Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody started on these yet? With DS I planned to start around 36 weeks...he was born at 35 weeks 5 days, so we ended up having to go to the grocery store the day we got home from the hospital, AND I had to cook (DH has all of 3 meals he can cook, and he's learned those since DS was born). I decided that was NOT happening again. lol We got a GIANT turkey on sale after Thanksgiving (I think it was 15lbs for $10) and went ahead and cooked it. We didn't eat much of it since it was just DH and I, so most of it went to meals. I made a HUGE thing of turkey soup (which was AMAZING - DH didn't even want to let me freeze any!), and I just finished turkey pot pies. Anything we eat for dinner that I can easily double, I've been doubling, that way I'm not REALLY preparing an extra meal, kwim? So far I have:

Turkey soup
Spaghetti sauce (meat included, and I have a pack of noodles set aside in the pantry)
Turkey pot pie with homemade crust
Chicken Corden bleu
Picante Chicken burritos

I'll be adding some pizza crusts sometime this week. And I have plans for lasagna rolls, so that we can either take out a whole pan for dinner, or just one or two rolls at a time for lunches. I STILL have turkey left over, so I need to come up with some more plans for that.

(wanted to add that for those who hate to waste food, the turkey soup is a fantastic recipe. We didn't use ANY meat that we had carved - everything that went into the soup came off the bones and would've been thrown away - and we had a HUGE pot full of the meat)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been cooking form my Rachel Ray Comfort Food cookbook, because all that stuff freezes well and although the recipes SAY 4-6, they would feed a college football team, so there's enough for us to eat dinner and freeze well over half.

In lieu of a baby shower my friends had a party for me this Sat. where people brought frozen meals for the deep freezer.

If you don't have a deep freezer, my LLL gave me a good tip: Line your casserole dishes with wax paper before filling, then freeze. Then later removed the food and wrap in foil or saran wrap, and stick back into freezer sans the dish. . .this way you can stack a lot more food in a small freezer. when you are ready to cook, just plop the unwrapped frozen package of food right back into the original casserole dish and heat up! Cool idea, I thought.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great idea on the tip to line a pan with wax paper! It would just be nice not to tie up dishes, or resort to plastic.

The other thing I am loving is the ice cube trays! So far we have a few soups and some mashed potatoes frozen in the trays, then put into freezer bags. Nice because then you can heat up just what you need. Whether it is in the microwave or on the stove, it heats up quicker! Also great for saving small amounts of leftover sauces!

So far in bulk we have:

Veggie Burritos
Turkey Meatballs (from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Z...ls/Detail.aspx recipe)
Turkey Chili (This is a close recipe, but made with leftover turkey and turkey bone broth.)
Curried Squash Soup
Mashed Potatoes
Mini Meatloaf (Make your regular meatloaf in muffin tins, then they heat a lot faster!)
Pork butterfly cut for Cranberry Apple Stuffed Chops (I may try this mix ahead too, may not, we'll see!)

And smaller amounts of leftovers, like turkey cabbage rolls, Lentil Quiche, homemade applesauce, Middle Eastern Beans & Rice, Minestrone Soup, Mushroom Bisque, and I am sure some other odds and ends!

I would really like to stock up on some soaked grain breads and quick breads, but haven't pulled that off yet. I would also like to add some more (and variety) of quiche, but we keep cleaning out the freezer when I make it!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mostly subbing to this thread for ideas. We bought a deep freeze as our anniversary gift to each other this year. I had planned to fill it with postpartum meals but we ended up going in with some friends and buying half a cow, so my freezer if FULL OF BEEF! I do think Iĺl pull out a few of the roasts from the freezer and cook those up. And I can probably squeeze in a few freezer meals. My local AP group will have a food tree for me, too, so that will help.

I plan to do (probably two of each, assuming room)
-- lasagna
-- beef enchiladas
-- poppy seed chicken
-- quiche
-- pizza
-- and a couple of roasts to be used for sandwiches

·
Registered
714 Posts
Muffin tins also work really well alongside the ice cube trays for freezing individual servings - or you can freeze things directly in the bowls you're likely to use, then pop out the food and store it in a Ziplock.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a deep freezer, but I do the lining the pan with wax paper thing, too, because I don't have enough dishes to have all of them in the freezer. lol Although I forgot when I made he turkey pot pie this morning, so now I have to let this one thaw for us to eat tonight and freeze the other one tomorrow since I only have one pie pan.

·
Registered
143 Posts
WOW You guys are prepared, we were going to buy a deepfreeze last month from our landlord and they ended up having to keep it because they got half a cow. So I thought I was doing good to have bought a bunch of pot pies and other ready made frozen things. We had noodles with parmesan tonight.
:

·
Registered
484 Posts
That lentil quiche recipe looks great!
:

I was hoping to have an entire month's worth of meals - but that is not happening.
I have quite a bit though.

Turkey Soup
Lasgna
Several #s of Ground beef already sauteed with onions and spices. (can be added to a dish)
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Squash Soup
About 3 # s of Sausage diced small and sauteed with onions (can be added to my vege meals for DH)
Three huge containers of Smashed Pea Soup.
Potato Brocoli Soup
A Gallon Jug of Pasta Sauce (just cook some pasta).
Red Bean Chili

The next couple of weeks I plan to cook:

Meatballs
Black Bean and Bacon Soup
Lentil Quiche!

And I have a few freezer meals from my Blessingway:

Chili
Rotini
Chicken Pot Pie
Minestrone Soup

All in all - not too bad...but I really would be more comfortable with a month long cushion.

I also have some breakfast stuff - pancakes, muffins, and I've started to freeze Christmas cookies as we make them....

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You are all better then me. I am going to order freezer meals from a local place called Souper Suppers. They make and freeze them. I just have to pick them up! They have a special now too that with every $50 in gift Certs you buy you get a free meal. I figured for $130 I will be getting 9 meals which each feed 2-3 people though I am pretty much going to be the only one eating them (DS has food allergies and DH is a veg and these aren't). I told DH he was going to have to fend for himself, so he already knows!

·
Registered
789 Posts
My freezer meals come from the frozen foods aisle of Trader Joe's.

I am in awe & envy of you ladies who know how to cook and actually have the motivation to do it! I just recently discovered that it takes more than a few hours to thaw frozen chili in the fridge.
:

·
Registered
212 Posts
My guys won't eat "leftovers" so I tried to package as close as I could to what we actually eat at a meal.

I have, that I can remember...

3 - lasagnas - bread loaf pan sized
2 - hamburger pies (recipe used 1/2 cream mushroom & 1/2 tomato soup)
4 - quart bag split pea w/ ham soup (3+ cups)
3 - quart bag beef pot pie filling top with can biscuits and bake
4 - quart bag chicken pot pie " " " "
4 - 2+ cups cooked taco meat (for nachos, tacos, potatoes)
6 - quart bag cut green & red peppers w/onions
20 - london broils
5 - quart bag sliced chicken in marinades
5 - quart bag sliced beef in marinades
Costco bag of frozen meatballs

I've been boosting my pantry with things the guys can follow directions and cook.

whole grain Rice a Roni
black beans
green beans
mac n cheese

I need to hit up the Orowheat store for breads to freeze.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I've had some ball jars filled with soups and sauce for over a month now. My MIL HATES the fact that I have all of the jars in the freezer!!

So far I have homemade pasta sauce, white bean/kale/keilbasa soup
, and chicken soup. I'll make up a couple casseroles soon and do the freezing/wax paper trick

Other then that I think I'm good, I do live with my *darling* IL's so maybe my MIL will cook SOMETHING palatable. She's not known for her cooking to say the least.....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rachel616 View Post
My freezer meals come from the frozen foods aisle of Trader Joe's.

Yeah, a lot of mine do too. Those enchiladas are good and cheap, though, and my 3yo likes the frozen quiche!

Quote:
I just recently discovered that it takes more than a few hours to thaw frozen chili in the fridge.
:
Or you could be like me, and run water over it until it comes out of its container, and then plop the frozen block in a pot and turn it on medium.

We have:

-beef stew
-chicken noodle soup

And when I'm not horribly sick anymore, I'm planning to make a pan each of:

-black bean and sweet potato enchiladas
-beef enchiladas
-black bean chili
-baked ziti
-green chile chicken enchiladas

That may not happen, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.