Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we went out to lunch at a local cafe. I order DD a grilled cheese on wheat and it came with french fries. I asked the server if she could have fruit instead. She said "it's just a few fries. it's really more of a garnish." I told her the point is I don't want her to have fries. I don't care how many
! She then had to check with her manager to see if it was ok for DD to have fruit
....WTF? She came back and reported that DD could have "a little fruit." I was so mad I nearly walked out of the place. Why are kids menus so unhealthy? I find it disgusting!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I hear ya.
This is why I like Hobees. They always give our kids fruit while waiting for our food.
I agree, most kids menus are SO unhealthy-and they are enough food for 2 adults really at some places!
We do the best when at places like that. It is really sad..

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Most of the family restaurants we go to have really done a great job improving their kid's menus. Instead of fries you can have mashed potatoes, steamed veggies & dip, fruit, salad bar, etc.

Rarely does my son get a kids meal though. He isn't much into "kid" food, he just shares a meal with me. I usually get him a side from the kids menu though, a salad or veggies and dip.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisap
Today we went out to lunch at a local cafe. I order DD a grilled cheese on wheat and it came with french fries. I asked the server if she could have fruit instead. She said "it's just a few fries. it's really more of a garnish." I told her the point is I don't want her to have fries. I don't care how many
! She then had to check with her manager to see if it was ok for DD to have fruit
....WTF? She came back and reported that DD could have "a little fruit." I was so mad I nearly walked out of the place. Why are kids menus so unhealthy? I find it disgusting!

Oh mama! My DH would have gotten up and walked out and most probably told them quite graphically where they could have stuck the bill.
: And, I don't know that I don't agree. I have no tolerence for some stranger questioning, more confronting me regarding my choices, especially when it comes to my children! I get this alot when it comes to extended breast feeding (what could be more natural and healthy?) and babywearing. Lots of comments and remarks!

Anywho, enough of a vent. That resturant needs to get on the train, even most of the fast food resturants are changing their menus to inclue fruit side options along with offering milk and juice as drink options instead of soda.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I am so disgusted by "kid's" menus. I usually order Talia a bowl of soup, or some side dishes of veggies, or order extra food for myself and share with her. On the rare occasion I have bought her a kid's meal, she has barely touched it and wanted to eat my food anyway. So, I always make a point to order something for her that *I* would like to eat

That said, she does know the joy of junk food
I piss off my mother on a weekly basis by not letting her buy french fries in restaurants. You know, I wouldn't mind if Talia had an occasional french fry in addition to an otherwise healthful meal. But, if there are french fries anywhere on the table, no matter how much she likes the other food in front of her, all she wants are the fries. Drives me insane...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Although my son is not yet old enough to eat off the menu at restaurants, when we go out, I have started to look at the kids menus to see what they offer and I have been disgusted at what I have seen.

We are vegetarian, and even at restaurants that have loads of veggie options, the kids menu is always meat, meat, meat. Ugh!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Could the server had been not so much questioning your choice but wondering whether or not you could substitute fruit for the same price? Fresh fruit is more expensive than fries and she may have just wanted to check that it was okay to sub. Maybe she was new.
From what you wrote it doesn't sound like she did anything wrong. Unfortunately she probably doesn't get many parents asking for fruit instead of fries.

That said it does bother me that kids menus seem to be the same crap from place to place. But most restaurants don't seem to mind substituting if you ask. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LovemyBoo
Could the server had been not so much questioning your choice but wondering whether or not you could substitute fruit for the same price? Fresh fruit is more expensive than fries and she may have just wanted to check that it was okay to sub. Maybe she was new.
From what you wrote it doesn't sound like she did anything wrong. Unfortunately she probably doesn't get many parents asking for fruit instead of fries.

That said it does bother me that kids menus seem to be the same crap from place to place. But most restaurants don't seem to mind substituting if you ask. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
: I was going to bring up the same thing about the cost. I'm with y'all on the generally low quality of kids menus (and "kid food" in general). I'm always happy to see what little progress there is, though. We seldom do fast food, but Sunday we went to McD's for a snack. We gave the kids free choice of side items, and dd chose the apple, grape and walnut salad.
She then proceeded to rave about how *yummy* it was as dh and ds munched on bland fries.
She did share with her brother when the small pile of fries I'd given him from dh's box were gone. They cost 3 times as much as fries though.
: (DH, who never looks at prices before he orders, got a little sticker shock when he heard the total! :LOL He thought he was going to get away with only spending a couple bucks!)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my 2 sweeties
: I was going to bring up the same thing about the cost. I'm with y'all on the generally low quality of kids menus (and "kid food" in general). I'm always happy to see what little progress there is, though. We seldom do fast food, but Sunday we went to McD's for a snack. We gave the kids free choice of side items, and dd chose the apple, grape and walnut salad.
She then proceeded to rave about how *yummy* it was as dh and ds munched on bland fries.
She did share with her brother when the small pile of fries I'd given him from dh's box were gone. They cost 3 times as much as fries though.
: (DH, who never looks at prices before he orders, got a little sticker shock when he heard the total! :LOL He thought he was going to get away with only spending a couple bucks!)

I think she didn't want to hassle with asking if we could subsitute with friut. But the fact that she said it twice and was still reluctant to ask made me mad. I realize fruit is more expensive than french fries, but she could have simply said it would be a little more $. I would not have questioned her! I did hear another family order fruit and a salad for the kiddos and the server said "sure, no problem." I'm sure many have asked to order fruit instead we were in Berkeley!

Kids menus are gross. And I only order DD food that I would eat. She does enjoy the occassional grilled cheese.

·
Registered
179 Posts
One thing I wonder now that so many fast food restaurants are offering a fruit option...what the heck are they putting on the fruit to keep it from browning??? Those prepackaged apple slices always look perfect, and I'm guessing it's not lemon juice...

As for the french fries, they made Mercola's list of worst foods and I believe his comment was "I wouldn't feed them to a starving dog."

I think of that whenever I indulge! :LOL

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm sorry you had such an unhappy experience. It doesn't matter if the server is new or if there was a price difference, the only thing she should have said is "it will just be a minute while check on that for you".

We've had no problems with substitutions at many chain restaurants. Just this weekend dd2 wanted a salad for lunch and the store was fine with making her a kid's meal with a side salad for the "entree" instead of the usual chicken or macaroni and cheese.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alamama
One thing I wonder now that so many fast food restaurants are offering a fruit option...what the heck are they putting on the fruit to keep it from browning??? Those prepackaged apple slices always look perfect, and I'm guessing it's not lemon juice...

As for the french fries, they made Mercola's list of worst foods and I believe his comment was "I wouldn't feed them to a starving dog."

I think of that whenever I indulge! :LOL
Um, I'd take 'em if *I* were starving! :LOL OK, I'll be honest -- even if I weren't!
My philosophy is that no food is 100% off limits at *all* times. What varies for me is how often one should indulge. There are some foods I try very hard to avoid, especially for the kids (hot dogs being a big one). But if we are at a family cook out and hot dogs are being served, I'm not going to make my kids be the only ones who can't have one, kwim? I think it would only make them seem that much more attractive.

As for the fast food fruit -- I've wondered that myself! But I figure whatever it is, the dish as a whole has got to be better than fries or a burger, right? This is another case where I don't sweat it too much. At home I buy only organic apples and grapes, so I don't worry if my kids get an occasional non-organic fruit outside the house. The point is, I'm not over-loading their systems with pesticides and preservatives. They have good livers to take care of what toxins do get through.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've actually found that a lot of places are offering more sides now (besides fries) on their kids menu. You can choose from different veggies, a salad, rice, mashed potatoes, soup, fries, applesauce, or fresh fruit usually. The one thing that really bugs me though is that the applesauce at a lot of places has the corn syrup in it, I mean why not just use the plain stuff? But I admit my boys love french fries and I don't mind them having them sometimes. My oldest is a picky eater, but my younger one loves his veggies although he is still little enough where we don't order him a full meal.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by edamommy
grilled cheese. Fries. are they so different?

Um, yeah I think grilled cheese on wheat bread is very different than french fries which are most likely boiled in hydrogenated, free radical filled vegetable oil.

·
Registered
474 Posts
DD and I met my mom for lunch at a little cafe recently and I was quite impressed with their offerings! In addition to all their produce being organic, under the small kids menu was a little blurb that said something like- " Because we wish to provide even our smallest customers with the best nutrition possible all menu items are available in child sized portions" That and the fact that all kids meals are served with fruit made me so happy! I plan for that to be our new lunch spot with MiMi! I totally agree that kids meals are generally worthless nutritionally but I think some resturants are making an effort to atleast try to provide more nutritious offerings. I know the chain "Paradise Cafe" offers a similar-any menu item in child size with fruit- if only they didn't give the most delicious cookies with every meal!!! :LOL

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadzia
We are vegetarian, and even at restaurants that have loads of veggie options, the kids menu is always meat, meat, meat. Ugh!

Us too. Gross. it's all deep fried meat with a side of meat and some pureed fat enriched fortified meat glops. Even otherwise harmless items like spaghetti are meaty or on egg noodles.

We are so lucky to live in Portland though. Theres a great mostly-veggie resturant here that has kids menus that you can color with funny health-foody super hero stuff and healthy "wee" food.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you haven't seen this yet, pick up the movie "Super Size Me" and watch the DVD extras part entitled "The Smoking Fry"... OMG!!!!

You can recreate the experiment at home, too! Fun for the whole fry-lovin' family :LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts