Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, we're having a new fridge delivered. Before I allow this antique to be hauled away
, I would like to find it a home.

This is a perfectly working 1940 G.E. fridge. I bought it on eBay a few years ago to be painted bright blue with a pin-up girl on the front. It was to be our shop fridge. Sadly, we moved instead and the project was never completed. We moved here eventually and the house had no fridge, so we've been using it in our kitchen. It's just too small, though.
This is the first model General Electric made after they quit making "monitor tops". The fridge needs cosmetic work (exactly like doing body work on a car, in fact a body shop could do it for you.) You can find parts for it online, www.antiqueapplicances.com is a good place to start. We replaced the seal already. The meat drawer is there, but cracked badly. The fruit drawer is missing. It could be replaced, or left out, as we use it now, it fits really big pots nicely there.

If you can absolutely promise me you'll take this fridge in a reasonable time frame, I will hold onto it instead of letting Lowe's drag it away. We can help you load it, or just maybe, haul it for you. I can't promise that last part yet, though.

It is surprisingly efficient. The compresssor kicks on a few times a day and it only needs defrosted about twice a year. As a bar/shop/den fridge, it would be great.

This fridge is sooo cool. I love it. I want it to get a good home with someone who will restore it. I would keep it, but we have no garage, no storage and don't know when that will change.

Here are photos of it and of the other fridge we restored, a 1949 G.E.:
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y94.../Refrigerator/ I think it's pretty obvious which is which.

I don't know why my text is wonky...it won't fix.

(This is cross-posted in MDC Giving, because I have so little time and really want people to see this, if possible!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts