Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my neighbor's forsythias are so beautiful. Why is mine blooming sparsly? I have mostly woody branches with some flowers. Do they needs something I'm not giving? Anyone know how I can cheer them up?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Well, I tend to be a radical gardener (and it was my profession for 7 years), so I'd say chop them to the ground after they bloom. They are very hardy and will regrow. Or you can be less radical and selectively prune out some of the old wood.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I agree with the pp. Go ahead and cut them to the ground. They'll be reinvigorated by the trim and should look much better in a year or two. The sooner after blooming that you do it, the more time it has to grow and the less scraggly it will look next year (I know from experience here as I stare out the window at a sad looking forsythia that got a late summer trim). From there just trim it up to get your desired shape (no balls or hedges though, please) and to keep branches from rooting in the ground and creating a mini-forest.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It goes crazy so we have trimmed it periodically, & pulled the new suckers out of the ground. I imagine that we didn't do it at the proper time though. Ok so when it is done blooming cut it way back. Got it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Probably it was trimmed too late in the season last year.<br><br>
Chop to the ground like everyone else has said, and it will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts