Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest discovery is popped fox nuts. These are available at Indian stores as "Makhana". The best part in them is their nutrition profile (12.7% protein, 82.5% carbs, 4.8% fats)

My internet searches on it:

Quote:
Makhana or Fox nut is a sweet and sour seed, which is also known as Euryale ferox. These seeds contain starch and ten percent of protein. There is no supporting literature for its positive association with diabetes. Therapeutic effects of fox nut involve its strengthening of kidney. It also helps to relieve the dampness, associated with leucorrhoea. It also regulates hypertension or high blood pressure. It is also beneficial for individuals with impotence and arthritis. Fox nuts are effective for individuals with high risk of premature ageing. It is also known as gorgon nut, is also helpful.

Quote:
Biochemical analysis of Euryale ferox seeds revealed 61% carbohydrate, 15.6% protein, 12.1% moisture, 7.6% fibre, 1.8% ash, and 1.35% fat. The seeds were found to contain 12 amino acids, which are histidine, leucine, isoleucine, glutamic acid, lysine, tyrosine, valine, aspartic, threonine, alanine. methionine. and arginine. - Alfasane, Md. A. et al., Fruit production and biochemical aspects of seeds of Euryale ferox Salisb. under ex-situ conditions. Bangladesh J. Bot. 37(2):179-181, 2008 (December)
My experiments:

Chocolate covered makhanas

Makhana (fox nuts/Euryale ferox)- 1 cup
Baking chocolate -1oz
oil or ghee- 2 tsp

Method:

Heat oil in skillet and crisp makhana for approx 7-10 minutes on low heat . They are done once they are no more chewy and are more crispy like the real popcorns. They can burn easily (like my 2nd batch) and needs continuous stirring.

Melt chocolate and mix crisped makhanas in them. Spread them on parchment paper and leave them for about an hour. They can be seperated or broken into pieces. Stays fresh for about a week in an airtight container.

For salted ones, crisp makana in oil and add salt..yummy

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny65 View Post
http://www.indianblend.com/site/664954/product/SP-110 is what I got from google search (which means I haven't tried this source yet
). I am sure its the same product which we are talking about.
I didn't know from your first post, but by the looks of these, I've had them before. When I was in Korea, they had these mixed up like rice crispy treats with honey and what not.
Yummy!
Ooh, I gotta get some of these to have at home

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.