Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any frugal recipes they could share using beans, rice or quinoa? We're gluten and casein free, and I'm needing to stretch my budget. Small amounts of meat are fine.

THanks!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
i made some delicious red beans and rice awhile ago....i used some leftover beef rib bones that i had and some beef fat (we don't eat pork, lard is what is typically used methinks) and cooked them in with the beans along with a bay leaf and salt, pepper, some cayenne. i cooked the rice seperately and mixed them together afterwards.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Here's my quinoa recipe:

1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 green onion, diced
1 to 2 tbsp butter
1/2 to 1 handful raisins
nuts (optional)
salt and either black pepper or powdered red chile pepper to taste

Saute garlic and green onions in butter until fragrant. Add quinoa and stir for a bit until coated in butter. Add broth and bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low for about 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa tender. Stir in raisins and nuts and let stand 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Split pea soup and curried lentils (daal) are my favorite bean type dishes and both can be made in crockpot. You may want to check the crockpot cooking thread. I'll post the link to the thread if I find it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just thought i would fyi with the quinoa.. i use it daily and with my 10mth old kids too.. i make it like rice, 10 min 1 1/2 water > 1 c quinoa
i make it cold with bruchetta mix (tomato, cilantro and olive oil.. )
or warm with stir-fry veggies or anything else i feel.. substitute for rice

cheers
heather

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I make a bean dip that can also be served with rice.

Here's the quick and easy way, but I often make it with equivalent fresh ingredients.

2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
One bunch of green onions, chopped
lime juice, cumin, chili powder to taste

Mix all together and serve with tortilla chips or tortillas that have been baked until crispy. You can also mix this with rice sometimes I add a little chicken, but not usually.

I also make rice with corn, onion, green pepper (I chop the onion and pepper and cook with the rice). Add the corn and enough bbq sauce to coat the rice and veggies without over powering them. You can also add a bit of chicken to this one too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.