Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 month old got sick and was nursing so little that my supply has dropped. I have been drinking milkmaid tead and eating oatmeal and trying to nurse him all the time. When he nurses he pulls at the breast and hits it and I know he is frustrated. I am probably going to have to supplement if this doesn't improve soon. I have one bag of frozen breastmilk that I took out to thaw. My question is ... do I need to warm it up or do I give it to him cold? I'm planning on using a dropper, I guess. I only have 4 oz. though. This really stinks.
Any advice? I am very inexperienced, this is my first bf baby. TIA

Wendy

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Warm it up. You can just put the bag in a container of warm water and let it warm up in there, squish the bag a bit to mix the milk and get it all warm.

Do you have a breastpump? Can you try pumping between feedings to increase your supply? I hope things get back to normal soon!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'd warm it a bit since he is used to body temperature milk. Don't warm it all at once, though. If he doesn't take all 4 oz, you don't want to have to throw any away. I'd warm an ounce or so, give it to him, then warm another ounce if he wants more. The part you didn't warm should be good in the fridge for 24 hours.

And get thee to a lactation consultant ASAP (if you haven't already).

Hang in there. You can overcome this!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys so much. I dug out my pump today. I just have this irrational fear that the baby will be hungry as soon as i finish pumping and my boobs will be empty. Is this something i should be worried about or am i just being weird?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Well, technically your breasts are never "empty" as they continuously make milk, but I know what you mean. My ds is not at all patient at the breast and if he isn't getting a forceful letdown, he gets mad. I pump often since I work outside the home, and I never pump when I know he is going to need to eat soon. I pump after he eats (don't get as much then), right after he goes to bed (but he is older and sleeping probably much longer than your 2 month old), or when I'm at work.

Perhaps you could pump one side so the other side will be available if he needs to eat soon. Then next time switch.

It is helpful to pump first thing in the morning when your supply is higher. You can pump one side while he nurses from the other (tricky but works with practice) or you can let him nurse as normal, then pump.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trini
Perhaps you could pump one side so the other side will be available if he needs to eat soon. Then next time switch.
That's a good idea. I'm going to try it. Thanks!

Wendy

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsparrow
When he nurses he pulls at the breast and hits it and I know he is frustrated.
My baby does this too

I'm sorry mama. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts