Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest frugality obsession is the chest freezer I got.. But I just read the instruction manual that said to store things for up to 3 months only??? I thought things could be stored longer.. maybe that's just the freezer company covering themselves so they don't get sued if anything spoils? Hopefully! If I wanted to store everyhting for only 3 months I could manage with the freezer attatched to my fridge!
Also, I am stressing when wrapping things up.. I got a bunch of freezer bags but I've (so far) just used cling wrap around the meat, then tin foil around that. Seems to have less air inside that way. would the ziplocks have been better?
And lastly as I was wrapping pork chops I noticed a tiny bit of the bone poking through the wrapping. Seemed inevitable since they are so sharp so I tossed it in the freezer anyways.
So I was wondering: A) How long can I expect my different meats to last? B) Is wrapping with plasic wrap and tin foil the best way to go? and C) Do I have to dig out and rewrap the chop with the tiny bit of bone poking through?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
3 months? Ummm, well, I'll use meat that's been in there up to a year, or maybe a little longer. I put all my stuff in frezer ziplocks, and not the store brand, but Glad or Ziplock brand. The store brand bags and wrapping in cling wrap/foil seems to let it get freezer burnt quicker. I just smoosh most of the air out of the bags before zipping.

Just what I do...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've always heard that frozen meat is good for a year after freezing.

Regarding the wrapping, you're biggest concern is going to be freezer burn where the meat is exposed to air in the freezer. Freezer burn affects the taste and apperance of the meat, but it is still safe to eat (assuming of course that the rest of the meat is safe as well). We use Ziplocks for all meat in the freezer, and squeeze out any extra air like the PP does.

How long are you planning on keeping that piece of pork in the freezer? If you're going to eat it in a couple of weeks, you're probably fine. If you're going to store it longer, I'd re-wrap it to prevent freezer burn.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I think you can freeze it for longer than 3 months if you use butcher's freezer paper, then store it in an airtight ziplock with all the air removed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by teacup
I so want to DDDC you: Anal Meat Wrapper!
ladies, let's try to keep it clean here.
laughup

BTW, are you sure freezer zipslocks will keep the burn out? I just wrapped my ribs and I couldn't get all the air out because of the bones...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.