Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,<br><br>
We are part-time ECers... in a regular day we catch 1-2 pees and nearly all poos. DD loves the praise and is using the adult size potty until her own potty arrives in the mail. We are also waiting to receive training panties that are extra thick through the crotch.<br><br>
My question - Should we go ahead and use training panties this early while at home? Or 24/7? Or not at all? She doesn't seem to have any regularity at holding pees yet, although I observe that she is able to sometimes. Most pees in the potty are very small amounts, but sometimes we get on the potty, she visibly "tries" and there's nothing there.<br><br>
DD does not walk yet, and does not say/sign yes or no. I am just now beginning to sign toilet and use PSST for a pee sound association. Also she cannot often make her own way to the toilet, as our house is set up with 3 stairs between most of the living areas & the toilets.<br><br>
My fear is that if we put the panties on her, then she might be unable to show us the need to go and would wet/soil herself and get frustrated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's worth a try if you are prepared to clean up any misses. At that age I don't think she would necessarily be frustrated by a miss if the whole thing is new to her. My 14 mo has been ec'd from birth, and doesn't like the feeling of being wet or poopy, but that feeling is the same wether she is wearing training pants or a diaper. If she pees on the floor she usually looks down and lets us know it happened, but it's not upsetting like it might be to an older child who is more self-conscious. It does help to keep her aware of what is going on. If we've been having a lot of misses I try to have her spend more time bare-bottomed or in less absorbent trainers, not to pressure her, but just to help her make that connection with the feeling of needing to pee and then it happening.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,<br><br>
Thanks for your input! I think you are right about the self-conscious thing not being in play here...<br><br>
I guess if we put her in cloth panties and focused a bit more closely for a day or two, she'd start to get the association better. But she does seem to know where to put the pee/poo (in the potty!) and doesn't like poo in the diapers. I had thought if we make the switch and she's suddenly wet several times a day that could be frustrating, but if the association is strengthening, then that's a good thing... I guess you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, huh?!<br><br>
Also - the feeling of wet would be different between disposables & cloth training panties, no? That's what I would expect in order to help her learn. You had said your 14mo dislikes the feeling of wet in both, but maybe your DD is in cloth diapers?<br><br>
Thanks again!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've been putting my 16mo dd (EC from 4mo) in regular panties, some 2T/3T start at 20lbs and then putting a cloth swim diaper type thing over top. This way she feels the wetness of the panties on her skin, yet the cover helps to absorb most of the pee. I really like the ones from Babies R Us, Toys R Us because they are trim fitting and also have just a bit more absorbancy than the ones from Target. It's also nice that they are going out of season and I found them for $4 or less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts