Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our mr. coffee broke. Again. I used to want one of those senseo, individual cup things but think I need more than one or two cups at a time. I'd like to try a french press again, but I'm not sure I ever did make good coffee with it in my college days- maybe I used it wrong. My dh mentioned a percolator, but I wasn't even sure what one was til I looked it up. Does a percolator make good coffee?

So...what kind of inexpensive coffee maker should I try? I need something that isn't high-priced and fancy pants and doesn't take up tons of room (no espresso maker). I don't drink large amounts but do like my good coffee cup each morning and my iced coffee days are slipping away. Help.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I lovelovelove my percolator. I was in love with my moms and she got me one for my birthday last year.
it makes the coffee yummier than a regular drip, imo. you do get more little groundy things, but its worth it. I've never tried a french press.

·
Registered
765 Posts
We use a French Press for our coffee. Drip machines make the most awful coffee ever, IMO. I've never used a percolator, but I know lots of people who have and love them.

I think French Presses make delicious coffee if you use them correctly. First, use good quality coffee. I boil my water before I grind my coffee so that the water cools a little before I pour it in (pouring boiling water into your press will scald your coffee). Make sure your coffee is ground medium to coarse. Slowly pour very hot (but not boiling) water over the ground coffee (if you gently stir the water most floating grinds will sink). Replace the lid. Let the coffee steep for about 5 minutes. Hold the lid and with slow steady pressure depress the plunger. Let settle a few secods before pouring

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a little stove top espresso maker (whatever it's called
) which is fun, but I honestly prefer regular coffee these days.
: I'm the proud owner of a percolator. Glad to hear someone uses them. Although I think I'll try a french press too now, b/c it's small and cheap and oh I just can't resist so I can compare.

Why do snobs hate percolators?

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
a french press will make the best coffee
however.. I'm lazy and like my coffee machine to be automatic, so we use a drip machine and I find that it makes ok coffee. not great, but it'll do

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
another vote for french press!
the two most important rules: coarse grind your coffee (grind it fresh for each pot) and set a timer (always press between 4 and 5 minutes!).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Why do snobs hate percolators
Well there are several problems with the brewing method that doesn't extract all the oils from the beans. Sometimes the metal baskets get to hot and burn the beens before they are brewing, OFTEN the coffee is watered down and not strong enough. Percolators are easy to use, but not the greatest method for making coffee. Better methods are french press or stovetop espresso, though thankfully I have an automatic espresso machine as well as a manual machine AND a french press. I am a lucky lucky girl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.