of sensations and really doesn't affect the actual orgasm much. It's those other sensations that are the pay-off. Imagine a man who has perfect 20/20 vision. He can't imagine his vision being much better and would have little or no interest in wearing corrective lenses. However, imagine that he eventually learns that he is significantly color blind and has a procedure that restores his color vision. Think that's going to make him happy? It's the same thing for foreskin restoration.

Frank

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Frank, thanks for your frank answers (sorry I had to :LOL). I have wanted to ask you this very question for awhile but I'm afraid I was too shy and I didn't know if you would think me rude.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:

Heh. That latter would be me, the research wonk.

Quote:

There are so many distinct methods right now that describing them would take a massive post all its own (this one will be bad enough as it is). In brief summary, however, there are several broad categories:

Simple extension, created by weights or elastics attached to (A) tape, (B) double-shell gripping devices (TugAhoy, home-modified 'Egg Squirter' toys);

Compound extension, created by compressing the glans and/or shaft backwards and pulling the foreskin forwards (via a torsional screw against a glans cup, mounted in a surrounding frame, or with o-rings over 'packing' material inside the foreskin, which is often made of cut-down Nerf material);

Manual extension, created by gripping the foreskin with the fingers of one hand and holding the shaft skin back with those of the other;

Vacuum extension, created by placing the foreskin within a suction tube and pumping the air out.

That last, BTW, remains one of the most polarized topics of debate within the community. Many, including myself, are extremely wary of any application of vacuum to the human body, because we human beings are really not biologically built for it -- it's highly unnatural. A few proponents, however, continue to swear by it.

I recommend the Yahoo FR3 list also, but even more so Gary Burlingame's Restore-List. I'm subscribed to both, and I find Gary's Restore-List to have a slight edge in many areas -- technical acumen, creativity, originality, support, quality of list-moderation (and I say that last as someone who's had several private and public conflicts with Gary over the subject; Gary may not always agree with me, but he listens to reason well), etc. However, the Restore-List does not allow attachments, while the FR3 list, being a Yahoo list, has a pictures section. I suggest subscribing to both. Here's the page for the Restore-List links:

http://www.eskimo.com/~gburlin/restore/rest.html

I also highly recommend buying a copy of Jim Bigelow's The JOY of Uncircumcising!, which is back in print at last. It's available now in both paper and e-book versions at the NORM website, here:

http://www.norm.org/joy.html

This is the 'core tech manual' of restoration, so to speak, and an invaluable resource. The 'Men Speak' sidebars, for example, are what finally made it possible for my father to really understand why I was so upset about what was done to me.

I may have missed a category or two, but those're the essentials. It's hard to keep up with everything that's been invented over the past couple of years, just from memory. . . .

Quote:

How long did it take?
Frank is pretty much correct about the average. Some guys have had very fast success, more or less achieving their goals in about a year; others have had to take longer, more like five years. Hence the basically accurate average of three. Some men have had to extend their estimates because they find their flaccid size increasing, probably due in most cases to being so tightly cut that even when not erect, their skin was still too tight to allow the penis to extend naturally. And of course, as their flaccid size increases, they need to grow more skin to cover it. A few have even reported increases in their erect size (usually on the order of 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch or so, with a comparable thickening of girth), but this appears to be very rare and should not be anticipated. Again, it's probably due in most cases to being very tightly cut originally.

Frank may be slightly overstating the case when he calls increases of 1/2 inch to 1 inch 'typical', even just in terms of flaccid size.

But then again, he may not, too. I'm just being conservative about assertions, on scientific principle.

According to reports, some men hit 'plateaus' (as happens in other fitness programs, such as weight loss) where the rate of improvement slows dramatically. However, it appears that changing methods at such times breaks the 'plateau' state and improvement increases again. The current theory is that some people's skin expansion biology is simply more adaptive than others, and after a long enough time of undergoing a particular kind of stress, its reaction to it becomes so minimized that further applications of that stress have diminishing effects. But, it appears that switching methods can overcome this problem.

Quote:

No, it's not at all necessary. Many men have started from virtually nothing and been entirely satisfied with the results.

For example, some men report that when their external regrown skin (normal epidermis) ends up 'tucked under' the leading edge, where inner skin should be (junctional semi-mucosa, like the lips), it has taken on the characteristics of inner skin and begun to look, feel, and function like it.

Just to clarify -- epidermis is the usual dry, relatively tough external protective skin layer over most of the body; mucosa (mucosal dermis) is the moist, wet, relatively fragile internal skin lining of the mouth, throat, inner eyelid, etc. of the body. Junctional semi-mucosa is the skin at the boundaries between the inside and the outside of the body (hence 'junctional') -- which has some of the qualities of both kinds (hence 'semi-mucosal'). It also tends to be highly innervated, i.e. lots of nerve endings.

Quote:

Again, it varies. There is a lot of discussion over the relative merits of 24/7 tugging versus less but still daily, versus X amount every other day, etc., and all the permutations in between. . . .

The general consensus is as many hours a day as possible, as many days a week as possible, is preferable, but good results can still be achieved without tugging every possible minute of every possible day. The important thing is that most men see and feel positive results quite soon, since most of the already existing 'slack' in the skin is stretched out in the first three or four weeks, providing early benefits. And that the benefits continue to accrue througout the process.

There are also now many devices, several in each category above (except manual, of course).

(I eagerly anticipate the day when an issue of Consumer Reports has a cover headline that reads "Tugging At Your Pursestrings: Foreskin Restoration Devices Comprehensively Rated")

Quite a few of them were developed specifically to overcome the limitations of taping, the original primary means. The TugAhoy, for example, with a little practice can be put on and removed in seconds. Other devices in the compound extension category were developed when people became concerned about stretching shaft skin instead of foreskin and preventing 'hair creep' up the shaft, among other considerations. But so far it seems that regardless of method, as restoration is completed, the hair ends up staying where it's supposed to be.

Some men have even created arrangements that allow them to tug in their sleep (usually a weight over the side of the bed), but the general consensus is that this is really not a good idea, being too prone to accidents. We've heard from a few chastened restorers who tried it and hurt themselves. And a few others who like living dangerously anyways.

Quote:

Depends on the individual, but again as Frank says, it usually won't obstrude on its own. But even if it doesn't do so by itself, it's easy to move it back, and it almost invariably remains in place. The skin is supposed to be there, after all, and the 'tackiness' of the re-covered glans and regrown inner foreskin tends to keep it where it should be, with the assistance of whatever micromuscular bands may remain. Every once in a while, someone has and suggests the idea of somehow attaching a non-allergenic elastic of some kind to or through the tip, to mimic the original micromusculature, but there are serious technical difficulties involved that as yet make it wholly impracticable.

In most other functional aspects, though, apparently it functions quite similarly, yes.

Quote:

Often, and if it doesn't, there are methods for trying to achieve that, from simply 'training' the skin that way, to surgical touch-ups.

Also, not all intact men taper in the first place. There is a lot of variation among intact men. Not all even have complete coverage of the glans when flaccid.

Quote:

Does it feel natural?
According to the overwhelming mass of reports, I'd have to say definitely yes. Many men report a feeling of 'wholeness' that they have never before had. Some find themselves with a significantly less stressful experience of life in general, which they attribute to their glans being now protected. Men say they feel safer, more confident, less nervous, more comfortable. . .all sorts of positives.

Quote:

Over the years I have heard from only one man who was not pleased about it(and we're talking an estimate of hundreds at this point). However, judging by other things he posted, he was a. . .rather odd. . .person, in general, and I take his comments with a grain of salt. If there are any men out there who don't feel it was worth it, we've yet to hear from them in the major forums.

One thing I must add to Frank's comments is that some men report a significant improvement to orgasm as their restoration proceeds. It appears that some tragically deprived minority of men had never experienced actual male orgasm (involuntary vocalizations, whole-body sensation, etc.) until they had restored. Up until then they had only had ejaculations per se, which, while very pleasureable and satisfying, apparently just couldn't hold a candle to The Real Thing.

Speaking for myself, I haven't really gotten serious about it yet for two main reasons: 1), I get the feeling I'm not ready for the emotional consequences, and 2), well, practically speaking, I'm still just too damn fat to see what I'm doing. I've been Ed's sole caregiver for about 7 & 1/2 years now and it's had a price where taking care of myself is concerned.

Quote:

Thanks so much!
You're very welcome, and I hope to hear from your DH on the lists.

I apologize for the length of this. . .when my download switch gets turned to On, I sometimes exceed storage allotment. . . .

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again guys! That group has some great pictures. My DH was really confused with the directions given on a couple of websites, and this makes it look really easy....and all the different methods!! I'll make sure he joins. He doesn't have a whole lot of time to get online (he can't at work...government job), but I'm sure he'll spend the few minutes he gets there!

I'm excited for him, and I hope he goes through with it. After looking at my son at diaper changes and diaper free time, I know what normal is supposed to look like...and I can't wait for my hubby to gain back what he lost!

I had no idea you could even do restoration before this board....so thanks again!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Is it safe to try restoration on my boys? I somehow doubt my 9 year is will really be receptive to having his penis messed with, but ds2 is not gonna care. What would I have to do? Luckily, my doc who did them beleives in leaving "room for growth". Which means there is still foreskin there. Quite a bit actually. Ds2 looks *almost* intact and ds1 still has alot of loose skin that I can see, I dont get up close, of course. And when I pull it back on ds2 there is still sag to the skin. I am not fooling myself into thinking I am uncirc'ing them this way, but I would like to help them preserve function and sensation. I also just found out today on the boards that the times I was told to keep retracting it to keep it from adhering again was not right. I guess I should have left it to heal itself? My poor guys!!

Wanted to add that I am not sure I want to try restoration on my older son. I want to, but I am worried that he will have issues stemming from me making him do something like that, having his penis messed with all the time because it is no longer perfect.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
no... moms can't help kids can't do it- it's a grown up thing. It's a real commitment and it's very hands on. It's a thing for adults who understand what it is they are doing... not something for kids in sexually formative years. The ways that that could go wrong are too many. Maybe give him info when he is a teenager and he can decide for himself.

The best you can do is to be honest with him and tell him what you have learned when the time comes. You could give him info an support for a lawsuit when he turns 18. And you should be sure that he knows that you regret circumcisng him, and that it would break your heart to think that any of your grandchildren would be circumcised because of a mistake you made before you knew that children have a right to their whole body.

Love Sarah

·
Registered
584 Posts
8<
I also just found out today on the boards that the times I was told to keep retracting it to keep it from adhering again was not right. I guess I should have left it to heal itself?
>8

One should NEVER allow a child's intact penis to be retracted, but I think that if a child is not intact, then you are supposed to retract it to prevent adhesions.
All the children I know are intact, but I'm sure other people here can advise you about correct care for a child who is not intact.

As for restoration (veering back on topic), DP is intact, but I am still curious about the process and Ack & Frank have answered a lot of questions I would have had--fascinating posts. Are there any nutritional components---like vitamin E (oral or topical) zinc, etc. recommended? Any discussion of the new technique for growing new skin from your own transplanted skin cells?

And just an FYI, I remember a product someone linked to on the CAC board a while ago that was like a soft cloth covering to help increase sensitivity for men who were not intact. . . something like 'The Man-skin'? It might be of interest to men who are not intact and not sure about benefits of restoration or debating if they want to undertake the work involved.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa
One should NEVER allow a child's intact penis to be retracted, but I think that if a child is not intact, then you are supposed to retract it to prevent adhesions.

This gets into a real Twilight Zone and there is no absolute information, no research and no hard and fast answers. Certainly an intact child should never be retracted but the information for a circumcised child is not so certain. The only thing that is an absolute is do not allow the scar line to adhere to the glans. Preventing this may be difficult for the parent and may be very painful to the child and this may go on for quite a few months. This is a complication of the loose circumcisions that are bering done to prevent problems with tight circumcisions that are even worse and more debilitating and can painfully affect the man for a lifetime. The prudent thing to do is to coat the glans and foreskin remnant with Vaseline or other occlusive ointment at every diaper change for the first year. However, Vaseline is a petroleum product from the same source as gasoline, lacquer thinner, acetone and asphalt. It's intended purpose is for occasional use, not for continuious use for long periods of time and I doubt if it is known if there are any long term consequences from such long term use, especially on mucosal skin.

The best advise is to prevent adhesions involving the scar line and if adhesions do form between the glans and inner foreskin, just leave them alone to resolve on their own in a few years.

Quote:
As for restoration (veering back on topic), DP is intact, but I am still curious about the process and Ack & Frank have answered a lot of questions I would have had--fascinating posts. Are there any nutritional components---like vitamin E (oral or topical) zinc, etc. recommended? Any discussion of the new technique for growing new skin from your own transplanted skin cells?
Men who are restoring are pretty much on their own. The medical profession who foisted this on us has chosen to either ignore us or ridicule us. I know of no help whatsoever from the profession. We are people they would rather not admit exist because we are prima facie evidence that they have knowingly caused harm and continue to do so. I don't see that changing anytime soon and thus no help from them. Even the ones not involved in circumcision choose to ignore us. As far as I know, there is only one plastic surgeon in The US and one in Canada that even offers surgical foreskin restoration.

There are some men who have used vitamin E cream but they use it as a skin conditioner. The process actually tears the skin and then lets it fill in the tears with new skin cells. A side effect of theis is that the outer layer of skin is less elastic and will not stretch like subdermal layers. This leaves a crusty layer of dead skin cells that peels off very much like a sunburn will cause the top layer of skin to peel off. Vitamin E cream may help to make this less noticeable. The stretching process also causes irritation in the form of itching and the cream may help this also. I know of no nutritional supplements that can help with the process.

A while back, there was some information floating around from some medical professionals involved in this issue that there was a promising product or technique in development that would allow a man to grow a new foreskin complete as at birth. It had something to do with genetic engineering or something. After watching a few episodes of Star Wars, I could get my mind around the possibility but I'm sure we are looking at at least decades before anything really happens and I still can't imagine that it would restore the vascular and nerve systems that exist prior to circumcision in a manner that would restore full functionality. I read about a bacteria that was being developed about 30 years ago that would be implanted in the mouth that would end tooth decay and gum disease forever. Supposedly, this new development was "just around the corner" and would be on the market in just a few years. Obviously, it never materialized and I have heard nothing new since then. I suspect anything that would restore a fully functional foreskin would fall into the same category.

Quote:
And just an FYI, I remember a product someone linked to on the CAC board a while ago that was like a soft cloth covering to help increase sensitivity for men who were not intact. . . something like 'The Man-skin'? It might be of interest to men who are not intact and not sure about benefits of restoration or debating if they want to undertake the work involved.
You're talking about the Man Hood. It is a satin pouch that ties onto the penis that protects the glans and is intended to reduce the friction and rubbing with underwear thus increasing sensitivity. Personally, I can't imagine that it does a whole lot of good. It sounds like it would be a hassle when it comes time to urinate and it also would not provide the warm moist environment that is the natural environment of the glans and inner foreskin. The thing that it would do is reduce friction with clothing. The thing that a mother can do for her son (and men for themselves) is to dress their sons in snug fitting briefs instead of boxers to immobilize the penis and reduce the rubbing and friction that reduces sensitivity.

