Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the first shopping day of the month (hooray for reloaded food stamp cards!), and I want to get as much of our monthly food as possible today. My husband takes lunch to work with him when we have either leftovers or deli meat, and I'd like to encourage that more, because otherwise he spends $7 on lunch and we really can't afford that right now. So if I get 2-3 lbs. of deli meat, in individual 1/2-lb. packages, can I freeze the extras? Half a pound is about a week's worth, maybe a little less depending on how much my son eats (he LOVES turkey). Would it be worth it just to get lots and freeze it?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I freeze it, but it is not from the deli, it is wellshire farms. i get it through my co-op. i get a bunch once per month and freeze it. thaws just fine, tastes fine.

So it's not slimy when it defrosts or anything? I just remember the time my mom tried to freeze lettuce from her garden
it was SO GROSS, and I'm really wary of freezing anything that I haven't seen in the freezer section before, if that makes sense. Chicken parts, uncooked meat, bread products, fruits & veggies, etc. all get frozen in the store, but I've never seen deli meat there so that's why I was asking.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I freeze it, but it is not from the deli, it is wellshire farms. i get it through my co-op. i get a bunch once per month and freeze it. thaws just fine, tastes fine.
I get the wellshire nuggets too but I take them to the deli counter and get it sliced (free) then take it home and freeze it. Its way cheaper to buy the whole ham and have it sliced then it is to buy it already sliced by the deli.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennnk View Post
So it's not slimy when it defrosts or anything? I just remember the time my mom tried to freeze lettuce from her garden
it was SO GROSS, and I'm really wary of freezing anything that I haven't seen in the freezer section before, if that makes sense. Chicken parts, uncooked meat, bread products, fruits & veggies, etc. all get frozen in the store, but I've never seen deli meat there so that's why I was asking.
Nope, not slimy at all. I thaw it in the fridge. I try to get it out of the freezer the day before I want to use it.

I only have the option to buy sliced turkey by the package, not in bulk. It isn't something we eat all the time, more of a quickie meal when I'm tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.