Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old daughter is in love with the movie Frozen, but she has never seen it. She sees stuff related to the movie and has read the picture book. She really wants to watch the movie, but I worry that she's too young. What are your thoughts on a 6 year old viewing this movie? What about her 2.5 year old sister?

Ironically, I feel less concern about her younger sister watching because somehow I naively assume that she'll be oblivious to the sexism. I haven't watched much but very early on a young girl was fawning over a boy (prince?) to the point that she fell in the water. I worry about my 6- year old seeing these highly gendered relations. That said, I've only watched the first 15 minutes. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
he turns out to be a jerk and is basically banished. This isn't a romance, it's about sisterly love. One of the morals is "don't trust a boy just because he is cute."

One of the other themes is taking something powerful about yourself that others see as a flaw, and using it in a positive way. Another theme is being true to yourself rather than letting others put you in a box. Yet another is self sacrifice for someone you love (My favorite line is "some people are worth melting for.")

I think it has some powerful and positive messages for girls. All of the powerful characters in the story are female.

I don't know if this movie is appropriate for your kids, mine are way older so I see things through a different lens.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You could watch the whole movie yourself and see how you feel.

However, I have to agree that Frozen is one of the more feminist available offerings for children. There is that meet klutzy moment in the beginning, and it pans out much more sensibly than that kind of thing usually does in media.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
It is much better than other Disney movies in terms of positive gender messages. I wouldn't completely sing its praises - I thought the troll song with its emphasis on "you can change him" to be misguided at best. I also felt Elsa saying "you shouldn't marry a guy you just met" while very true, just seemed like quite a self aware (meta?) statement given typical criticism of Disney. It did not feel overly genuine. This "meta" criticism would go straight over your daughter head, however.

That being said, the troll song (if the child hyper focused on it - which is doubtful) is the only thing I would feel the need to discuss with my 6.5 year old, and it would be nothing more than saying hey, you can't really change people.

I would let my 6.5 year old watch it. It is a cool movie, with great songs, art, characters and a good story

Reactions: blessedwithboys

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks for all of the great advice. I feel much better about my daughter seeing the movie, and I know that she really really wants to.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
fun article!!! My favorite quote: "I watched The Little Mermaid a few zillion times as a tween, and I never had the urge to run away with a sailor or wear a shell bra."

Haha! My 5.5yo has never seen The Little Mermaid and she has already asked me to make her a mermaid outfit with a shell bra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Haha! My 5.5yo has never seen The Little Mermaid and she has already asked me to make her a mermaid outfit with a shell bra.

I never liked little mermaid because she give up her voice for a guy. So many women do that, and I think it sends a poor message. The original story had her end up as sea foam because after giving up her voice for the guy, he didn't want her. He wanted a girl he could talk to. Only in the Disnified ending does the prince fall in love with the voiceless girl and they live happily ever after.

BUT it has great music!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I dont think you have seen the movie. It is the opposite of sexist. It is refreshing in that for the first time, a commercial cartoon centers around love other than romantic boy girl love (yawn). In fact, it mocks romantic love. It glorifies the potential strength in women. In fact, the central theme of the movie is the negative repercussions of the main character's repressed power, and how the final expression of that power restores justice and love to the family and to the kingdom. The love glorified is sisterly love.
You really couldnt get more feminist.

I saw the movie once, and was impressed. I saw it again recently and it was better the second time. Thats a mark of a good movie.

The songs in it are also well written and the voices singing them wonderful. The whole idea of
'Let It Go' is brilliant, and its a wonderful and very feminist thing that young girls are singing it. My 3yo currently enjoys singing "Do You Want to Build a Snowman", also an excellent song about sisterly love.

I relate to your post in that my 3yo also became very interested in anything Frozen without knowing a thing about it. We watched it together a year later vwith her older brothers, and she fell asleep.....ok, probably a little sophisticated for her age group.

In any case, falling in love is not in itself an unfeminist thing.
(I wanted to add, and nor is being silly about it.)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
In any case, falling in love is not in itself an unfeminist thing.
(I wanted to add, and nor is being silly about it.)
I really read that falling-into-a-boat moment as a recognition of the universal adolescent (and sometimes adult) experience of feeling awkward and being clumsy, especially in front of people you'd like to impress.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'll add that we've been able to use some great analogies for my daughter with Elsa, talking about strong feelings and passion and learning how to direct it, not bottling things inside, etc.

My daughter was 3 when this was in theaters and while much of the scary parts went over her head she was very sad about Elsa shunning her sister, and her friends were upset because they couldn't understand what happened to the little girls from the beginning of the movie. Older kids we know were disturbed by the betrayal of Anna later in the movie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts