Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine and her dh are in the adoption process. They recently emailed a picture of a prospective baby. Anyway, I had told her that I would pump milk for her if I were still nursing. Well, I'm still nursing BUT only once a day (and not at all today) so there's not much milk there, I want to wean (dd is nearly 3 and I'm just getting to be done with it.), and I don't pump much (like 1/4 fl oz) anyway, so that's not going to happen unless we have another kid at the right time for them.

So, I'd like to get her some information on formulas. Are organic formulas worth the extra cost? I've read that adding probiotics to formula makes it easier to digest and leads to lower rates of diarrhea. Does it matter which kind you add, and how much do you use, and how many times a day do you add it? What about those green drinks like Greens First (spray dried veggie powder, tastes pretty good, high in antioxidants), would something like that be beneficial to a formula fed baby? (I'm assuming the baby will be over 4 months by the time they get her, if they get her.) What else is good for a formula fed baby?

Thanks.

P.S. My friend is on medication which is not compatible with breastfeeding, so inducing lactation is not an option.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the sticky and didn't see anything on the probiotics. However, I just noticed in lactivism that they might start adding them to formula.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hey Julie,

I think it depends on how old their baby will be when it comes home. Ours were 7 1/2 months and 8 1/2 months when we met them, so we went to Baby's Best Organic Formula for toddlers. While in the babyhouse, both our kids were given kefir, which is a liquified yogurt with extra probiotics in it. We continued giving it to our son once we returned home (the babyhouse sent a caretaker to our apartment in Kaz with 2 bottles everyday so our kids could keep getting it while we were still there, how awesome is THAT) and he has NEVER had diarrhia or been constipated in his life. Our dd was lactose intolerant, so the Kefir was actually causing more GI problems for her than it was helping, so with her we did give her probiotics with the soy formula.

Given a choice and assuming the child can handle dairy, I would choose the Kefir, which is redily available in organic brands in health food stores and even some mainstream stores.

I wish your friends well!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
We didn't add in probiotics regularly, but we did add them into the formula when our daughter was on antibiotics briefly for a bad ear infection at 13 months. She developed eczema anyway (cured for now, fortunately.)

How awsome that they gave kefir in Kaz! Our daughter got a lot of mango baby food in Guatemala, but I doubt that did much for her immune system.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VT, was the kefir flavored? I sometimes drink it, but I've only had the flavored (sugared) kind. If it wasn't sweet, they still liked it?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I didn't respond to the linked thread, so I thought I'd go ahead and share what we did with the youngest.
We did use organic formula (cow based) and I replaced one ounce of water with unflavored aloe juice (it has probiotics) in every bottle. He did well; stayed healthy. He never needed an antibiotic or an other Rx drug and was able to handle minor illnesses including chicken pox with no problems...

His sister was on good start
with no probiotics and she also did fine, but I think he had more challenges out of the gate...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts