Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WASHINGTON -- French fries may be the bane of low-carb diets and obesity foes, but the U.S. Department of Agriculture and a federal judge in Texas have another name for the popular food: fresh vegetable.

This is not only disgusting, its comical...

I guess chocolate covered cherries count too!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lao80
In the California school district ketchup has been part of the vegetable group of school lunches for a long time!!!
T Isn't this part of Ronald Reagan's legacy? Don't we have him to thank for making ketchup a veggie?

My favorite vegetable is mayonnaise.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I guess having ketchup on your fries counts as TWO servings of veggies.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't think they should be considered a fresh veggie, but french fries aren't *that* bad. It's something easy I feed my kids with lunch sometimes. My 2 yr old has Celiac disease (can't eat gluten) and it's one of the things she loves that she can have!

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
French fried in itself arent bad.. its the frozen, processed, preserved, laden with chemicals kind that is horrible and as close to a vegetable as i am to being underweight.. :LOL

i do homemade baked french fries...

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I make my own fries by cutting potatoes into sticks and putting them in the oven. I use 1 egg white (optional for vegans) per 4 potatoes for coating. I spray the baking sheet with olive oil and bake them for 15 minutes at 400.
I season with Gunbo file and salt and pepper.

This is much better than frozen oreidas not only on the body but the wallet.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I understand the thought (umm...fries aren't as healthy as broccoli? I'm shocked!
) but think if I understand the article correctly, the USDA is classifying batter-breaded french fries as a "fresh vegetable" from the perspective of commercial sales and food handling regulations. Frozen fries have apparently been in this category for years. The media's making this into some big deal by the misleading headline. Obviously, french fries are a "vegetable" from a botanical/origin of the food since (not a fruit, meat, dairy, etc.) though I'm sure few would describe them in the same way we use vegetable to refer to a good-for-you, low-fat, high-fiber thing such as broccoli. Just a little FYI.

Btw- I think the ketchup-as-a-veggie thing is really stupid, mostly because they're saying exactly what this headline is trying to make you believe the USDA is saying about fries. That ketchup is a real "food" that can be substituted for carrots or something.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand that the media can hype things up and that its catagorized for handling and sales. BUT, people are going to misread this and think this is in fact a healthy choice and a fresh food.

Its kind of like a formula company saying its product is close to breastmilk and there are new moms who say they want the formula made from breastmilk. Scary isn't it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.