Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas for freezing meals and not using Ziplocs or foil?

(I don't know if this is the right place to put this question...it's about meals but also natural living but also frugality cuz of the freezing ahead....)

· Registered
567 Posts
I'm not happy with this system for long term stuff, but I save my honey jars (about 16 oz) and freeze anything acidic in them. I think there is BPA in the lid, but nothing is touching the lid. There is air in the top, so stuff can't stay in their for a long time. It works pretty well for individual serving sizes of homemade soups, etc.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
Pyrex. I love it. I accumulate sets (with lids) whenever they're buy 1 get 1 free. The rectangular set is what I use to store meals in the freezer. I use most of the cylander & bowls for storing cut vegetables & leftovers in the fridge.

I use the large rectangles for meals with company, medium sized for family sized meals & small for one person. It's like having a frozen foods section in our freezer

I have an extremely small freezer & pyrex does great because it stacks so neatly.

Good luck!

· Registered
60 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carley View Post
Pyrex. I love it. I accumulate sets (with lids) whenever they're buy 1 get 1 free. The rectangular set is what I use to store meals in the freezer. I use most of the cylander & bowls for storing cut vegetables & leftovers in the fridge.

I use the large rectangles for meals with company, medium sized for family sized meals & small for one person. It's like having a frozen foods section in our freezer

I have an extremely small freezer & pyrex does great because it stacks so neatly.

Good luck!
I love Pyrex too. Who has BOGO sales on it? Definitely need to be on the look out for that!

· Registered
8,874 Posts
We use canning jars from 4oz up. They are great for freezing leftover chicken broth, tomato sauce etc, and breastmilk.
I buy bulk flour and oatmeal and store it in gallon glass jars with metal lids in the freezer. Each jar holds about 5 pounds of most foods and fills to the top, so not much air in there. When I have to freeze meat, I use wax paper or butcher paper and then wrap in brown paper.

Frigoverre makes some pretty cool glass bowls with lids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.