Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into a car accident today! My fault! Because my dumb self let my foot slip off the brake and rear-ended a lady at a stoplight! I was going less than 5 mph, not accelerating.

I'm fine, my car's fine (the license plate got bent but that's it).

I did call my doctor, and she told me to just take it easy and go to the ER if I have ANY bleeding, cramping, or unusual discharge, which, so far, has not happened. The baby's still pretty well protected at this point, and the risk of abruption (which is the biggest risk from a sudden stop or otherwise non-injury accident) is low. (This is consistent with the paramedic's advice--they do not usually need to transport not-hugely-pregnant women involved in such low-speed crashes, though they always offer...the total impact felt like a going over a pothole or hitting a big bump. I didn't even feel the impact of my seat belt. My lunch didn't even fall off the passenger seat, though the apple rolled out of the bag.)

Baby's been pretty active all day after that, too. Maybe he's trying to tell me to BE CAREFUL, MOM. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday anyway, and if I start feeling off before then, I can either call or go to the ER.

My back's all stiff but I think that's from tension rather than impact (as I've been wound up). I've been in accidents before and that's happened each time, even though I've had no injuries.

The other car has some damage to the passenger side rear panel. The driver claimed to have been fine, but then as soon as she stopped screaming at her (husband? lawyer?) in Spanish on her cell phone, she told the cop in a feeble, cartoonish voice: "My neck. I can't move my neck!" (After telling the cop that, she decided it would be a good idea to rifle through the back seat of her car, wiggling her neck around all sorts of ways, so who knows?)

So, the fender-bender turned into a personal injury accident, even though the cop and both paramedics thought she was full of crap. (So, yay! If I get sued, I have reliable witnesses!) Insurance co. is handling it and because this is my very first fault accident in 18 years of driving (all of which have been with this insurance company), I will likely see only a token increase, if anything.

I got a ticket for following too closely (the absolute minimum the cop could have issued me for a PI accident--before the neck cries, she was fishing for an even lower thing to give me because this is a "well, things happen" accident rather than anything major). So now I get to go to court in April and see what it's like to be on the other side of the desk! (I'm a traffic prosecutor in a neighboring municipality.)

Woo bloody hoo.

So...what's going on in your Departments of Stuff You Don't Need?

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
The other car has some damage to the passenger side rear panel. The driver claimed to have been fine, but then as soon as she stopped screaming at her (husband? lawyer?) in Spanish on her cell phone, she told the cop in a feeble, cartoonish voice: "My neck. I can't move my neck!" (After telling the cop that, she decided it would be a good idea to rifle through the back seat of her car, wiggling her neck around all sorts of ways, so who knows?)

So, the fender-bender turned into a personal injury accident, even though the cop and both paramedics thought she was full of crap. (So, yay! If I get sued, I have reliable witnesses!) Insurance co. is handling it and because this is my very first fault accident in 18 years of driving (all of which have been with this insurance company), I will likely see only a token increase, if anything.
She will need corroboration from a doctor about the injury and it will be interesting to see if she gets it or not.
Time will tell.

Glad to hear you're okay physically... but yeah, I hear ya on the "I Don't Need This" factor.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yuck! That would suck. Glad you, baby, & car are doing well, but the hassle would be frustrating. After that, I don't think I have anything worth complaining about.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
She will need corroboration from a doctor about the injury and it will be interesting to see if she gets it or not.
Time will tell.

Glad to hear you're okay physically... but yeah, I hear ya on the "I Don't Need This" factor.
Yeah...I don't do personal injury at work, but one of my colleagues does and I hear her on the phone all the time with the medical experts. She probably could fish around and find a doctor who will say what she wants to hear...but, hey, I've got good insurance and that's what it's there for. They'll take care of it (including lawsuit defense if necessary--this is a case that would settle quietly rather than go to court).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.