Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some Fresh Goat Cheese from France and it is wonderful but my dh just mention it might not be good - I have avoided most raw cheeses (eat pasturized bries and such) while pg (although I usually eat them). So convince me, should I stop with the goat cheese or continue on happily!

·
Registered
204 Posts
my understanding is that all soft cheeses (except for cheese product stuff like velveeta) have the possibility of listeria. There was a good thread here about listeria, though and folks were saying that the chance of getting listeria is smaller than the chance of being struck by lightening. This made me feel better because twice I caved and ate goat cheese because I love it also.
hope that helps

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Eh, should be fine. All pregnant ladies ate raw cheese before there was pasteurised cheese. I drink raw milk whether I'm pregnant or not and I haven't had a problem. My friend drank raw cow's milk her whole pg and just had a perfectly healthy little girl last week

love and peace.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my thinking - I have never had issues with raw cheeses before - but thought I would check in to see if everyone told me this was awful! I guess I can likely find a pasturized goat cheese (because being soft is the the issue, it is being raw that is the concern) but for now, YUMMY!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Many, many cheeses that are imported are pasteurized. Just ask your cheese shop person to check for you. I steer away from eating raw milk cheeses during pregnancy, but it's mostly so I don't worry, not because I think there is a huge risk. Raw cheese must be aged for a certain number of days in lieu of being pasteurized. I've heard listeria being found in hard cheddar cheese and salad bars. Honestly, you can't avoid everything! You have to do what's best for you.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I LOVE goat cheese, so there's no way in hell anyone would be able to tell me "Don't eat that!!!!!" I'd probably just give em the finger and keep on eating it.
:

Seriously, I think you'll be fine. The risk of listeria is very minute.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Everything you'll find on the internet will say how dangerous it is...
I ate tons of raw and soft cheeses, tons of raw milk, and raw steak, raw eggs in berry smoothies and even and sushi when I was pregnant. The internet would also have you worry about getting sick while pregnant from fresh fruit and vegetables so whatever.. do what you feel is healthiest and tastes best.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I just wanted to pop in and mention that we raise dairy goats and eat/drink raw goat dairy products all the time. I did during my last pregnancy, and I am continuing this pregnancy. I am actually more leary of pastuerized dairy products, since the pastuerization damages the proteins in the dairy. Anyway, I get sick from eating cooked dairy products, so it is raw or nothing for me. You can learn more about raw dairy and the health benefits at www.westonaprice.org.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also drank raw goat's milk all through my 2nd pregnancy (had a great pregnancy and labor and healthy baby) and now that we have our own milk goats now, am consuming our own clean, fresh, raw goat's milk and goat cheese daily (and am on 3rd pregnancy). I'm also a member of westonaprice.org -- they have fabulous nutrition info!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I just wanted to add, the "official" story (at least the one I've been told) is that you shouldn't even eat pasteurized soft cheeses because the issue is not just that bacteria can be in the raw milk but that recontamination is possible and the bacteria easily live in soft cheeses.

But of course the risk is tiny. I wish instead of telling people what to eat and what not to eat, docs could give us the statistics and let us make our own decisions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts