Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've caught about 50% of her pees since I started EC a few days ago, but I have yet to catch a poop. The last poop she did, I had just missed a pee and changed her diaper (we're doing fitteds w/o covers right now, but do nekky bum sometimes too). She gets fussy before she pees, before/when she poops, when she has a burp, and when she is hungry. Since she had just peed and hadn't eaten in a while (therefore probably didn't have to poop) I assumed she was fussing because she wanted to nurse. I started nursing her, and almost immediately after she started nursing, she pooped. So I changed her diaper again, nursed her, and she was asleep in about 2 minutes. I actually kept her naked and put her on the bowl in case she had to poop some more, but she just crashed so I put her in bed.

I guess I'm frustrated because I can't distinguish one fuss from another. Almost every time she fusses, I offer potty first, then if she doesn't go I offer her the breast. I can distinguish the "gotta burp" fusses from the others, but that is the only one that is clear to me. The hardest thing right now is the fact that my sister is in town and will be for the next 3 weeks, so it's difficult to stay consistant because I'm not at home very much.

And now, my question: when I offer her the potty, I usually set her on it for 2 or 3 minutes before taking her off if she hasn't gone yet. Is that too long, or not long enough to wait?

·
Registered
677 Posts
It took a while before we consistently caught poops; I can't quite remember when is was even, but don't worry, it'll come in time

Maybe you could try some more nakey-butt time and make a different cueing noise for poop than pee? We used to make a (quite hilarious, especially when my then 3yo helped out) grunting noise to help her cue for poop, and she used it herself for a long time, too.

Don't get frustrated, just do something everyday, and then eventually things will work into a rhythm...you're doing great!!

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
I don't have advice, just support - it took us months and months to get on track for poops. I couldn't catch poops until she started eating solids and now she only poops once a day, or even once every two days.

So, even though it seems frustrating, you are doing great!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Give it some more time (few more days, maybe a few more weeks) and you'll figure it all out. One thing you may want to try is thinking of every miss as a warning shot and assume there's more to come- always! Usually there is, sometimes there isn't but at least your communicating that the potty should fit into that situation somewhere.

As for length of time on the potty it totally depends. I usually leave him on there as long as he's happy to sit. He'll *usually* let me know when he's done and make it VERY clear if he wants off NOW. If she'd be content to sit there all day then you'll have to use your own knowledge of her patterns and a little guess work.

Good luck, it sounds like you're doing great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.