Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been a foster parent or maybe a foster child?

I am considering it and wonder if you could tell me about it. Specifically I would be thinking of respite or temporary care. I have space in my house that isn't used and I consider those kids and wonder if maybe I shouldn't open my home to them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My husband and I were foster parents for a few years, before we had our kids. Respite care is very intense. Usually the kids are pretty anxious because they don't know you, and they are scared that a change in placement is about to occur (some truth to that). When the kids are anxious, the *behaviors* tend to escalate, and typically, foster kids are on the high needs end of things anyway. So the episodes of respite you provide tend to be difficult and exhausting, but can also be quite rewarding. Typically, you are paid for providing respite care, but the experience is so challenging that the money cannot be considered the *best* reason for doing it, which may be as it should be. LMK if you have more specific questions, you can pm me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.