Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When dh came home from work yesterday, he brought a cat he found wandering around his workplace. It's cute and friendly, but it looks like it doesn't belong to anyone. (There are a lot of farms around his work, so it could be from one of them
.)

We gave it some food, kept it in our garage last night, and now..... we don't really know what to do. I've never had a cat before so I don't know what to expect or how to take care of it (which is why I keep saying "it" since I don't know how to tell if its a boy or girl
). All of the reasons to *not* keep it are very practical. And I mean VERY practical.

We are going to be gone for Thanksgiving (leaving Thurs. morning). Dh will be out of town for work for several weeks in Dec. and Jan. so ds and I will be staying with my parents - they aren't crazy about cats. We really don't have the money to pay for a vet visit and shots, etc. And litter boxes, stink, right? Also, Ds is 2 years old and is fascinated by the cat and I don't want him to hurt it.

BUT we don't know what to do with it. It's cold here, all the shelters euthanize, and I guess our hearts are too big because it is hard to think about doing anything except keeping this cat. We don't really have the time, either, to find it a new home before we leave. If we weren't going to be gone for like 2 months straight we would keep it!

Sorry this is a little ramble-y. I guess what I'm looking for here is other options and/or what it really is like to have a cat, since I have no clue!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cats are relatively easy pets to keep and can really liven up a home. Their food isn't too smelly (well, dry food isn't), they usually keep themselves clean and litter boxes don't smell if you clean them regularly (I think every 1-2 days is usually sufficient). As far as not being able to have the cat checked out by the vet, do you know if you can find any shelters /clinics that have free or discounted shot clinics and/or exams? Since you will be out of town, do you know if someone can take the cat in until you return? They won't need to keep the cat long term and you won't have to worry about it while you are gone. And if you really feel you aren't able to keep it (which is perfectly okay!) then is there a no-kill animal shelter within a reasonable driving distance? Sometimes they charge a fee to surrender an animal but many of these shelters really do a lot for the animals and are in great need of money. Good luck with your decision!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts