Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm "officially" diagnosed with pre-e now, and i'm totally freaking out!

the medication that i'm on (prednisone) along with my barely controlled asthma is giving me almost all the danger signs that i'm supposed to watch out for!

GAH!

you're supposed to watch out for shortness of breath, and pulmonary edema, but my lungs aren't working right, so i already have both of those!

when i cough a lot, i get a raging headache, and see flashes.

the prednisone is causing me to retain water, so i'm all puffy all the time.

i'm freaking out over every little thing which is SOOOOO out of character for me.

my body isn't working right, and i just don't trust it right now to tell me if something is wrong.

i've been trying so hard to stay positive about everything, but i swear i'm on the edge of a serious meltdown.

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hoping to make it to 37 weeks and then have a c-section. we've done everything possible to fix my lungs (i'm seeing a pulmonologist) and nothing is working. prednisone is an oral steroid... the "big guns" when it comes to asthma, but it's not helping enough.

basically even if the pre-e were to hold off (not likely since the prednisone is what's causing it) my lungs couldn't handle labor and delivery. i'm ok with that, and still hoping to make it to 37 weeks (i'm 35 now) but i'm just going nuts worrying about everything.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Oh, mama, I'm sending you positive vibes. That would make me freak out too. I hope you can find some positive thoughts to focus on. Give yourself a big hug, and hopefully you can get a big hug IRL too.
Have you tried caffeine? My brother sometimes had a hard time with prednisone, and his dr told him to drink a hot cup of coffee when his breathing started to get bad. Worked everytime. Not sure if it would be right in your sit, but thought I'd mention it.

· Registered
4,195 Posts
I'm so sorry about this. It's discouraging for sure. Can you take it easy? It's probably hard to do that and not over think things. You can vent to us any time

· Registered
2,051 Posts
That does sound very scary and stressful!!! I hope they find some relief for you soon and/or the next two weeks fly by for you!

· Premium Member
10,581 Posts
First off, I'm sorry to hear you had to go on the prednisone.
I know you tried so hard to not take it. I'm also sorry to hear that it's not doing everything it should and that you're having these terrible side-effects from it.
I have no advice but I wanted you to know that you're in my thoughts. It might sound really silly, but have you tried to meditate? There is a connection between stress and asthma, so perhaps it would ease up a bit if you could? I know my asthma attacks are less frequent and less severe if I can take the time out to meditate each day.
Okay, so I guess there was a suggestion.

Hoping you find some relief soon.

· Registered
472 Posts
Just wanted to send you lots of positive vibes. I'm sorry that this is happening to you.
We'll all do our best to help you hang in there for two more weeks, and hopefully, it'll all be over and your lovely baby will be in your arms before you know it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.