Frank

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Frank- have you looked at the man-hood site? I would not call it a pouch... it's a tube, more like a babysock... it's stretchy and sized- so it does not tie on... it just stays on like a sock- I believe that the end- like a nicer pair of socks- does not have a seam across the tip, but instead it wraps the end and attaches on the forward surface behind the tip- I think with velcro... so if you had to pee you just undo the velcro (rrrrip) and the glans is out. Also, I think that the garment is also a double layer so that the inside and outside layers may buffer eachother as well as the outergarments.

Also- I would not agree with what you have said about skin expansion- tearing and then filling in cells. I think that tension in certain directions causes the skin to grow new cells and the new length is added without (hopefully) ever tearing the skin. I think that the majority of restoration injuries are caused by tape or friction (from clothing with your penis under tension)... but not the actual stretching.

PS- just for folks who are curious, my husband also has started restoring, but found that it was a very emotional process- so is taking a break from it right now. One thing that he found was that when he first started restoring he saw a very fast change (skin growth) which was very rewarding and then that seemed to stall which was a bit disapointing for him. I think that restoration broke loose the circumcision scar which had been immobile on his penis shaft.... once the scar was no longer tethered in place- the skin he already had was free to shift and stretch in a new way which allows his glans to be partially covered even when not restoring. So his progress in restoring came from both skin expansion AND breaking loose the scar - probably 50/50

Love Sarah

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah
Frank- have you looked at the man-hood site? I would not call it a pouch... it's a tube, more like a babysock... it's stretchy and sized- so it does not tie on... it just stays on like a sock- I believe that the end- like a nicer pair of socks- does not have a seam across the tip, but instead it wraps the end and attaches on the forward surface behind the tip- I think with velcro... so if you had to pee you just undo the velcro (rrrrip) and the glans is out. Also, I think that the garment is also a double layer so that the inside and outside layers may buffer eachother as well as the outergarments.
I checked it out a couple of years ago. I can see how it would help but I just can't see a substantial benefit as a man would recieve from actual restoration. Maybe it would give the man some idea of what the benefit would be or allow him to retain sensitivity without giving up boxers.

Quote:
Also- I would not agree with what you have said about skin expansion- tearing and then filling in cells. I think that tension in certain directions causes the skin to grow new cells and the new length is added without (hopefully) ever tearing the skin.
What happens in the skin expansion technique is the tension pulls two adjoining cells apart and the body repairs that tear by inserting a new skin cell between them. This results in new skin being formed by repeating the tear and insert process millions of times. It is the same as when you get a cut. The body inserts new skin (scar) cells in the cut and repairs the cut. Thankfully, the underlayers of skin are quite pliable and elastic and there is no outer sign of injury or trauma but the outer skin surface doesn't have these properties to the same extent and the layers beneath moving and the tears become quite evident. I have a crusty layer of dead skin when I'm stretching that peels off exactly the same as the dead layer of skin that peels off after a sunburn. The trick is learning how much tension is too much tension. With too much tension, the microscopic tears become larger and you can actually tear the skin to the extent that there will be bleeding and open wounds that can be painful and a potential site for entry of infection. Not good! I just wish that I didn't even have a reason to know all of this and didn't have to go through all of it just to be near normal.

Frank

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah
no... moms can't help kids can't do it- it's a grown up thing. It's a real commitment and it's very hands on. It's a thing for adults who understand what it is they are doing... not something for kids in sexually formative years. The ways that that could go wrong are too many. Maybe give him info when he is a teenager and he can decide for himself.

The best you can do is to be honest with him and tell him what you have learned when the time comes. You could give him info an support for a lawsuit when he turns 18. And you should be sure that he knows that you regret circumcisng him, and that it would break your heart to think that any of your grandchildren would be circumcised because of a mistake you made before you knew that children have a right to their whole body.

Love Sarah
Thanks, I'll do that. I hope that when my children have their own kids, circumcision will be seen as a thing of the past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

Mainly manual stretching and some T-taping.

Quote:

How long did it take?
Three years now and still going. I believe it depends on your persistence and amount of skin left.

Quote:

I consider myself to have been cut fairly loose. I don't think you need a lot of remaining skin, all cut men can restore.

Quote:

I usually stretch 2-3 times a day for about 5-10 minutes each session.

Quote:

From examples I've seen, yes it does. The gliding mechanics seem to be very similar.

Quote:

I have not yet restored enough skin so I cannot tell for sure. Not all intact men have a taper to thier foreskin.

Quote:

Does it feel natural?
It certainly feels that way. The mere thought of walking around in underwear with my glans uncovered brings a cringe to my face.

Quote:

I've been extremely pleased with restoration. It really has changed my sex life. I feel sensations I never knew existed. I have better self esteem knowing I've undone something that I had no control over. Thanks goodness I discovered restoration so early in my life.

·
Registered
538 Posts
EDG, could you please go over the manual stretching techique? I think dh may be more interested in that vs taping. Also, while you're restoring, if you are still in a transitional state (the glans is beginning to get more and more sensitive but isn't quite covered with skin) how do you prevent any uncomfortable rubbing action?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarlough
EDG, could you please go over the manual stretching techique? I think dh may be more interested in that vs taping. Also, while you're restoring, if you are still in a transitional state (the glans is beginning to get more and more sensitive but isn't quite covered with skin) how do you prevent any uncomfortable rubbing action?

Thanks!
My ex. restored for a while. The glans was kept covered all the time while restoring. Of course, if you're only stretching not using any kind of device, it will take longer and not be covered.

Here's a site that might be of interest- I've never tried it myself of course....

http://www.restoreyourself.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarlough

Thanks!
Well the basic idea is to use tension under pressure so it will cause expansion.

I really dont want to go into too great of detail seeing this as a mothering site but for the most part I would pull upwards what remaining skin I had left and would pull down at the same time towards the beginning of the shaft. At night and to work/going out, I would use the tape to keep the glans covered. I've shed off all of what I beleive was keratinized skin and have returned the glans to my normal color and texture. I chose the stretching/taping method because I wasnt sure about how difficult it would be to apply some of the devices I was looking into, even though I knew it would take longer this way. I'm really happy with my results so far, everything looks quite natural. I know theres lots of literature available online. Just do a search on "foreskin restoration" and see which method you feel is best.

I think its great that some members discuss restoration with thier husband. I really do think all cut men, and partners of cut men can benefit from this...physically and emotionally.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was just reading about how this process works in excercise this morning. I go to Curves, an excercise place for women, and read that this is the whole process for stretching, it actually damages the muscle, then new cells form to repair, over and over again. So it's important to stretch when you excercise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking

What happens in the skin expansion technique is the tension pulls two adjoining cells apart and the body repairs that tear by inserting a new skin cell between them. This results in new skin being formed by repeating the tear and insert process millions of times. It is the same as when you get a cut. The body inserts new skin (scar) cells in the cut and repairs the cut. Thankfully, the underlayers of skin are quite pliable and elastic and there is no outer sign of injury or trauma but the outer skin surface doesn't have these properties to the same extent and the layers beneath moving and the tears become quite evident. I have a crusty layer of dead skin when I'm stretching that peels off exactly the same as the dead layer of skin that peels off after a sunburn. The trick is learning how much tension is too much tension. With too much tension, the microscopic tears become larger and you can actually tear the skin to the extent that there will be bleeding and open wounds that can be painful and a potential site for entry of infection. Not good! I just wish that I didn't even have a reason to know all of this and didn't have to go through all of it just to be near normal.

Frank

1 - 20 of 28 Posts