Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a reference on a different forum...the dads one, I think...to front carriers not being ergonomically good for baby. Does anybody have any information on this? I've used my Snugli extensively with both babies, and planned to do so with baby-under-construction, as well.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There is some evidence that prolonged use of a front carrying that allows the legs to hang straight down a la Bjorn or Snuggli puts a lot of pressure on the spine and hips of the infant. That's one of the reasons some people prefer a MT or Ergo-type carrier; they are wider and so bring the baby up into a seated position, taking pressure off the hips. Whether this is definitive or not, I have no idea. I really don't know what amount of time is thought to be too long. Perhaps shorter trips in the Snuggli are fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most front carriers in department stores have been shown put stress on baby's pelvis. I personally don't own any of the newer front carriers you get from the store, so I don't know if this has been remedied. I am off to find some links.

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - that was interesting. I may look into a sling, although I'm not sure how much of that applies to my Snugli. I have the same one I got from a friend when ds was born in '93. It's not one of the modern rigid ones. Baby does have a little seat he/she sits in, but they're not propped up rigidly. The baby just kind of curls into me and snuggles up...usually with his/her legs curled up, as well.

I'll see if I can find anything else on this stuff. I also use a backpack, but I don't use it until baby can sit by her/himself, anyway.

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds more or less like mine. I think it's probably okay. I do know that ds is 12, and healthy and athletic as can be. But, I don't know if that kind of spinal problem would show up yet, or would manifest later in life?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.