Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some nice basil and dill at the farmer's market - a whole bunch - and wondered how to freeze it. Do I need to dry it out first, or can I simply stick it in a bag/container by the stem and freeze it?

Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Basil can be frozen whole leaf, chopped/sliced or pureed. I pureed mine this year because it takes up much less room in the freezer. I had a gallon of leaf, pureed it was 1 cup, I froze it in an ice cube tray. You can freeze it whole leaf but keep in mind that when you defrost it it will be limp and wilted, so plan for that. It is not suitable for fresh applications once frozen.

Dill I've never successfully frozen, hopefully someone else has a recommendation. I usually dry mine instead. It's nowhere near as good as fresh, but much better than store-bought. I remove the fronds from the thick stems, lay the fronds on a paper towel in a thin layer, cover with another towel and let them air dry, turning them every few days. Drying them slowly helps keep more flavor in them (IMO).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.