Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I totally "get it" that our society highly values independence. What I don't get is why people feel the best way to make a strong, confident child is from day 1 practically work to keep them physically removed from you . . . for example, placing them in a motorized swing rather than wearing them, and putting them in a separate room to sleep with an electronic monitor. I don't see the logic in that at all? If the child is left constantly craving your attention and your touch, won't they just work to find ways to get it? If they're feeling secure/satiated in those needs, won't they be more interested in reaching out to their world in general?

Or is the issue that mom/dad are valuing their own independence? It's easier to put the child in a swing rather than wear it, so they work to get the child to accept that?

Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think they think it is more "convinient" to have an independant child. Days are much easier if the babies (and for that matter older children) occupy themselves.
Holding a baby close means it is harder to get things done (even when they are carried) but sadly it also means people are missing out on their babies very very short period of really needing you.
As a society we seem scared of needy things/people, guess it reminds us of how vulnerable we really are

tara

1 - 3 of 3 Posts