Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first prenatal visit with the midwife on Monday. She said everything looked great, we heard a heartbeat, and I'm doing fine, EXCEPT, my cervix is already beginning to thin out a little. She said it should be about 5cm deep and mine was only 2-3cm. She suggested that I get a transvaginal ultrasound every three weeks to monitor my cervix. If it continues to thin out, they'll put in a cerclage for the remainder of the pregnancy. I'm very uncomfortable about getting so many ultrasounds. Originally, I was only planning on have a diagnostic u/s at 20 weeks. Now it looks as though I'll be getting many, many more. On the one hand, I don't want to subject my baby to that many ultrasounds, but on the other hand, I don't want to lose the baby due to an incompetent cervix.<br><br>
Argh!!!<br><br>
Has anyone else every dealt with this problem? Is there an alternative to the ultrasound here? Ideas?<br><br>
Kristina

·
Registered
213 Posts
i am having complications as well- i have had 6 ultrasounds and i am only in my 15th week- it looks as if i'll need many more due to placenta attachment and bleeding issue... i sympathize with you...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have a close friend who is dealing with this same issue, and the U/S drives her nuts because they tell her she is at 3.1 and if she goes below 3.0 she'll have to go on bedrest. So she is constantly on edge wondering about this millimeter or two different in her cervix. And since when was a U/S accurate to the millimeter?!? She's seeing an OB, though, so they are a little less relaxed about stuff than most midwives.<br>
Maybe after one or two more U/S it will become clear that your cervix is not thinning anymore, and you can stop with the frequent ultrasounds. Did your midwife determine this during a regular vaginal exam? Maybe you could alternate, do one U/S to get a baseline, and then have her monitor you externally unless it seems to become thinner?<br>
So many women with higher risk pregnancies have lots of scans and deliver healthy babies. I think it's a good technology when it's used for the right reasons. And with your situation, they are really looking at your cervix, not the baby, so maybe the scans will be quick and not directed right at your baby, which would minimize exposure.<br>
Take care,<br>
Steph

1 - 3 of 3 Posts