Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here adopted while on antidepressants? What country/agency did you use?
We are getting increasingly frustrated b/c when a program looks really good to us, it seems when we dig a little deeper, they reject PAPs who are on meds for mental health. I take the lowest possible dose of zoloft, and am extremely stable, but it seems that's not good enough.
Just really bummed right now and looking for a little hope.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
that is a bummer- i am not totally sure, BUT afican countries are usually the most easy going. very few requirements.
HTH

· Registered
6,792 Posts

No family is picture-perfect. You're not the only ones to get turned down for something that seems small.

Have you been upfront with agencies about your dosage and your use of Zoloft? That might be one way to sift through the agencies a little faster...tell them you're taking a low dose of Zoloft, that your doctor/phsychologist can write letters attesting to your stability and health, and see what they say. And remember, even though one agency says you can't adopt from a country because of the Zoloft, that doesn't mean all agencies will say that. China is an exception, because of their centralized process, but with countries like Korea/India/etc., each orphanage or province can have slightly different regulations.

For instance, most agencies will tell you Korea has a health/weight requirement for adoptive parents. They treat it like it's a country rule. It's not...it's an agency rule that MOST agencies have. Be very careful to sift out what the agencie/orphanage rules are, and what the more universal/country rules are.

Also, acceptance of certain family/health issues seem to intensify at times. With the Korea program, many families with small health issues were being accepted. Then, after the murder/suicide in Iowa, they (some of the Korean orphanages/agencies) seemed to get VERY picky about small issues of stress or mental health...turning down families that the agencies thought would be okay. We've been told that this tightening of acceptance levels is probably just temporary, and will ease over time.

Best of luck to you.

· Registered
177 Posts
I'm taking Zoloft for PPD and this hasn't cause a single snag. We are adopting from Ethiopia through AAI. We sent in a letter from my doctor and a therapist stating that they recommended me as an adoptive parent. I sent these letters to both my homestudy agency and the international agency when we sent in our applications.

For the homestudy that was included as part of the dossier, the medication issue was left out of it at AAI's request and my home study agency had no problem complying. I was told that if a doctor recommended us for adoption then there was no reason for it to be part of the dossier homestudy. The medication was included on our homestudy that was sent to USCIS. There are certain guidelines per the Hague Convention but this doesn't violate as long as you are recommended to adopt by your physician.

· Registered
3,744 Posts
When we were looking at international adoption, we had to focus on Africa, which was fine because that was where my heart was anyway. I have bipolar disorder and was excluded from almost all Asian countries and much of central/South America.

· Registered
900 Posts
I don't know if this will be relevant to you or not, but China doesn't completely exclude PAPs who've taken meds for mental health issues. My dh was on Lexapro for a short time but he's now been off it for almost 3 years. China just requires that PAPs be off meds for a minimum of 2 years before adopting. I wonder if other countries might have similar rules so if you ever go off Zoloft those countries might be an option then.

Have you contacted a large agency that deals with many different countries? They might be able to point you toward a country that could be a good fit for you. Children's Home Society in MN is a large agency with many international programs and they were really helpful when we were in the research stage.

· Registered
2,132 Posts
RedOakMama beat me to the specifics and examples about Korea
As she said, I would encourage you to verify with multiple agencies if they say something is a "country" requirement, as it is often not. If you are looking at Korea, PM me for specific agency info. I believe that the Korean partner agency we worked with does not make anti-depressants an automatic disqualifier, with supporting documentation from your dr, etc.

Quote:
For the homestudy that was included as part of the dossier, the medication issue was left out of it at AAI's request and my home study agency had no problem complying. I was told that if a doctor recommended us for adoption then there was no reason for it to be part of the dossier homestudy. The medication was included on our homestudy that was sent to USCIS. There are certain guidelines per the Hague Convention but this doesn't violate as long as you are recommended to adopt by your physician.
Yes! The paperwork process is a little different for Korea, but our agencies prepare both a long and summary HS. The long one is required by USCIS, but the foreign agency only wants the summary one, with the local agency's stamp of approval. Sometimes additional info or medical tests are requested, depending on the situation, but the local agencies know which conditions are an absolute no-go and which can be ok.

I would call some of the larger agencies, and tell them you are taking X medication and your dr is willing to write a letter saying your condition is stable, etc, and see what you can find out. If you are having trouble finding a country, do as a PP suggested, and not even specify which countries you are interested in, and ask for their guidance.

Gotta go--crying baby

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.