Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen threads about fruit flies before, but I did a search and didn't get anything, and looked back over a bunch of the pages of this forum and didn't find anything.

We've got 'em. How can I get rid of them?

A friend told me that a glass with a little vinegar in the bottom will attract them, and they will then drown in the vinegar. It didn't work though, they weren't interested!

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Water, Apple Cider vinigar and DISH SOAP

Not white vinigar, Apple cider vinigar

The Dish soap totally kills the water tension so the little bastids sink down in and die a horrible horrible death...

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Use a hose attachment and VACUUM them! Works like a charm

Though you may have to do it a couple of times...just make sure you get rid of the food they're eating, or they'll be back

ETA: I do have a Rainbow vacuum (with a water canister thingy), so I'm not totally sure if they'd survive a bag vacuum or not...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They still don't seem to be showing any interest! Could it be that I'm putting too much vinegar in?

Autumn, I don't have a vacuum

·
Registered
594 Posts
Try about 2c water in a bowl, 2T vinegar (white worked fine for me), 2T of sugar, and a few drops of dish soap. Mix it all well and set it out where they are congregating (plus put all your fruit & veggies in a cupboard or the fridge except for maybe one banana or something for "bait"). You need a little sugar in your mixture which might be why they aren't interested. Check the bowl after an hour or two, you should start to see some drowned in the bottom. Just leave it out till you think you've gotten them all.

·
Registered
759 Posts
We take a glass canning jar, put about an inch of ACV with a drop of dish soap, then tape a paper funnel down into the jar so they are attracted down in but can't really get back out. Then wait. We had to let it sit for a few days to get them all.

hth

·
Registered
868 Posts
Last time I had a lot of them, I took an empty wine bottle which still had a little wine on the bottom. I would leave it on the counter, and they were VERY attracted to it. A few times a day I would cover the top of the jar and shake, and they'd all drown in it. They were all gone in 2 days.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for those suggestions! I have been having a lot of trouble with them lately and tonight am trying the apple cider vinegar solution...I am hoping it works!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paxton25 View Post
Thanks for those suggestions! I have been having a lot of trouble with them lately and tonight am trying the apple cider vinegar solution...I am hoping it works!

Forget ACV, now I have a reason to drink wine!

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
ACV worked for me. No sugar. I used lemon scented dish detergent in some containers and Dial hand soap in others. It does seem to take forever when there's only a few flies left.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading all this I realized you guys were talking about the same ingredients that are in my glass cleaner/multipurpose spray, made according to the recipe in the sticky here. And I remembered that I used to kill roaches with commercial natural cleaning spray in NYC... so I tried it, and sure enough, it works! No waiting necessary!

Multipurpose indeed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.