Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction for frugal, veggie meal planning and shopping resources? We're going to be on a strict budget in a few months. It seems that I can find veggie resources and frugal resources, but not so much on the frugal and veggie front. Also, I won't have a local HFS or co-op, because we're moving to a much smaller town. I plan on starting a small veggie patch, but I'm not sure how much that will help us out.

Anyone use the savingdinner.com veggie menu mailers? Do they save you money? Are they good?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
subbing
: I'm always looking for this sort of thing. Oh yeah I believe the saveing dinner site allows a 1 week free trial

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
My main tip is to stock up on things when they're on sale and maintain a large pantry (if your kitchen doesn't have pantry space, designate a shelving unit somewhere nearby) of ingredients you use over time. When you stock up on things that are perishable, make them into something you can freeze.

Here are some recipes for mostly vegetarian, mostly frugal meals. They have a lot of wiggle room--for example, if pita bread or tortillas are too expensive, the fillings for Red & Green Pockets or burritos can be eaten with regular whole-wheat bread on the side, in baked potatoes, or over rice.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Potatoes, Pasta, Rice and dried beans are always super cheap. I've made plenty of tasty beans & Quinoa with braggs on top for dinner. Super, super cheap and easy.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
savingdinners menu mailer is pricey as they use a lot of meat subs. i like www.vegweb.com for cheap easy recipes and piece meals together that way. vrg.org is a good starting point too and they have a few books. as for books i love how it all vegan. most of the recipes are quik easy and inexpensive.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My best frugal vegetarian tip (besides beans, of course) is seitan...it's really easy to make it yourself, and very inexpensive. A package of White Wave Seitan costs ~4.99 at Whole Foods. A bag of vital wheat gluten costs $6.99 and makes 8 to 10 times that amount of seitan!

Once you've made it, it keeps in the fridge for 6 days or the freezer for 6 months. I use a tweaked-version of the recipe in La Dolce Vegan (I will post it if you like), but there are tons of basic seitan recipes out there.

Our biggest expense is produce, really...we eat tons of fruits and vegetables, salads, smoothies, soups, stirfries, etc., and the only way I've really found to keep it down is by planning around what's on sale.

Good luck with your meal planning!

Holly

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
where are you? often times there are buying cooperatives (such as Azure Standard) that make deliveries and can really save money on bulk items (such as bulk grains, beans, salt, etc). That's the first place to start. We buy all our grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, salt, sugar, etc in bulk and then only need to "shop" for fresh produce (which we hope our garden will soon give us!).

try making your veggie burgers, etc from scratch. Scratch cooking is definitely the cheapest when done right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.