Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So until reading a thread here a few days ago, I had totally missed that a child's shoulders should not be above the shoulder slots in a 5pt forward-facing seat. My son, who just turned three, has been in a Cosco Apex. He weighs 42lbs, is ~42 inches tall, but his shoulders are a good 3 inches above the harness slots. He's still well within the weight limits of the harness, and his ears are well below the top of the seat. So, is he truly safer in belt-positioning booster mode, even at his age and weight, with the shoulder issue?
I'll be disappointed if this is the case, because I bought this seat 6-7 months ago in hopes of keeping him harnessed for a long time to come. But so it goes. I looked at carseatdata.org and can't find any available seat (yes even the Regent) that would have high enough shoulder slots.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Are you sure you have it fully adjusted?

Here is a photo of a six year old in one, does the back look like this:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...=1162225130769
or does it look like this:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...=1162225231004

If it the second then you have one more slot to go. If not then sadly it has been outgrown and you will need another seat. My DD was still under the top harness slots of the Husky (Regent) at 8 years old with growing room, so I would try him out in one before you dismiss it.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
apparently we just grow 'em huge here in IN...LOL!
I'm having the same issues with my TWO year odl right now....she is at the top slots of everything, including the Apex....but I will get a couple inches in the Regent, so that's the way we are going.....
I do second the pp, the highest slots on the apex are sort of hidden, so make SURE he's really in the top slots. If he is, and his sitting torso length is really above 20", then there are no seats out there to harness him, and BPB is the only option.

·
Registered
314 Posts
sadly the apex don't have the solts nearly high enought for most 65lbs kids to get the most of the weight limit and most out grow it by hight long before they are 65lbs. there aren't many other choices either that ho higher in harness... there is the radian by sunshine kids, the britax convertibles that are about 1.5 inches lower then readian, these all harness to 65lbs and then teh britax regent that harness to 80lbs that has the highest harness slots... but at 3 years old they really aren't ready for a seat belt booster... is it possible to measure the torso hight by sitting him on the ground then against a will and measure up to the top his sholders that would help with seat suggestions!!!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, so glad I posted - I found the fourth slots and bought us (maybe) an inch. He's slowed down on the growing, so we might get another 6-12 months out of it (I hope, I don't want him in a booster only yet).
Now I have to check whether dd has any growing room in her convertible seat.
These are the troubles of having giant children...I'll blame my 6'8" husband

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I am having the same problem with our Apex and my 46 inch 5 1/2 yr old. Just the other day I realized her shoulders were right at the top harness slot or right above them depending on how tall she sits up straight. She must have gone thru a growth spurt or something because when we bought it I know she had plenty of room to grow. Glad you found the top slots.

I'm frustrated cause we really don't have the money for a regent now and it sounds like it's not that much of a difference anyways. We need to make a trip to BRU and try out the regent.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
We just bought a Safeguard Go seat and LOVE it. This was for my 4 yo who is 41 in and 35 pounds and it goes to 52 inches or 65 pounds I believe. We also bought a Sunshine Radian for my 3 yo, but as soon as she hits 30 pounds, we will buy her a Safeguard Go and give the Radian to my son.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts