Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need SPAMMED ladies. The details are vague but my friend took there son to the Dr for a lump on his leg and swollen gums nad found out he has leukeima I am devestated I need all the info you ladies have on alternatives for this I dont know yet what kind They are Jehova so I am not even sure what they will do and wont do but I want stuff read for them I know they will come to me<br>
thanks<br>
sadly amy

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi, Amy:<br><br>
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's child. What sort of information are you looking for? I'm assuming the child has ALL - acute lymphoblastic leukemia - as that is the most common childhood leukemia, but do you know for sure what type of leukemia it is? If it is ALL, the chance of a cure is over 80% (unless he has a specific genetic condition that results in higher mortality). That's a huge improvement over survival odds a few generations ago, although it's still a terrifying diagnosis. I'm sorry your friend is facing such a tough situation.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dont understnad how and why so many of our children are dieing from CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE is 14 he should be thinking about GIRLS for god sake not cancer and all the little ones with cancer WHY !!!!!it angers me so badly.<br>
Its unfair<br><br>
I will post more when I know more right now I am just sad and ANGERY!!!!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to the parents today and he has AML if any of you have any info that would be great!<br>
He is going through the Chemo now and is very weak. The parents did tell me its not in his Spinal fluid which is good.<br><br>
Thanks<br>
amy

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi, Amy:<br><br>
Here’s some info. I’m not sure what kind of stuff you were looking for, so I put in a bunch. Hope it helps.<br><br>
The cells of the immune and circulatory system all start from one basic type of cell, the pluripotent stem cell. Pluripotent stem cells mature into one of two types: myeloid stem cells and lymphoid stem cells. Lymphoid stem cells then go on to mature into white blood cells. Myeloid stem cells can mature into red blood cells, platelets, mast cells, eosinophils, macrophages, and polymorphonuclear leukocytes.<br><br>
In AML, there is a problem with the myeloid stem cell. This prevents it from maturing into the functional cells of the immune and circulatory system (i.e., red blood cells, platelets, and the rest). These abnormal myeloid cells accumulate in the bone marrow, organs, and blood. So there’s 2 problems: the mature cells that are need for normal immune and circulatory function aren’t being made, and the immature, abnormal cells are piling up.<br><br>
There are some kids at greater risk for developing AML. Kids with Downs, Fanconi anemia, and some uncommon genetic disorders have higher incidences of AML.<br><br>
Treatment usually involves chemotherapy (e.g., daunomycin and cytosine arabinoside). When remission is induced, most patients will need to have further treatment as the relapse rate is 90% without treatment. Bone marrow transplant is possible if the patient has an HLA-matched family member. If there isn’t a matched donor (which happens in about 75% of cases), further chemo is needed.<br><br>
It may be prudent for a boy about to be treated for AML to consider sperm banking before chemo or radiation. As kids with AML are at serious risk for infection AND have to deal with the appetite-killing effects of chemo (e.g., nausea, mucositis), high calorie supplements are often needed, and many kids will need IV total parenteral nutrition. Drugs to lessen nausea are frequently given along with chemo to try to keep the vomiting to a minimum. Kids with AML also have to be careful about physical trauma as they lack enough platelets to prevent hemorrhaging.<br><br>
Here’s some links:<br><br>
eMedicine Health: <a href="http://www.emedicinehealth.com/leukemia/article_em.htm" target="_blank">Leukemia</a><br>
Ped Onc Resource Center: <a href="http://www.acor.org/ped-onc/diseases/leuk.html" target="_blank">Leukemia</a><br>
National Cancer Institute: <a href="http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/childAML/healthprofessional" target="_blank">Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia</a><br>
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital: <a href="http://www.stjude.org/media/0,2561,453_5489_19873,00.html" target="_blank">National study improves outcome for pediatric AML</a><br><br>
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's child. My very best thoughts to him and his family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts