Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I co-sleep with my almost 4 month old baby boy. His dad works out of town 3 nights a week and then we all sleep together the other 4 nights of the week. I am a non-smoker, but dp smokes

I keep hearing all of these bad things about smokers sleeping with their babies. I know I can't get dp to quit (we've been up and down that road a few times). I don't think kicking dp out of the bed is going to work very well either. I really don't want to take baby out of the bed though. We have a bassinet next to the bed, but we honestly never use it. Should I start using this when dp is home? Ugh. I hate the thought of not sleeping with boo.
:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Sorry your struggling!

I want to support you asking DP to perhaps sleep in another bed. My DH doesn't smoke - but he couldn't sleep with DC in bed with me. He has been a couple of years in a separate bed and it has not been that big of a deal. (No really...) NOt that it wouldn't be a big deal for you - not everyone can do it, I know.

So, short of that, maybe you can at least get him to shower before bed and after smoking - and only wear smoke free clothes to bed? That may help? But honestly - I've read the info about co-sleeping and smoking and it's really not good. I think your instincts are very good.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by embalene
maybe you can at least get him to shower before bed and after smoking - and only wear smoke free clothes to bed?
These are great ideas. I'd also make sure that you always sleep in the middle so that your body separates dp and the babe.

To be honest, though, I'd probably be pretty uncomfortable about a smoker even holding my dd, let alone sleeping with her- and yet I really don't like the idea of the babe getting kicked out of bed. I wish there were some way to convince him to quit. Good luck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
..and this is what we do. DH does not sleep with us through the night, but he does come to bed when I go to work in the morning and naps with DDs I move baby DD to the Snuggle Nest Co-Sleeper when I leave (it's not her favorite but keeps her close). DH wears different clothes when smoking than when in bed. He always washes up before handling DD. (Ideally he would shower, too, but he smokes too much for that.) It drives me nuts, but this is the best we can do. I wish DH would stop smoking, but he has never been free of tobacco. His mother smoked when she was pregnant and always smoked around him. (She even smoked when bf'ing!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.