Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a href="http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2079864,00.html" target="_blank">http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2079864,00.html</a><br><br>
I think that Nestle is somewhat unfairly slated in the title (as is the habit in the UK)--i've always refused to boycott them because it lets their competitors slip under the radar. But, anyway, what's even more interesting is that healthcare professionals are complicit in the undermining of breastfeeding in Bangladesh. It also points up the need for effective governmental action. I've always believed that any company will do whatever it can to promote its product and that we cannot rely on them to place the public good over their own self interest. (It would be lovely if Nestle would promote breastfeeding but their own interests are exactly the opposite!) The only way we can counter ABM propaganda is to help WHO, UNICEF and national governments enforce the marketing code and educate healthcare professionals.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would say that the article is very well written,and that Nestle is only favored because they are one of the most prolific manufacturers of infant feeding supplements. The article does point out that there were advertisements from other manufacturers and that the other compnies were also guilty of violating the WHO code. This country is just as populated by medical professionals giving out false information. The only difference is that most babies who are suffering from difficulties with one brand of abm will be switched to one that is less problematic for them. I personally know of many babies who were abm fed who were sick for the first two years of their lives and the doctors never connected it to the feeding, the parents were told that the abm was not connected in any way to their ill health.<br>
I do boycott Nestle but I also check to see what other abm companies sell and I avoid buying their products also. I do not believe that any manufacturers of abm will ever relent to following the WHO code, but being as the US will not accept the code either, we need to promote breastmilk in every way possible and encourage the US medical system to recognize the fact that breastfeeding should be encouraged and promoted in this country.<br>
laura

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">I've always believed that any company will do whatever it can to promote its product and that we cannot rely on them to place the public good over their own self interest.</td>
</tr></table></div>
I completely agree, when it comes down to the bottom line, money rules. Even organizations that tout themselves as 'not for profit' can be crooked.<br><br>
I wish the US government would get on board with the WHO code, but I doubt they will. That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't keep pushing, who knows maybe someday things will change in a way we can't foresee. The build-up to that kind of change is going to take promotion of breastfeeding at every level, in every nook and cranny, so there are a lot of opportunities for lactivists to do good work even if it doesn't result in national changes in our generation.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Nestle spends 3 times as much money on advertising than any of its competitors.This is one of the reasons I boycott them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts