Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
this is a lebanese recipe i LOVE

it's a yogurt and cucumber "salad" (it's a thick soupy mixture though)
mash some fresh garlic and salt, add lots of yogurt and some cold water to thin it out, add chopped up cucumbers and dried crushed mint leaves and mix it up.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM it's sooooooooooo delicious and refreshing

HTH

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do an asian-style salad with sliced cuke, a bit of toasted sesame oil (as opposed to the light colored stuff that has very little scent), rice wine vinegar, maybe a bit of sweetener, like brown sugar or whatever you're into. I like an asian sweet-hot chili sauce for sweetener and for something spicy. It's thick and reddish, but clear like jam. It's probably got awful stuff in it, but it's good.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Scandinavian cucumber salad_

1 long English-style cucumber, or the equivalent amount of other seedless or low-free cucumbers (Japanese cucumbers for example)
1 small celery stalk
small bunch of parsley
Fresh dill
1 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp. salt
Slice the cucumber thin, but not paper-thin - about 2mm or so in thickness. Put n a bowl.

Chop the celery very finely. Chop the parsley and dill also. (Note: you can really add as much parsley as you want, but you want up to about 1 Tbs. of dill. You can omit the dill too.) Put in the bowl with the cucumbers.

Combine the sugar, vinegar, and salt and pour over the vegetables. Dont worry if the sugar and salt don't completely dissolve - they will eventually. Mix well with your hand, squishing the cucumber a bit to encourage the juices to come out. Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Mix again before serving.

Makes 4 side-salad servings, 2 salad-course servings, or 1 large main salad.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere
it's a yogurt and cucumber "salad" (it's a thick soupy mixture though)
mash some fresh garlic and salt, add lots of yogurt and some cold water to thin it out, add chopped up cucumbers and dried crushed mint leaves and mix it up.
I do almost exactly the same thing, but leave out the garlic and mint, and add chives, dill, and parsley. Oh, and add a bit of lemon and honey (just a little).

Sometimes if I feel like making the extra effort, I sprinkle a little salt on the sliced cucumber, and let the water drain out. Make the dressing with labne yogurt (yogurt with the water drained out, thick and creamy), so that it doesn't get soupy.

Oh, and then there are cucumber sandwiches! Salt the cucumber slices, drain, then put them on a towel to get much of the water out. Butter the bread, both sides, to keep the bread from getting soggy. Lay sliced cucumber and watercress sprigs, or whatever crispy green you have around...dill is nice, too. Trim off the crusts! Ok, you don't really have to trim off the crusts, but it's kind of nice just for fun. Cut them into triangles.

I add cukes to cold beet borscht, too. Half-sour pickles are nice. You could make a relish for grilled chicken or fish with minced cuke, purple onion, parsley, lemon juice, maybe some capers, maybe some olives...you get the idea.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
My DH likes sliced cucumbers and onions in a mayo/sugar/vinegar dressing.

I like them with chunks of tomatoes in an Italian dressing.

When I've had an abundance of them, I've diced them up small and tossed them into goulash or spaghetti.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Tzatziki Sauce

8 oz. plain yogurt
1 sm. cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. fresh mint or dill, chopped
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
Squeeze the moisture out of the cucumber in a towel, add to the rest of the ingredients, mix well and serve with hot pita bread.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermillion
Tzatziki Sauce

8 oz. plain yogurt
1 tsp. olive oil

Directions:
Squeeze the moisture out of the cucumber in a towel, add to the rest of the ingredients, mix well and serve with hot pita bread.

I love tzatziki! Especially delicious as a side dish for tandoori chicken -- though that probably sounds weird. :LOL

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Slice cucumbers and put on top of bagels with cream cheese (or tofu version thereof). Yum!

Cucumber-tomato-red onion salad, with a little Italian dressing or vinaigrette.

Cucumbers are also very tasty stuffed in a pita with hummus, tomato, sprouts, baby spinach, feta cheese, black olives, etc.

Do you eat fish? One thing I loooove to do for special occasions is smoked salmon on cucumber rounds. Slice the cukes relatively thickly (say, half-inch), then cut out the middle with a small shaped cookie cutter (you want bite-sized pieces). Spread each with a dilled cream cheese, then top with a piece of smoked salmon and a sprig of fresh dill. I made these once for a brunch I catered and they were a HUGE hit. The other way you can do it is to cut the cuke into two-inch pieces, and hollow out the middle with an apple corer for the cheese/fish stuffing.

HTH! Enjoy!
~Nick

Note to self: buy cucumbers today!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermillion
Tzatziki Sauce

8 oz. plain yogurt
1 tsp. olive oil

Directions:
I make this and its wonderful
but i just eat it like a salad, havent tried it with pita bread.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Italian - thickly sliced, peeled cukes, sliced onion (red is best), and wedges of garden fresh tomatoes. Toss in some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and raw garlic. Let it marinate for a day or so, oh so yummy especially with some homemade crusty bread to soak it up.

Cold cucumber soup is also fantastic - try www.allrecipes.com, I'm sure they have a recipe. And I adore cucumber sandwiches - peeled thinly sliced cukes on bread with cream cheese & dill.

·
Registered
970 Posts
There's a recipe in Joy of Cooking that I love that is sliced cucumbers marinated in salt, sugar, and vinegar, thendrained, cooked slightly in butter and topped with a little dill. I altered it a little by adding it to alfredo sauce to make a cucumber alfredo pasta. Um, I overdid it on the vingegar dill once, so it is affectionately referred to by DH as "pickle pasta."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts