Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this as I'm just kind of looking for a semi-quick answer.

Can formula checks only be used by the person whoms name is on them?

I'm asking because I belong to a Free-Cycle board and I don't use the brand of formula the checks are to be used for so I was wondering if I can give them away to someone else. But my name is on the corner of them, does that matter?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Nope, the cashiers never even give a second look, nor do they care. I think it's a deterent from selling them. I"d just be careful who you give them to, as I wouldn't want to give out my first and last name to somebody I don't know.

·
Registered
617 Posts
: There are tons of them on eBay --- and they seem to sell for pretty close to their value?!?!?!?
When you have commited to formula, and you've decided to let your milk dry up...what can you do....I guess keep buying formula....
: Those companies get you hooked!
But, I guess the positive side is that - the breastfeeding moms selling them get a little "play" paypal money to spend while they nak
and the people buying and using the formula coupons would be buying it anyhow (but at least the formula company is "out" they money...because of converting new moms to formula, moms who have already commited to formula just use the checks to buy what they'd have to buy anyhow....
:

OK --- Have I totally over-thought this whole thing or what!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
You can sell them on ebay? Sheesh it's almost worth getting on the mailing lists for that purpose LOL.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Yeah, I got a ton after James was born, I sold every one of them...made just over $50 selling about $55-$60 worth of checks (Dang BRU, I got on EVERY formula list on earth) that $50 came in VERY handy, as we were dirt poor and were at the...."Do we buy food or insulin" quandry. Well that $50 bought DH's insulin AND some groceries until DH got his raise...YEA!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The only bad thing about giving them away is that when they are cashed, they think you have bought their formula, so they keep sending you checks, but they are for less and less amounts each time. I gave them away with #1 and kept getting them because someone used them. With #2, I stayed off the lists until afterwards. I managed to get a "breastfeeding supplementation kit" when my baby was a couple months old. I was disgusted that they would try to sabotage my nursing relationship in such a way.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The mom's buying the coupons have already commited to formula feeding (and their paying very close to the printed value) so.... by selling them you are defeating their purpose --- the formula company still has to pay out the money to the retailer and the checks are not converting breastfeeders to formula. And the breastfeeding mom gets some extra $ for her ability to nurse her baby ( and not use formula).

Just my take on it!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I used to get tons of them and sell them on ebay. I also got tons of free formula samples and sold those on ebay as well. Both things went for close to their value. Someone on here once suggested selling them and donating the money to LLL.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I throw them away. I used to leave them on top of the cans of fomula at the store. But then I thought, "If this was a coupon for cigarettes, would I do the same thing?" And no, I wouldn't. I don't want to help someone buy a product I don't support.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
i sold some on ebay too.... i somehow ended up on the lists and i dont even have kids, lol... also sold the gerber, huggies and pampers coupons i got too

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
Poor guy had his post moved to a forum he can't even access....

I pm'd the mod to let her know.
Whoa! "Poor guy" is right, that stinks! I hope they move it back to where he can read it...and PM him to let him know. He's so new, he may give up, since he can't figure out how to read his post or where it went. He may not have his User CP turned on, or anything.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Personally, I find giving away or selling those checks unethical for several reasons.

1. You are telling the formula company that their tactics work. This is especially repugnant to me if you received the checks because you said you would be breastfeeding. It has been documented that they market harder to breastfeeding women. Your information is coded into the checks. For all they know, they convinced another breastfeeding mother not to breastfeed. They think their tactics work. They market harder to breastfeeding women.

2. If you sell the checks, you are doing the exact same thing as the formula companies--marketing formula to women who might otherwise choose to breastfeed.

3. You are driving up the price of formula for women and babies who truly do need it. Do you think the formula companies are eating the costs and giving away formula out of the goodness of their hearts? Um, no. I don't think they even have hearts.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie
Personally, I find giving away or selling those checks unethical for several reasons.

1. You are telling the formula company that their tactics work. This is especially repugnant to me if you received the checks because you said you would be breastfeeding. It has been documented that they market harder to breastfeeding women. Your information is coded into the checks. For all they know, they convinced another breastfeeding mother not to breastfeed. They think their tactics work. They market harder to breastfeeding women.

2. If you sell the checks, you are doing the exact same thing as the formula companies--marketing formula to women who might otherwise choose to breastfeed.

3. You are driving up the price of formula for women and babies who truly do need it. Do you think the formula companies are eating the costs and giving away formula out of the goodness of their hearts? Um, no. I don't think they even have hearts.
The OP is a single father, so he can't breastfeed (nor can he read the replies to his post...)

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Quote:

AM I agree with everything you said but this. I do think that anyone who searches the coupons out on ebay has already made her decision not to breastfeed, though I do not understand paying for the coupon what it is worth?
: That makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Quote:

:

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
The OP is a single father, so he can't breastfeed (nor can he read the replies to his post...)
I don't see how this addresses any issues in my post. Single dads can be lactivists, too. And I'm not concerned with him; I am concerned with people buying the checks. It is a bummer he can't see the thread though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts