Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has some tips on very cheap cloth diapering. I just became a SAHM officially this week to my 9 week old dd. We are going to be broke and that is why we decided to switch to cd'ing. I think prefolds and covers are the cheapest way to go but was wondering if there are some more ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I would look on ebay or the Trading Post here for lightly used covers to save some money. I really like Bummis Super Whisper Wraps because they are basic, durable, and you don't need a snappi or pins (but I still like to use them). Also, if you knit you could knit some wool soakers. You can find used prefolds, but often the shipping is really high so it is better to order from a company with low or no shipping for those. If you want a few easier dipes for the diaper bag or trips, you could invest in a few one size fitteds or pockets.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Prefolds and covers are definitely an inexpensive way to go! Another choice is flats, but I never really was good at all the folding, so I am definitely not a flat user. My favorite covers are Bummis Super Whipser wraps. There are some nylon pullup covers -- like the bummis whisper pants that are also very inexpensive.
Amy

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Save old t-shirts and use them as wipes, then just wash them with your dipes.

And you're just at the 50-post mark, so you might be able to find some bargains on the Trading Post here. Diaper Swappers and Diaper Pin also have vibrant trade forums.

And I heartily endorse PFs and covers. Do let yourself have some fun with them though - you can probably find new covers made by a WAHM in some fun prints for a couple bucks more than the Bummis. (Or an AIO with a removable soaker, aka ai2, for $5-10 more, and then you have the soaker for when you want a trimmer fit than pfs offer.)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Definitely prefolds, just make sure you get the good Chinese (or Indian, but those are a bit more expensive) ones, because the kind you will find at BRU and the like really don't work well as diapers.

For cheap and easy to get covers, I really like Bumpy and the breathable poly Nikkys. The cheapest is probably Proraps though, and I think you can get those for around $6? I haven't used them, but some people seem to like them.

WNB is right that you can probably find some nice WAHM covers for not too much more.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I do frugal diapering and they are still going strong 3.5yrs later and onto my 2nd child. I use flat cloth that I fold and they are very quick drying (no pins required as the wraps hold it all firm). For my ds I used Bummi's super whisper wraps only and with DD I needed new ones as the BSWW got pretty trashed after 18mths solid use and then nights only for another 9mths. I use Proraps for dd and I actually prefer them to BSWW as the PUL seems a bit softer and more flexible and therefore trimmer. I haven't gone down the track of getting the diaper making bug which would have blown my budget - I'm sure they would have been the cuter and easier option, but this works well for us.

I made boosters out of old towels and shaped them like an hour-glass (about 3-4 layers depending on thickness) and I made wipes from an old brushed cotton sheet - thin enough to get into creases without being bulky, yet substantial enough to not get any muck on your fingers!

So my only set up cost was in wraps (14 wraps in total for both kids to last from 0-3yrs) and 3 dozen flats.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
i think hitting ebay is a great idea! you can often find gently used prefolds and covers up for auction and save money. prefolds are not expensive new, so used ones are even less. you can give them a really good stripping when you get them, if you are uncomfortable buying dipes used

often prefold auctions will have covers included too

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Yep. Flats are the cheapest, although I'm no fan of them. I suggest definitely looking for dipes here on the TP or at DS (diaperswappers.com). I bought almost all of my dipes for ds at both places and saved myself ALOT of money and got some really good dipes. I love shopping second-hand. There's nothing like recycling, eh?
You could also use regular (baby) washcloths for wipes too.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You can get a lot of diapers as seconds for A LOT less but with nothing visibly wrong. I used prowrap covers seconds and they were CHEAP, did a great job, and I couldn't find anything wrong with them. They are only $4 or $5 each. Try calling 1-800-397-8594 to check for availability.

Diaperswappers has a Free for Shipping section and there is often some great finds on there.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
absolutely check out e-bay
don't be afraid to try wahm-made stuff
bummis super whisper wraps last for a very long time size wise
so do infant size prefolds
when people ask what you need-have them gift you with diapers
(great way to get brand name or new stuff)

·
Registered
560 Posts
My sister sarted using them at her daycare a few months back. She never paid full price for anything. At first, she used receiving blankets and gerber plastic pants. Cheap cheap cheap. Then she found 4 size small bummi wraps at Goodwill for 99 cents each. They fit the chubbiest baby until 6 months, the leanest till over a year. She also got flannel at yard sales. I made her about 6 or 7 fitted (contoured? no elastic, some had velcro) diapers from one red flannel sheet. I found out also that you can make prefolds from t-shirts, very cute, and stretchy! And just last week, we went thrift store shopping in a larger town and she got about 8 wrap style covers, 6 prefolds, and 6 or 7 pairs of training pants for about $20 total.

It can be done

Dawn

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am really enjoying reading this thread. I wanted to suggest that if you have any kind of sewing machine you could buy flannel sheets at thrift stores and that would make more wipes than you would ever need. Also I really think trying to invest in a few good covers and prefolds will make a huge difference because it can get soo discouraging if you have a hard time with leaks etc.

I ofcourse want to plug for Elimination communication when your baby gets a little older. I was home with my daughter and I figure I saved 50% of my diapers by putting her over the potty and catching pees and poops. In combination with a good cloth system you would have a lot of fun and still save a lot of laundry and money.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
If you're at all crafty and you have access to a sewing machine, you can make flats, prefolds, contours, and wipes with just cheap used tshirts for your thrift store. Add some elastic and velcro and you can make fitteds and AIOs.

Also, you can make bumsweaters reeeeeeally easily from thrift store sweaters if you want to use wool.

Here are some links: http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html
http://www.thediaperhyena.com/tips.htm
http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-index.html

And if you're not thrifty, prefolds and simple covers are great, too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all so much for all the great info. I do have a sewing machine with a teeny bit of sewing experience and my mom can sew like a champ. I'll have to get her to help me out. I def. will try the elimination communication when dd is older. I actually saw that done at my friend's house with her 11 mo. old and thought it was so awesome. I'm learning so much these days.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I haven't read all the posts yet. I just wanted to say that prefolds and covers are great and very frugal - plus they work. I use mostly prefolds and covers for my 13 month old. I sew too, but I spent way more money when I was sewing up fitted diapers. The prefolds were cheapest for me.

You said you have a 9 week old - how big is your baby? I started to use regular size chinese prefolds when my son was about 11-12 lbs. You may want to start with that size instead of the infant sized prefolds. Also, bummis and proraps covers work great. I have also heard great things about wonderwraps and thirstys covers. Wonderwraps sound nice because they are a one sized cover and would fit until 35lbs.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Oh, I just wanted to add that if you snappi the prefolds you can use a nylon pull up cover like dappi pull up pants. Then you can buy packages of 2 covers for $5 each. It doesn't get much more frugal than that.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I bought flannel or cotton recieving blankets from consignment good will stores of between 10 cents and 25 cents each I just used these like flats with pins.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just wanted to let you know... I just bought the Very Baby diaper cover pattern for $9 and made myself six covers easy as pie with one yard of PUL. Throw in 10 yards of FOE and all totaled I spent less than four dollars a cover. Even if you don't have the professional skills you can still make some functional covers. I'm sure your mom would have no problem with this pattern, it's so easy! Then once you have covers you can just buy prefolds, which are cheap and you'll have the pattern to make larger sizes when needed.

Andi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts