Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About fruitarianism:
its a popular (in some circles) extension of the raw food movement, which is just that - raw food. you dont cook or heat anything. I think a lot of info can be found with a simple google search of "raw food" if that's interesting to you.
Basically, being a fruitarian, you eat ONLY fruit.
of course, most people think that means apples, oranges and bananas and not much else.

Fruit - any part of a plant that contains seeds, and can fall off the plant without doing it any harm. Leaves, stems, roots, flowers are NOT fruit.
That means as well as the regularly recognised sweet fruits, like pears and pineapples and mangoes, there's also tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, even pumpkin (if you dont mind it raw).
(FISH is not a fruit!!
)

Generally food combining is an important part - you dont mix fruits. so no fruit salad. the idea is that the body needs to produce different kinds of enzymes to digest different kinds of foods, and if you mix them all up, then the stomach cant really deal with it properly and just lets the lot of it rot and ferment by itself and then disposes of the mess
:
so for starters, dont mix fatty fruits with anything (like avocadoes and durians), then the rest are divided into sweet fruits, semi sweet, semi acidic and acidic. DONT mix sweet fruits (like banana) with acidic fruits (like pineapple). Melons fall into their own group, dont mix them with anything, as do citrus, again, dont mix. things that fall into the same group, you can put togther, tho the really strict fruities dont do it. you can eat differet kinds of apple in the same meal, and if you really want to, very similar things like apples and pears can go together. but the ideal is have a meal of one kind of fruit, wait at least till that has left the stomach (or longer if youre not hungry
) and eat the next meal.

Some fruitarians take the extreme one step further and only eat fruit that has fallen from the plant naturally - they dont eat picked fruit (of course, this requires having one's own orchard), and they dont cut with a knife, something about not breaking the food's natural meridians for optimum energy.

About protiens (the first question everyone has)
here's a fun fact for you:
Humans do NOT need protein
[I'll pause a moment for the shock to wear off]
Humans need AMINO ACIDS. Proteins are long chains made up of amino acids. when protiens are eaten, the body digests and breaks down into the chains into the individual amino acids and stores them for later use. when needed the body takes the individual amino acids and builds them into chains of proteins that it can use.
If you eat plain amino acids (like that found in fruits) then you cut out this energy-consuming part of the process
cutting out the need for protein.

If you eat a large range of fruits, you get everything you need.
Admittedly was fruitarian for only 1 1/2 years, but during that time I was so fit and healthy and full of energy. I lost very little weight (none that I couldnt stand to lose
) and built a lot of muscle mass.
In the end I stopped mostly because of geographical and social reasons. I was backpacking around asia and africa at the time, and occasionally I would find it hard to get a good supply of fruits - I would sometimes go a few days with nothing but bananas or less, and I became very sensitive to non-organic stuff, which meant that I often had nothing to eat
:
Also, it was tough socially, for obvious reasons.

I realised that my only option was to either stay travelling and give up on being a strict fruitarian or to go and live back home in an organic orchard with like-minded people. I chose the former, but I always think about going back to it.

My best friend, who started at around the same time as me, is still doing it after 6 years, and this guy is amazing. he is also still travelling, and carrys around a backpack weighing 40-50kg (like 100lbs) with no problems. he is fit and strong. when he finds himself in cold climates he adds nuts to his diet (not peanuts, they're a legume) and sometimes supplements with seaweed or mushrooms if he feels he needs it.

I know some children who were born in raw/ fruit families and these kids are AMAZING.

I guess thats about it, sorry its such a long description

·
Banned
2,565 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I respect the philosophy behind it, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the nutritional value of eating only fruit.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That is amazing! Thanks for the explanation! I am surprised that I never heard of this way of eating before.

Also thanks for the "food for thought"
regarding protein and amino acids.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
thanks so much for that, i have always wondered what Fruitiarians actually eat and why

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course, this doesn't mean you can just give up on getting a good, balanced diet without worrying about protien if you're vegan or veggie - if you're eating a bunch of stuff and mixing, then your body isnt able to synthesise well enough the things it needs, and then you need to make sure you get enough amino acids, which usually means eating proteins for most people, at least a bit - often WAY less than "nutritionists" say you need

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Is there some accepted level of amino acids you are supposed to eat if you are a fruitarian combining/separating foods in the proper way?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
obsessive.......?
??

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I was thinking about the possible systemic yeast issues it would cause as well. I know when I'm battling yeast systemically, I can't have ANY sugar, not even fruit, if I want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
the idea of fruitarianism has always appealed to me, but the discipline required might kill me. it's not a diet that you can 'cheat' on, and i love cheating.
: good for anyone who can do it!

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
generally fruitarians eat the vast majority of their nutrients from fruit (sweet and non-sweet) but they still do eat leafy greens and some seeds and things. I believe (and it will vary obviously) that most fruitarians eat somewhere around 80% fruits and the remaining 20% or so is greens (does that answer your question, Gale Force?) At least that's what they tell me! I only know two IRL but I have read a couple of books on it. Primal Mothering is a great one. Halfmoon asserts that kids were meant to be fruitarians.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I admit I had no idea that there are really fruitarians. We love fruit in this household (at least the children and I do) so we could probably do that diet with no problem. Can I still make my cucumber salad on a fruitarian diet? (with salt, sugar, white vinegar, onions, water)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts