Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having trouble getting my son teeth brush he doesn't allow me in there.

Some ppl suggested electric toothbrush I got him one he just plays with it sometimes puts it in his mouth & just sucks on it. He may move it back for 5 seconds then that's it.

I am not strong to get him a way to get his mouth and him still for me to get in there it's a big struggle because he puts up a big fight that I give up because his teeth are not going to be brushed no matter how i try.

I don't know how to get him to get his teeth brushed.

I even tried keeping my dentures in brushing my teeth with them in. I'm 29 yrs old and I have had a 'full bottom & full top denture set in my teeth.

Wihat to do when I say I am 'trying' to brush his teeth and I get lectured by dentist when he sees cavities again he already had 2 of them.

When will my son learn it will be easier to just let Me brush his teeth it will be done quicker .

I get the I should avoid these certain things but I am like no matter what "food' I avoid for him he will still get dirty teeth because there is still food in there no matter what kind it is especially if he won't let me help get his teeth brushed

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Toothbrushing is non-negotiable around here and has been since the first teeth came in. There have been times that it takes both dh and I to do it- he holds, I brush, but most times now she likes to stand on her stool and help. If I have to do it alone and she's not keen on the idea, I hold her from behind. I sit crosslegged and if need be hold her arms with my left arm and brush with the right.

Ideas to try- bribes- stickers what have you, electric brushes, other fun brushes (we have some that light up), fun toothpaste, brushing mama's teeth....

Just do it.

-Angela

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
yeah, ds is in his independant stage right now and is just starting the toothbrushing fight, its non negotiable for us, especially after hes eaten something. Sometimes dh has to hold him while i brush.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a single mom and with low muscle tone that my son strength is more 'stronger' than my strength. I have no guy here no husband to help out with this.

Stickers he don't care about doesn't sway him one single bit, fun brushes have tried before pooh tigger brushes with the pooh & tigger toothpaste, a electric tigger toothbrush I tried- not getting any better, brush his mom teeth doesn't sway him either he hands me the toothbrush and says me down.

Light up toothbrushes end up being a game of on/off instead of in the mouth.

I just don't know what to do or how to get him to get his teeth brush and i don't know. All I know is that I am not that 'strong' it always ends up in toothbrush floor wrestling match.

I do try to hold him like with his hands/arms but then his head is going into different dirrections with clenched teeth too so I just don't know I tried that 'behind, front, sitting down, him laying down, standing up , sitting on the counter.

The only way he's ever get his teeth brushed is when someone else does it for him he is so well behaved for them he won't even put up a fight.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My ds doesn't like to brush his teeth either. Bribes are not an option for him. I know it's important, but really don't want to make it a fight or power struggle....sooo.... it is somewhat negotiable for us.

What does work most often for us is if I let him take the lead (at which point he kind of sucks on the brush, etc.), then let him know I'm just going to *get a few spots that were missed* and quickly try to clean what I can. Telling him that we have to get the sugar bits out before they cause trouble will sometimes appeal to his sensible side and he won't fuss. If he is really resistant to brushing one night, then I don't forcefully make him do it, because I think that could set up a dynamic we don't want.

It has gotten easier as he's gotten older though.

GL

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Try letting there be a couple times a day where toothbrushing is completely his call. Ds's teeth get "brushed" 3-4 times a day. The first and last time, I do it. The middle time(s) its totally up to him. Sometimes he just sucks off the toothpaste, sometimes he brushes, sometimes he lets me brush some. But its his choice.

I have held him down to brush. It helped in the sense that it had been a power struggle. It would be an hour of us trying to convince ds to let us brush his teeth. I started just holding him down for half a minute- just long enough to get each tooth. The whole thing- from start to finish (from getting the toothbrush until he was up)- was less than 3 minute. It was actually way less upsetting for both of us than the other way.
I sat on the floor, and laid him down between my legs, (you might be able to do this) with his arms under my knees, and his feet down by my feet.

He's begun letting us brush his teeth really well, really easily. So that's Good!

·
Registered
136 Posts
My ds also hates it when I brush his teeth. Since I have a mouth full of fillings due to poor dental care as a child, I don't give in on this one.
Wrapping him in a towel as a pp suggested works really well. Other times I have to restrain him myself. I get his toothbrush ready and sit him up on the sink. With one hand I hold his hands/wrists together and with that same arm I get him in a sort of headlock so he can't squirm away. The top of his head is wedged under my arm.
Then I just brush as fast as I can. Sometimes I can get him to open his mouth voluntarily by asking him roar like a dinosaur. Afterwards I give him the brush and rinse cup and let him "brush" his own teeth for as long as he likes.
I do feel guilty for being so forceful, but the health of his teeth is worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
My sons are 5 and 2.5--the older boy HATED when I brushed his teeth! Taking him to the dentist and having the dentist tell him that mama to brush his teeth actually helped. Maybe you can mention this to his ped. uor dentist and have them talk with him?

Also, our dentist suggested products with a naturally occurring sugar called Xiolitol (sp?)--which is used in a lot of products in Europe and some here (Tom's makes a tooth paste with it and no flouride which kids shouldn't have until they can spit out all the paste otherwise it can discolor their adult teeth). It seems to have helped a lot--there is a gel you can get with it at most health food stores and after they eat or drink (for babies) you can just rub the gel on their teeth.
The sugar protects their teeth because the 'sugar bugs' eat it and don't give off the acidic stuff that is harmful to teeth or something like that. It has helped us! Trident makes a gum with it that I'll give to my older boy after he eats sometimes (and we can't brush).

Also, having the kids drink milk with their food (cow milk, if you do that) helps a lot too...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
how the heck do you force a kid to open their mouth?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Lots of good ideas here (and I'm always looking for ideas since dd HATES toothbrushing)...

Right now we're waiting for a video that shows lots of little kids brushing their teeth, sort of a peer pressure idea since dd loves copying the kids in the Signing Times videos. If you know some other mamas with kids, or use a daycare service, you might be able to make a "home made" version of this sort of video to play for your little one.

Also, it's not as good as brushing, but some foods help cleanse the teeth. I know strawberries can be used to clean your teeth when you don't have access to brushing (we haven't tried this with dd since we have a family allergy to strawberries). I looked it up and found this: http://www.youngagainforever.com/tooth-soap.htm

Not a solution to brushing, but maybe some ideas for ways to tweak your little one's diet?

Quote:
how the heck do you force a kid to open their mouth
It sounds horrible, but I lay dd on our bed, hold her arms against her body, and pull down on her chin. She tries to keep her mouth closed, but she also wants to yell in protest, and when she yells I can get the toothbrush (or finger with towel) into her mouth. I feel rotten, but she's got almost all her teeth now and I want her to beat our family history of rotten teeth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know if this will help you much since you're on your own, but Ds1 was very resistant to having his teeth brushed for the longest time (well, it seemed like it was a long time...). And I didn't really start until he was 10 or 11 months or so, when he had several teeth already

But other than having toothpaste which he really likes to mostly suck off the brush, the thing that has worked for us is this: After we are done with the bath at night and the pj dressing etc is over, the last thing we (Ha, I!) do is brush his teeth. Then we go to see dh for the book reading before heading off to bed. Dh always asks ds1 if he brushed his teeth and compliments him on how nice his teeth look. Ds1 got to the point of being very excited about this and is always showing off his "pretty teeth" to dad. I also always compliment him on his pretty teeth when I brush them, and he's gotten quite cooperative, he even let's me floss them when I deem that necessary.

So, if you can get someone else to help with some what I might call "vanity" reinforcement, it might be worth a try. I guess I should really call it positive reinforcement,

Ds, like a pp also stated, also gets to brush his teeth on his own, in the bathtub while still taking his bath. He mostly sucks the toothpaste off and chews on the brush, but I don't really hassle him about it and he likes getting to do it himself at least once a day.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Teeth brushing is also not negotiable here, dd used to fight it, but now is usually pretty good about it. My only compromise was that right now she gets to brush her own teeth in the morning and I brush her teeth (very good) at night. She usually does a little brushing, but mostly chewing. I would do whatever it took to get her teeth clean. You said he is good about letting someone else do it, is there a friend or someone who could help you out until he got used to it?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
More ideas:

I sit behind her while she is watching a dvd and hold her forehead and insist on brushing her teeth. Sometimes she really puts up a fight (less so lately) and when she does I just hold on tight and take advantage of the crying mouth. I attempt to be REALLY gentle so that it's not about how hard I'm doing it or hurting her.

for me while she is watching the dvd is pretty much essential.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homemademomma
:
My dd clamps her mouth shut and won't open it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
For a period of time we thought my son had 8 cavities by 18 months and so I had to take the tough road and force him to brush his teeth by lying him on his back, putting his head in my lap and putting my legs on top of his arms. You could unclmap his mouth by stick the toothbrush in the corner of his mouth and wedging it open. It was so sad, but I could not let his teeth rot out of his head. He eventually became willing to let us brush his teeth standing up (and it turns out he had stains, not cavities, thank goodness).

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homemademomma
Another PP on another thread said she had luck getting her DC to open their mouth by playfully holding them upside down. I tried that with our DD and it works. She may learn to hold her mouth closed while upside down as she realizes its just a nasty toothbrush trick, but for now, its working.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yeah, teeth brushing is an issue here too. Some suggestions:

~ You can try Swiffies mouth wipes. They're a cloth wipe treated with Xylitol that you wrap around your finger & basically swab around their mouths. I havn't tried them yet myself, but have read other threads & some mamas say they help. At least you can do *something* and some kids tolerate them better than actual brushing.

~ If DD gets really bad I will take a damp washcloth, wrap it around my finger and get as much of her teeth as I can that way. You can always get the fronts like this (just slide your finger in between their lips). It can be harder to get the actual tops & backs though since they have to be willing to open and keep open without biting you.

~ Sometimes it really helps if we bring in a dolly & "brush" the dolls teeth as well. Sometimes DD brushes the dolls teeth, sometimes I'm the one who does it. Sometimes we'll "brush" my teeth too while we're at it. It seems like taking turns & not being the only one having to brush helps DD deal with it better.

~ Try a counting/racing game. We give an incentive at the end -- like you have to keep your mouth open (usually making a funny sound) until Mommy counts to 10, then you can have the toothbrush or whatever to play with. This usually goes something like, "1.....2....No you have to keep your mouth open or it doesn't count....good job....3....4....5....remember keep your mouth open and say AHHHHHH.....6.....7......open your mouth again please we're almost done!.......8......don't you want to play with the toothbrush? Then open up so we can finish!.....9......10!"

~ Sometimes distracting her with TV will work, but it has to be something she's REALLY into.

If all else fails I will attempt all of the above, like counting to 10 while I brush the doll's teeth, and then doing her's, maybe while having a show on to distract her a bit too, and if all else fails using the washcloth as a last resort.
:

Good luck! It's amazing how frustrating something as seemingly simple as brushing a toddler's teeth can be.

Holly

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
We've come up with endless games and charades to entice our twins to participate.

They brush first, then mom and/or dad take a turn. Sometimes we use a flashlight (like a "dentist"), sometimes we scream in mock horror at all of the sugar bugs running around in their mouths, etc. We come up with stories about what the sugar bugs are doing in their mouths (they open their mouth, then I give them the play by play on the sugar bugs' activities as I'm brushing.)

It's not always happiness and roses, but I won't hold them down b/c I reserve that for medicine only (as a last resort). They're 2.5 now and I'll just sit and wait them out till their relent and let me do it. (They know I won't get into bed with them till it's done.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts